Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    the day wow goes f2p is the day wow dies, so no thanks

@op: if you don't see how it's declining, why are you listening to the thousands of pointless threads about it?

WoW's quality would go downhill if it went F2P, gauranteed, just like all the other mmos. they have to cut developement from content and make stuff to sell in the store, to remain profitable.

also, people are only going crazy because a large number of chinese people decided to quit WoW for one of the thousands of F2P mmos in their country. people see the number "1.3 million active accounts lost" instead of "8.3 million accounts, 8+ million more than most F2P mmos".

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    F2P is the future you're going to have to learn to embrace it sometime soon.
    Yep is the future for dying MMOs which desperately need to hook in players, it's not the future for a quality MMO and not in the best customer's interests.

Hell no, I would stop asap if that happens. meh f2p games suck IMO
    Our greatest influences will always define us.

Its already technically free to play up to level 20, what would be nice to see would be for the trial level cap to be raised to 40 or 60 or something like that. Also maybe removing some of the restrictions on trial accounts, like not being able to use the auction house or join guilds.

I remember seeing a comment by someone at Blizzard saying they were considering doing just this.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Chireru93 View Post

also, people are only going crazy because a large number of chinese people decided to quit WoW for one of the thousands of F2P mmos in their country. people see the number "1.3 million active accounts lost" instead of "8.3 million accounts, 8+ million more than most F2P mmos".
    Why do Chinese players not count as much as western players?

Also, losing 16% of your customers is a big deal, regardless of whether or not you're market leader.
    Last edited by ribald; 2013-05-19 at 11:35 AM.

I'd play if it was F2P. I do not spend enough time on the game to justify spending 15 dollars a month, but if it were free I'd totally play.

Quote Originally Posted by katji View Post
    Yet people don't realize the game still has 8mil+ players, it's the middle of the expansion, and a lot of the subs were lost in Asia. In my eyes, the game isn't dying. There's too many servers, and so adjusting a fix needs to happen. Anyway, going F2P? I don't like this mentality, and I don't like the idea of cash shops that come with it.
    this .... i dont think that it will go f2p anytime soon it still got over 8mill subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeos View Post
    Hell no, I would stop asap if that happens. meh f2p games suck IMO
    I think many people have a very dated view of the F2P model. A lot of the newer F2P games are very good and making money. Planetside 2 being one of them. I won't even look at a game now unless it's free to play. Although SWTOR F2P sucks, but only because EA are bunch of greedy feckers that don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    I think many people have a very dated view of the F2P model. A lot of the newer F2P games are very good and making money.
    Yup. It's like they've been living in a cave for the past ... 8 years.

Meh , i would not like to see that happen .

Quote Originally Posted by XanderZone View Post
    World of Warcraft has been going strong since its release, but recently I've been reading threads stating that it's in decline. I have not noticed anything "declining" but I'm starting to get worried. If going F2P would bring down the quality of the game, I wouldn't want it to, and I'm also aware that WoW is still one of the best MMORPGs worldwide, and that's why those threads confused me.

I would like to get other people's opinions on the matter, and what you think should be done.
    Wow may or may not go F2P... not all MMOs go there before they die... That said, the impending death of Wow is greatly exaggerated.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

Blizz will ride this cash cow till it reaches 2 mill subs then it will go f2p

At the end of the day the graphics look very dated compared to modern titles and its only customer loyalty that keeps it going

I want to see my character ive had since BC reach the end and blizz knows that but how long till the end is the question.

TBH i can 2 expacs till wow goes f2p then the servers shut down cause its no longer cost effective to keep them open

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Its already technically free to play up to level 20, what would be nice to see would be for the trial level cap to be raised to 40 or 60 or something like that. Also maybe removing some of the restrictions on trial accounts, like not being able to use the auction house or join guilds.

I remember seeing a comment by someone at Blizzard saying they were considering doing just this.

Edit:

Why do Chinese players not count as much as western players?

Also, losing 16% of your customers is a big deal, regardless of whether or not you're market leader.
    I love your idea of making the starter edition a bit better, so you have more to do. I hope they implement this some day.

No, and it won't go free to play until it is no longer profitable (i.e. there are only like a million subscribers left)
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.
    Friend Safari: Steel, Metang, Mawile, and Klefki.

Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    I think many people have a very dated view of the F2P model.
    I think a lot of people have tried a lot of F2P games, and walked away rather underwhelmed.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

F2P is another concept of game.

If WoW goes F2P it will simply die.

Also, there's no reason, it's most played MMO ever and still.

It's not possible for free to play to offer an increase in revenue at this time for wow. AKA: no. Besides, cost is not driving subs down. There are other reasons, but cost has got to be in the bottom 10%. People already complain about having to pay for server transfers. How much more would they complain with a true cash-shop? I realize Blizzard has some real-currency for in-game item transactions like the pet store, but that's super light, as far as that kind of thing goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Making starter edition able to use AH is a very unlikely thing to see. Its serves the purpose of limiting the usage of those accounts by people that are interested only on their own profict, like gold sellers.

Image someone posting a grey item on AH for the amount of gold a certain character has on a starter account, this is the same technique used by paying players to transfer gold from aliance to horde or vice-versa, in this case its being used to transfer gold to ilegal activities.

Being playing myself a starter account, those limitations serve the pourpose of preventing those accounts to be usage in such ilegal activities.

Stil, i think some things could be donne:

- Allow guild invites, but GM's would have to accept starter accounts by creating a specific guild rank. And Guild Bank would be locked for those players
    - Gold cap could be raised to 100 or 500 gold. The fact is that with Starter limitations the only utility of gold is to pay repairs.
    - I think the level cap could be raised at least untill level 24, most players of these accounts go for PvP, and facing players with more abilities its not fun at all. I also don't think level cap on these accounts should go over level 55.
    - Professitions cap could be raised aswell until 150 skill for level 24 or 225 for level 55.

Considering there's still a profit to be made in the subscription model for the game somehow, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think a lot of people have tried a lot of F2P games, and walked away rather underwhelmed.
    And where are they walking away too, WoW? Games all going F2P because in a fragmented market if you want to survive and make money you need as many players as you can get playing your game. You may walk away from a F2P game "underwhelmed" but not everyone will feel the same as you and in the end it doesn't cost anything to find out. If you like a game you stay and spend money on it. I've already spent 70 euros on PLanetside 2. A game I thought I would never like but, because it was F2P I tried it out. F2P is the way the market is going and it's a good thing.