Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

5.4 New Feature - Cross-faction dungeoning ?

I imagine that the Siege of Orgrimmar would be the suitable time to add cross-faction raids and dungeons to the game. (Rift had this feature since their last expansion this year already, so would only make sense that Blizzard at one point would do it as well.) In the Vol'jin and Baine cutscene they are after all talking about seeking out allies 'beyond the Horde' to take over Orgrimmar.

Basically it would let you make 25 or 10-man raids with a mix of Horde and Alliance, LFR will pool both Horde and Alliance together in the same raids, and LFD will also pool players from Horde and Alliance together.

Anyone want to take a bet this is gonna be the super secret grand feature in 5.4 that Ghostcrawler has been talking about?

I would only want cross-faction dungeons if I could kill Alliance once we zoned in.

considering they wont even allow the factions to communicate with each other, i doubt this.

kinda kills the whole world of 'WAR' craft thing.

This could make sense for the SoO LFR because both factions fight for the same thing.
    But to make it a feature for all future dungeons and raids doesn't sound very realistic. After all the core of the game is the war between the two factions.
    And there are enough people for quick queues and this is not needed from a quality of life point of view.

I don't see how Rift doing something like that has anything to do with why WoW should. It would make absolutely no sense in WoW and there's absolutely no reason for it to happen.

I think there's a better chance that everyone in this thread will loot Invincible this week than there is of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    considering they wont even allow the factions to communicate with each other, i doubt this.

kinda kills the whole world of 'WAR' craft thing.
    Yes and no...

If you read the lore/books you'd see that there has been many occasions when the Horde and Alliance have had to work together. They could make quest chains in which you start to learn the different languages of the many factions and races of Azeroth etc as it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have different languages spoken between the factions when you consider how many races there are now in terms of those we play and the NPC's we interact with through out the different zones and neutral quest givers.

I don't know if I'd like the idea of having mixed raid/dungeon groups but the idea of having the barrier between factions get thinner wouldn't be such a bad thing when you consider just how many realms are imbalanced now. This would give those realms and others a chance to extend their pool of possible recruits for things like guild recruitment, the only thing would be that they would have to add in some sort of quest chains like they did with the Pandaren where you choose which faction you want to be a part of but also possible quest chains you can pick up if you decide to betray the Alliance in this case and join the Horde and vice versa.

They would have to be fairly substantial quest chains though so as to stop people from just changing faction whenever they felt like it, maybe something that would have to be done over the course of several weeks (once a week, weekly quests?) where at the end you cut all ties to your current faction and become a full fledged member of the opposing faction. I know the whole thing of paying for faction changing would come into it later but to be brutally honest, with the amount of realm transfers going on nowadays due to dying realms, I'm sure they could work something out with this. They could even have it so you have to buy the quest from say the Blizzstore for a lower amount then the current price of a faction change that way they could make it more justifiable in terms of financial gain and still allow players an easier transition with some fun along the way rather then, go account page, pick faction change, pay X and wait however long it takes for your character to be moved.

Maybe also add in some sort of reputation decline such as you buy the quest, start the chain (pick up the first of many weekly quests) and gradually work your way towards losing rep with all your horde only factions and start building up your alliance rep (and vice versa) where upon the end of the chain you're completely hated by your current faction and become neutral with the new one. Just an idea.

Heh not that I've ever put much thought into it lol...

FOR THE HORDE!!!

Would this be considered a "big" feature?

I don't pretend to be a programmer, but would it be particularly difficult to just remove whatever initial restriction there was that separated Horde/Alliance groups in dungeon queues?

If this is the feature, Blizzard is going to get a ton of shit, because even though they haven't been hyping it up like crazy, they've certain done so more than just "errbody can group with errbody."

My money is on scaled content.

It would alleviate some of the biggest problems on some of the low population realms in finding people on the realm to do organized raiding, which would probably be one of the main goals of such a feature.

5.3/5.4/MoP is one of the most Alliance vs. Horde focused patches/expansions there has ever been. There is literally no chance of this happening.

It's most likely that thing about "Learning how to tank" solo instances or w/e they said they would implent that in 5.1.
    Monk main Casual

people putting quotes in signatures are often retarded according to science.

I'd love the ability to communicate cross-faction without RealID. :-\
    Tiriel <Demise> of US-Kel'Thuzad

Thank you to Yoni for this AMAZING signature!

Is possible, the whole legendary quest chain is about ending the war and joining forces to fight the greater evil.

Rift did it and kept their BGs, so that wouldn't change.
    World PVP is dead so who cares about that (and has been for a long time).
    I doubt we'd be able to visit the other capitals.
    It would almost certainly mean the next expansion is about the Burning Legion.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-05-20 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    I would only want cross-faction dungeons if I could kill Alliance once we zoned in.
    And before you could kill a ally player I be there and clock you before you could get off a spell.....ahhh yes the days of Naxx in NR....miss those days of blowing the horde out the doorway using a druid/boomie and let them fall to their deaths...or use the portal into the raid area to deflag and come back out and set up another horde haha....was fun times up there at the summoning stone of Naxx....

I would much rather have Cross Realm Raid and Dungeons rather than Cross Faction Raids. Imagine having a Guild that spans across multiple Realms. Wow! That would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Garush View Post
    It's most likely that thing about "Learning how to tank" solo instances or w/e they said they would implent that in 5.1.
    I don't think the "learning to tank" or "learning to heal" systems can be implemented in WoW, which has a "teen" rating.

Because the easy part of tanking and healing is tanking and healing. The hard part is "fuck you retard I can tank better on my resto shaman."

No, please no. This is just a bad idea. It's called WARcraft for a reason.

Id rather just be able to talk cross faction, its bloody stupid that a human and forsaken cant talk.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Would this be considered a "big" feature?

I don't pretend to be a programmer, but would it be particularly difficult to just remove whatever initial restriction there was that separated Horde/Alliance groups in dungeon queues?

If this is the feature, Blizzard is going to get a ton of shit, because even though they haven't been hyping it up like crazy, they've certain done so more than just "errbody can group with errbody."

My money is on scaled content.
    Ghostcrawler even said at one point (I'll try to find the post) that he thinks they'll announce it and some people will say, "That's it?"

If anyone's been hyping it, it's been the players, not Blizz. They've only referred to it as the big, unannounced feature because that's what we've been referring to it as.

That being said, when the feature was originally brought up it was in reference to a question comparing the game-changing features of the past expansions (LFD/LFR ... not sure if xmog was listed) to anything we might get in MoP, so I think it is going to represent a permanent change to how the game is played, if not necessarily a huge, or even big, one. There can be small-but-permanent changes.

Part of me thinks scaled content is a good bet, part of me thinks there's no chance. Scaled content limits their ability to rehash old content, because then they'd be competing with themselves. As in: all the existing old content, revisted via scaling, is one pool of "at-level" content. Bringing something back at max level (in the vein of Onyxia in Wrath, heroic dungeons in Cata/MoP) reduces that pool of content in favor of at-max-level content.

I guess it just depends on their willingness to update older raids/dungeons periodically when considering you could have an "at level" (via scaling) experience there already. In one sense it vastly increases available "at level" content, but in another sense it reduces it.

The question for the players is: would you rather have been able to scale down to original Ony rather than having it brought back, would you rather have scaled down to original Deadmines / SFK / Scarlet Halls + Monastery / Scholomance than to have had the new versions ? Because I doubt they would make the investment to make max-level versions if you could scale down. And this may or may not also mean the updates for the appearance/lore for those dungeons may not have happened either.

Also maybe scaling could mean scaling old content up. This, I don't see happening. People would demand the gear drops would scale also, and that would just be a balancing nightmare. No chance they re-visit every single piece of old gear in the game yet again, because to check them for max-level scaling would be even more work than what they did for Cata.

I guess it's a matter of how confident they are with being able to pump out original max-level content without relying on revisiting/updating. And maybe they'd still make updated at-max-level versions of stuff we'd be able to scale down to. Hrm.

Considering "rehashing" (Which by and large is not even the correct term to use in the cases. ZA and Onyxia are really the only actual examples) content was never a quarter as big of an issue as people pretended it was, I don't even think that's a legitimate point.

All they said was that it was something that would keep people busy. Scaling content would do that. They dont need to add drops to anything old, they just have it going on. People still do xmog runs in most of the instances these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Id rather just be able to talk cross faction, its bloody stupid that a human and forsaken cant talk.
    But what would they say?

"Yo momma so fat that when the chicken crossed the road, she like, where my fried chicken goin?"