Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    F2P is another concept of game.

If WoW goes F2P it will simply die.
    Maybe. F2P transitions tend to save tanking MMOs (as seen with Age of Conan, TERA, SWTOR, and others). CoH/V had its longevity significantly increased after a F2P transition before its untimely death at the hands of NCSoft's business decisions. Everquest is now F2P and seems to be going fairly strong.

That being said, I highly, highly doubt we'll see WoW free-to-play unless it's either only to level 70 (since BC content is now rolled into the classic purchase) or a full transition with a sub option when the game dips around or below 500k subs (which I think is when the game probably starts running at a loss or breaks even).

Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

Some times i certainly hate posters on these forums *Facepalm* The way you lift topic that has no reason for it. So yes they've had a loss of the playerbase but they are still on 8M+ players. That is eight million players +. 8.000.000. Are you suggesting they should go f2p? *facepalm* This topic should not even be raised until(if) the playerbase drops to less than 500k

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    That being said, I highly, highly doubt we'll see WoW free-to-play unless it's either only to level 70 (since BC content is now rolled into the classic purchase) or a full transition with a sub option when the game dips around or below 500k subs (which I think is when the game probably starts running at a loss or breaks even).
    Isn't Wrath included in Vanilla too, or is that the battle chest

But yeah, even if it'd end up running a profit for Blizzard, it's doubtful they'd make the switch because it's too risky a move.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I would be surprised it WOW has not gone F2P by the end of next year.
    I'm not surprised by anything. That being said, who would go F2P when you have 8.5 million people paying you $15 a month to play?

No it shouldn't.

No at this point and time it would be a cash loss for them to go free to play.

I can understand why Blizzard would stick to the current model. Going F2P would effectively cut off revenue from subscriptions. There are already making money like the F2P crowd with their own cash shop. So from a financial viewpoint going F2P would not make sense.
    What I don't get is why people think F2P would ruin the game. As long as they didn't make it P2W or pull a SWTOR, all it would do is remove a barrier to playing. It would bring back a lot talented old players that left and new ones. Why is having more people playing WoW a bad thing? Would you not want to see old friends returning to WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Why do Chinese players not count as much as western players?

Also, losing 16% of your customers is a big deal, regardless of whether or not you're market leader.
    Asia only accounts for 7-8% of Blizzard's income despite having more than half of WoW's subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm not surprised by anything. That being said, who would go F2P when you have 8.5 million people paying you $15 a month to play?
    Only half those subs (WoW West) pay $15/mo.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Considering there's still a profit to be made in the subscription model for the game somehow, no.
    The issue is not whether there is a profit to made from the subscription model rather is there more to made from the F2P model.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    If people have paid thousands, they need their heads examined.
    So far @ 1.200 euros over the past 7 years. Imagine that money spent on alcohol and bitches in nightclubs, so I see nothing wrong my head. Many people like to invest a lot in their hobby and there is nothing wrong with that.

No free to play is not a good model to resort to, unless that is how the game starts out like say, Marvel Heroes. But when another game such as a mmorpg starts out as a subscription and then goes free to play it's because it's struggling. WoW is in no way struggling. Tons of players leave WoW to try other games, but I'd gues 90% come back within a year. It's a classic and still very much a currently active game without as some mmorpgs have, any major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    So far @ 1.200 euros over the past 7 years. Imagine that money spent on alcohol and bitches in nightclubs, so I see nothing wrong my head. Many people like to invest a lot in their hobby and there is nothing wrong with that.
    $15/mo on WoW vs hundreds of dollars per week in nightclubs. Even skipping the nightclubs and just getting alcohol from a store would be $30/week.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

Maybe not this year, but if subs keep dropping that rapidly they will have no choice but to consider it. I can hardly see many new players starting with WoW at this point, and most old schoolers will get bored very quickly.

Nothing wrong with the F2P model trough, don't understand why people hate it so much...

I would be surprised it WOW has not gone F2P by the end of next year.
    There is zero chance of that happening. Seriously. There is zero incentive to do that even at half of its current subscription base.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

The issue is not whether there is a profit to made from the subscription model rather is there more to made from the F2P model.
    Personally? I think they'd lose the profit if they switched right NOW.

If they made the switch when subscribers are around 2 million, then it'd be a smart choice.

The whole thing is that a large number of people wouldn't do the new subscription model and simply do the free to play way.

In the subscription model you'd imagine things like full access to raids, BGs, PVP, etc, but not everyone does those things, and a large number of them would just stick to playing the game for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    There is zero chance of that happening. Seriously. There is zero incentive to do that even at half of its current subscription base.
    Here is some simple math for you.

Consider WoW having 3,5M subscribers in the West, being their main source of revenue (90% of it). Last quarter, a 1,3M subloss, let's say 500k of those belonged to the West.

6 more quarters like that and WoW will have how many subscribers left in the West? ... 500.000

Depending on how well or badly WoW will do over the next 1.5 - 2 years, the game going F2P might be more realistic than people imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post

Consider WoW having 3,5M subscribers in the West, being their main source of revenue (90% of it). Last quarter, a 1,3M subloss, let's say 500k of those belonged to the West.

6 more quarters like that and WoW will have how many subscribers left in the West? ... 500.000

Depending on how well or badly WoW will do over the next 1.5 - 2 years, the game going F2P might be more realistic than people imagine...
    It'll happen once subscribers are actually low.

For those of you who think 8 million+ is low..you are mistaken 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Should WoW go free to play? No...at least not yet.

The game is still too successful to take that option into consideration, and by successful I mean subscriber wise. Numbers speaks for itself. When the time comes, then we'll see if Blizzard decides to cut us a break. It may not be soon and it may not be within the next few years, but that time will come eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Personally? I think they'd lose the profit if they switched right NOW.

If they made the switch when subscribers are around 2 million, then it'd be a smart choice.

The whole thing is that a large number of people wouldn't do the new subscription model and simply do the free to play way.

In the subscription model you'd imagine things like full access to raids, BGs, PVP, etc, but not everyone does those things, and a large number of them would just stick to playing the game for free.
    The problem is you are not taking into account that subs are currently falling at a rapid rate and there have been no gains in sub numbers, apart from short lived spikes, since 2008. In order to maintain profitability they have to do something to reverse the sub losses it is clear that the content being released is not only failing to attract new customers but is, also, failing to hold on the existing players thus it is logical that the next step would be to look at the current pricing model.

If rumours are to be believed SWTOR had roughly 350k subs prior to switching to F2P it now has just under 500k whilst there is no guarantee that WOW would see similar gains it is certainly food for thought.

WOW has the capacity to deal with far more players than it currently has so what does it matter if a large number of players play for free? The key is that not all of them will and even if a player only purchases services for $3 or $4 per month that is $3 or $4 that Blizzard did not previously have when you take in account about the numbers that WOW could attract if it went F2P you are potentially looking at several million in additional income per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post

Thank you this is the point I keep making but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Sorry but the entire discusion is a insult towards not just Blizzard but other game developers.

Most (if not all) would sell their kidney to be in a similar position as Blizzard, even if the subs drops below 2m every other developer would still want to have WoW.

Every other MMO that was forced to go to f2p only did when the number of subs where so low (below 500k) that they had no choice to go f2p because otherwise the game would be dead. WoW with it's worldwide 8M players has such a strong position that it will take at least 2 years before Blizzard has to consider going to f2p.

What Blizzard actually should be aiming is to get new generation of players for the next expansion. Get the Warcraft movie out, make some new commercials, bundle the entire WoW expansions (including MoP) to a single pack so the games become less intimidating. At this point it isn't about quality or the game being to easy/hard, its about having a game that is 9 years old and that is bleeding subs because old players for whatever reason aren't returning anymore.