Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Should WoW Go Free To Play?

World of Warcraft has been going strong since its release, but recently I've been reading threads stating that it's in decline. I have not noticed anything "declining" but I'm starting to get worried. If going F2P would bring down the quality of the game, I wouldn't want it to, and I'm also aware that WoW is still one of the best MMORPGs worldwide, and that's why those threads confused me.

I would like to get other people's opinions on the matter, and what you think should be done.
    Last edited by XanderZone; 2013-05-18 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Changed My Opinion

i'm pretty sure there's 1 to 2................. hundred threads already discussing this.

At this point in time, it would be both pointless and a loss of profit for WoW to go F2P.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    no.. dont see why any1 want it to go free to play.. if u cant awford such a small fee as 15 euro per month or like 135 swedish kr for me.. then your economy is weird..

10+ Year Old Account
    This is going to be an interesting thread. It'll either be completely one sided (more than likely everyone saying, "NO!!!!") or it'll be a perfect 50/50 split and flame wars will erupt.

As for my vote, at this point I don't think it really matters what they do. People who play WoW will play WoW no matter what.
    Call me House.

8.3 million subscribers and you think that micro-transactions are going to give them a higher income?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    This is going to be an interesting thread. It'll either be completely one sided (more than likely everyone saying, "NO!!!!") or it'll be a perfect 50/50 split and flame wars will erupt.

As for my vote, at this point I don't think it really matters what they do. People who play WoW will play WoW no matter what.
    or they would just do like swtor "if u dont pay month fee 60% of the game's feature is not availeble (cant spell that word) to u"

WoW will not go free to play unless it is in danger of becoming a money sink. At this point it is still NOWHERE near this fate.
    "You will bend to my will... with or without your precious sanity!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XanderZone View Post
    World of Warcraft has been going strong since its release, but recently I've been reading threads stating that it's in decline. I've had this idea even before I started reading those threads. Personally I think WoW would be better off going free to play for a number of reasons, but I'm starting this thread because I want to get other people's opinions. Tell me what you think and why.
    Yet people don't realize the game still has 8mil+ players, it's the middle of the expansion, and a lot of the subs were lost in Asia. In my eyes, the game isn't dying. There's too many servers, and so adjusting a fix needs to happen. Anyway, going F2P? I don't like this mentality, and I don't like the idea of cash shops that come with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell No. Maybe when it has 500k players but at 8 MILLION? they would have to be crazy. You think Swtor, Aion and now rift would have gone F2P if they had 8 Million player? Hell no. F2P is for games that have failed and wow isn't even close to failed yet. Then even wow will not fail it will just very slowly die.

It will not be F2P for atleast the next 6/7 years maybe even longer.
    Aye mate

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would like it to go F2P. It's not that I care about the $15 monthly sub. Maybe the devs would be disinclined to give content that is too time consuming. Which we all know the real purpose is to keep the subs up. rep, dailys, lockouts,, etc you all know. imo and NOT a wow hater.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not completely fixated on the thought of WoW going free to play, but in the long-run there really isn't a point at this stage. It was just an idea, but starter edition is probably good enough. My question is would the quality of the game (servers, connection, etc.) go down? If it would, then I'd probably change my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft has been going strong since its release, but recently I've been reading threads stating that it's in decline. I've had this idea even before I started reading those threads. Personally I think WoW would be better off going free to play for a number of reasons, but I'm starting this thread because I want to get other people's opinions. Tell me what you think and why.
    Well everyone and there dog has had this idea of wow going F2P your not the first or last person to have this idea, blizzard wont go F2P anytime soon, so either deal with it or play a F2P game, and my opinion since you asked is ill continue to play until im totally bored with the game.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Should it from a player perspective? Absolutely. It's stupid to have to pay that much money over time for a game that's no better than several games that don't have subscriptions. Not to mention that they still charge for the extra services. It's all a ripoff, no matter if people are willing to pay it or not.

Should it from a business perspective? Absolutely not. Ripoff or not, there's obviously a ton of people that are still willing to pay the subscription cost. There's no sensible reason from their end to change their successful model to one that might please more people total, but makes significantly less money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not completely fixated on the thought of WoW going free to play, but in the long-run there really isn't a point at this stage. It was just an idea, but starter edition is probably good enough. My question is would the quality of the game (servers, connection, etc.) go down? If it would, then I'd probably change my mind.
    Yes the quality of any games goes down when it goes F2P. I already canceled my Rift sub because it will turn to shit when it goes F2P like any other mmo i have played that has gone F2P.
    Aye mate

I would quit playing if it went F2P.

However, it still costs too much to start playing. A new player should pay no more 59.99 USD to buy a new video game. Since WoW is a subscription based game, it should just be the cost of the current expansion ($39.99).

I've lost countless new players because the start up cost to buy all of the expansions was too high. It's gone down in recent years, but it's still too high.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-05-18 at 11:27 PM.

Deleted
    I really thing f2p model has destroyed most MMO games. In the end if you wanna play proper on them you end up spending more than you would of sub based mmo's

10+ Year Old Account
    In no way do I think WoW is declining, for I have no evidence. I was just worried that it was in danger due to the other threads.

I would be surprised it WOW has not gone F2P by the end of next year.

Almost inevitable that quality will go down after going F2P. Less income -> less money to pay for developers -> less developers. Since you still need to push out content at a decent rate to keep players entertained, you will have to make concessions on the quality and amount of content.