Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Unprovable, but yes it's possible. I personally don't think it's very likely though because it implies that the universe is fundamentally androcentric (or at least vivocentric). Everything we know about the universe seems to imply that life is just one of many natural phenomena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    Maybe you 'transfer' because every 'you' is linked across space and time. Of course that would mean you are hoping around between the different 'yous' as it were and never remembering enough to throw off your current location. IE you ended up in a universe with flying cars you wouldn't go "omg those don't exist" or whatever.
    you got it, thats exactly how i think. Im not saying its true but what if..
    its pretty fun to think about.
    you could wake up one day in a completely different universe and everything is opposite yet you wouldnt know it. because you think that is normal. and have no memory of your old life..

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    So some people believe in alternate universes where you are there but everything is different.

I was thinking what if everytime you die, you wake up in another alternative universe and your "death" was a dream.
    not knowing in fact you actually did die in another dimension and everybody you knew lives on without you.

I've had plenty of dreams where i died, some at the theme park some getting stabbed.
    What if i actually did die in an alternative universe and when i died, i came into this life thinking that death was just a dream?

What do you guys think?
    What mechanism would link your different selves together like this? If another "you" in a different universe had different life experiences, wouldn't that make him/her a different person?

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    -10 DKP for failing to qualify as a theory.

That aside, there is no evidence that any part of you survives bodily death, especially your thoughts and memories. All evidence points to the contrary, that once you have died, your brain shuts down and all those things that made 'you' are gone.
    You are wrong.

While there might not be any (or much) evidence of there being anything after "death", there is also no evidence that there isn't.

So all evidence points no where and leaves an open question.

Do you believe in alternate universes?
    if yes could you explain abit about it to me.

if no then go away.. We dont need someone as pretentious as you commenting here
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretentious
    Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
    I'm not sure how impressive I was trying to be by stating the obvious, which is that he asked for more specifics and you simply restated your first post, a.k.a you sidestepped the request for specific details of your theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaalu View Post
    What mechanism would link your different selves together like this? If another "you" in a different universe had different life experiences, wouldn't that make him/her a different person?
    What if everyone and everything is actually all one thing experiencing almost infinite versions of it self at the same "time"? And when I say "time" I'm not talking about the linear version, rather something more like a movie that plays from "start" to "end" but you can see any part of the movie at any time, outside the "normal order".

Go ahead and take a look at your arm. It is your arm, you control it, but your arm is made up of billions if not trillions of individual living cells (Same for the rest of your body). What links your consciousness / being to those cells? You don't really consciously control them, but in some form they are apart of you and make you who you are as a whole.

What if we are simply the "cells" of the universe?

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    What if we are simply the "cells" of the universe?
    I like this analogy, because we can extend it to say that some of us are cancer cells.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I like this analogy, because we can extend it to say that some of us are cancer cells.
    Humans are a disease..
    or you could say we are a cancer to this earth.

we will take everything the earth has to offer then leave it to die, while we look for another planet to destroy.
    just like cancer

In order to call it a theory you need to satisfy these two questions:

#1. What repeatable observation necessitates this proposed phenomenon?
    #2. How is the "next universe" you live in determined?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    In order to call it a theory you need to satisfy these two questions:

#1. What repeatable observation necessitates this proposed phenomenon?
    #2. How is the "next universe" you live in determined?
    For number 2 I guess one could say that it's randomly determined (but that presents its own problems). As for number 1, it's not even wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    For number 2 I guess one could say that it's randomly determined (but that presents its own problems). As for number 1, it's not even wrong.
    Random isn't allowed in science. Which is why String Theory can legitimately be called a scientific theory despite being untestable. String Theory seeks to take the random out of Quantum Mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Random isn't allowed in science. Which is why String Theory can legitimately be called a scientific theory despite being untestable. String Theory seeks to take the random out of Quantum Mechanics.
    But aren't they randomly vibrating?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    But aren't they randomly vibrating?
    It depends on which school of "String Theory" you subscribe to. But solving the randomness of Quantum Mechanics with a completely different random process seems kind of silly.

Most schools of string theory utilize hyper-dimensional geometry to explain everything though.

Then you have "M-Theory" which is the damned school that started the whole "alternate universes" thing.

Which is why alternate universe discussions pluck my strings; the only "science" behind it is an emerging school of a scientific theory that is untestable by its very nature. So to presume that alternate universes exist is to draw upon argumentum ad ignorantiam. They haven't been ruled out, but they can't be ruled out.

EDIT: Oh, and all M theory actually does is just add a 10th dimension that satisfies the mathematics required to say that "all of the string theories, even the ones that contradict each other are correct, they are just different because of alternate universes."
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-05-20 at 05:55 AM.

As all versions of string theory remain untested, to dismiss all variants which are indeterministic simply because the concept seems silly to you is quite unscientific. So is your statement that random isn't allowed in science, as the whole basis of such a statement stems from arbitrarily picking one interpretation of string theory over another.

You also seem to misunderstand the goal of string theory. String theory isn't an attempt to "solve the randomness" of QM, it's an attempt to unify GR and QM. Indeed, string theory is a quantum theory.

Before I'm misunderstood, I'm not even defending the weird supernatural alternate universe dream thing that the OP put forward. Also, String Theory isn't the only thing which allows for alternate universes. Eternal Inflation, an extension of the Big Bang, requires that multiple universes exist.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2013-05-20 at 06:20 AM.

Theories are not just any old thing that pops into your head that sounds good.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

We have no way of ever knowing and therefore such an assertion has more in common with religion than with science. Sure, could be. But it isn't likely than one of infinite other possibilities.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    From ass hair removal tips to theories about alternative universes. MMO champ has it all.

So some people believe in alternate universes where you are there but everything is different.

I was thinking what if everytime you die, you wake up in another alternative universe and your "death" was a dream.
    not knowing in fact you actually did die in another dimension and everybody you knew lives on without you.

I've had plenty of dreams where i died, some at the theme park some getting stabbed.
    What if i actually did die in an alternative universe and when i died, i came into this life thinking that death was just a dream?

What do you guys think?

I dig a theory like this. I believe life and the universe are linked and time is infinite. In 'time' conditions in the universe will be such that a planet is formed that gives way to the creation of life. That life will end at some point, then your 'soul' transfers to your next life. Not quite reincarnation, but you awake in your new life, none the wiser to what happen in the previous.

I don't believe in a supreme being as such. But the thought of just dying and that's your lot, is shit. The fact we are here is a miracle and your life shouldn't be squandered. I guess as I get older, it's these thoughts that sadden me when you hear of people being killed, particularly child killings, and those in a shit state like Africa or Syria right now.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

So a universe is filled with things set at a point in time just waiting for 1 person to wake up from their death? Can't find any holes in that sound logic.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I believe in an infinite amount of parallel universes, called the multiverse. Everything that is not impossible will happen, is happening, has happened. Why all at the same time? Because time is irrelivant in the multiverse.

I never dreamed that I died, so maybe I'm immortal?

What I think happens is the same as when you become 'aware' (inside the womb) but then the other way round, in my hypothesis, when you die, your consciousness doesn't simply dissapear, it just merges with the Universe, because I think the Universe is aware (as in, it works like a quantumcomputer), and every consciousness is just a part of the universe that became seperated from this megaultraconsciousness (you could call it God, but thats just... meh).

So in short, when you die, your consciousness becomes 1 with the universe since your consciousness is a part of the universe to begin with.
    In a way, we are all Hitler, Jezus, Mao, Osama, deers, apes, insects,...
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-05-20 at 07:21 AM.