Thread: Computer chair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I need to get a good chair too. Any recommendations? I'm in the U.S..

This is my chair, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Yes, it's $600... but it's also one of those "Last X you'll ever buy" things. Seriously, the thing is lifetime warranted against parts defects. Any time something breaks you just call them up and they ship you a replacement part.

15+ Year Old Account
    Generally spoken a real office chair will cost you a little. I know this because I am working in a company which works with high-profile office furniture manufacturers. The range is about 500 € and higher, our customers usually are offering theirs in 1,500-2,000 € range as well. Each chair usually classifies itself by design, ergonomics and economy. Chairs are usually trimmed for maximum ergonomics and even come with a medical certificate. But unfortunately as I said before they can be quite pricey. I generally recommend by experience to get a chair with dense polyester mesh for seating and depending on temperature an loose mesh on the back with the back having a separate rests for lower and upper back and head.. I also recommend to check for the ability to tilt seat, back and optionally arm rests separately because that makes sure that you do not have to lean back in order to have a healthy back posture. Most chairs come in modular fashion which means additional head and arm rests and such.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    RH Logic 400, expensive but totally worth it. I´ll never understand spending 6+ hours a day in a shitty chair and risking back injuries. Or go with RH Logic 300

http://www.ergofurniture.com.au/imag...ack_fabric.jpg

http://www.back2.co.uk/secure/images/products/5171.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    A good computer chair is pretty important, especially if you are a gamer who will spend alot of time sitting on it.

Points of interest whenever you buy a new chair:

• Is it comfortable? Padding etc. Sitting in the chair for a while and get a feel for how it feels. I sat in each chair in the warehouse for 3-5minutes getting a feel for it. Comfort is important, but not TOO comfortable. You want it comfortable enough that you can do stuff, but not so comfortable that you will fall asleep.
    • The recline. How far back can you recline in the chair? Say you want to kick your feet up on the desk, sit back and watch a whole season of your favorite tv show on netflix. Can this chair accomodate the necessary recline
    • The swivel. HOw loose can the swivel be, and will you hurt your neck if you swivel too fast. Can the swivel be adjusted?
    • The wheels. Will the wheels scratch your floor? How good are they and will you be able to move the chair around easily if you need to take the chair out to the living room or out into the backyard for a Christmas barbeque?
    • the arm rests. Are the armrests at a good height to fit under your desk? Do they have padding on them and can you adjust them to fit your needs?

just some of the things i think about.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra85 View Post
    Maybe I'm strange, but probably 90% of the time I'm using a computer, I'm not using the back rest or arm rests of my chair at all. I sit in the very front part of the seat and adjust the height of my desk so that my hands are situated at a good angle, naturally, without resting my arms on anything. I use my legs to balance myself, and I sit with a straight back. I could basically use any object of appropriate height as a computer chair.

However, your second point is good. the 10% of the time where I'm just watching movies or something I do recline.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Maybe I'm strange, but probably 90% of the time I'm using a computer, I'm not using the back rest or arm rests of my chair at all. I sit in the very front part of the seat and adjust the height of my desk so that my hands are situated at a good angle, naturally, without resting my arms on anything. I use my legs to balance myself, and I sit with a straight back. I could basically use any object of appropriate height as a computer chair.

However, your second point is good. the 10% of the time where I'm just watching movies or something I do recline.
    Try setting up your desk/chair with correct posture and work position in mind.

Feet flat on floor

Desk at a height where your elbows just rest comfortably on the desk if you let your arms hang at the sides with elbows bent.

Screen sitting low tilted slightly upwards. If you look straight ahead you should just be looking over your screen.

The seat on the chair should be tilted slightly downwards towards your feet. This is where most people go wrong and have that completely flat horizontal seat. Tilting the seat slightly forwards makes it much more natural to maintain the correct posture.

For starters have the chair locked like that and then just recline it when watching movies or something

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Try setting up your desk/chair with correct posture and work position in mind.
    Yeah, that's basically the idea I was going with. I've been doing it basically that way for so long that it's just naturally for me to sit without using arm rests or the seat back. Actually, learned it from a woman I used to work with a few years ago who would sit on one of those large exercise balls instead of a char while at her desk.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra85 View Post
    A good computer chair is pretty important, especially if you are a gamer who will spend alot of time sitting on it.

• Is it comfortable? Padding etc. Sitting in the chair for a while and get a feel for how it feels. I sat in each chair in the warehouse for 3-5minutes getting a feel for it. Comfort is important, but not TOO comfortable. You want it comfortable enough that you can do stuff, but not so comfortable that you will fall asleep.
    • The recline. How far back can you recline in the chair? Say you want to kick your feet up on the desk, sit back and watch a whole season of your favorite tv show on netflix. Can this chair accomodate the necessary recline
    • The swivel. HOw loose can the swivel be, and will you hurt your neck if you swivel too fast. Can the swivel chair for desk be adjusted?
    • The wheels. Will the wheels scratch your floor? How good are they and will you be able to move the chair around easily if you need to take the chair out to the living room or out into the backyard for a Christmas barbeque?
    • the arm rests. Are the armrests at a good height to fit under your desk? Do they have padding on them and can you adjust them to fit your needs?

just some of the things i think about.
    The second point feels useless for obese people.