Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Obliterate and Killing machine

As the title implies should a 2h-frost dk use obliterate outside killing machine in pve?

Also if i have just gotten within mellee range with some runic power available should i use obliterate on a 100% player without killing machine up or should i use a couple of frost strikes till killing machine is up?

if i decide to use obliterate whenever available for max dps should i save blood charges so i can get runes when killing machine is up and use obliterate even if it wouldn't be available or should i spam blood tap on 5 charges for max dps?

lastly is it ok to occasionally use obliterate without blood plague up(on low hp targets,not within a couple of gcds of dyinh though)?
    Last edited by mmoc99d570be5c; 2013-05-20 at 09:19 AM.

Deleted
    Soul Reaper when target below 35%
    Obliterate when Killing Machine is procced and both diseases are on the target
    Diseases
    Obliterate When any runes are capped
    Frost Strike if RP capped
    Howling Blast if Rime procced
    Frost Strike
    Obliterate

Horn of Winter

Taken from EJ's thread.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by vassilisz View Post
    As the title implies should a 2h-frost dk use obliterate outside killing machine in pve?

Also if i have just gotten within mellee range with some runic power available should i use obliterate on a 100% player without killing machine up or should i use a couple of frost strikes till killing machine is up?

if i decide to use obliterate whenever available for max dps should i save blood charges so i can get runes when killing machine is up and use obliterate even if it wouldn't be available or should i spam blood tap on 5 charges for max dps?

lastly is it ok to occasionally use obliterate without blood plague up(on low hp targets,not within a couple of gcds of dyinh though)?
    In PvE, Obliterate is your bread and butter. If you have the RP, Outbreak, if not Shroom or Blight, and start swinging. If KM procs and you have an Obliterate available, sweet. Use it. If not, then use it on Frost Strike UNLESS your Obliterate will be up in two or fewer seconds. Obliterate all the things, always.

PvP? Not really sure. I think if the player has diseases go ahead and Obliterate, otherwise, Chains of Ice + Plague Strike, then Obliterate. I save Frost Strike for when runes are on CD, but then again, I usually PvP in Blood spec :P

If you're 2h, aren't you supposed to take Runic Empowerment? In which case, you don't have to worry about blood charges. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a bad player. As 2h-Frost, I want to make sure that I can Obliterate as much as possible. I've glyphed Outbreak so I never cast Plague Strike. I figure Obliterate is worth 2 Frost Strikes (maybe it's not depending on how much mastery I have). Either way, I don't use Plague Strike because it interrupts my rune sets. If I'm RP starved and can't apply Outbreak and my Blight is on CD, then I'll just Obliterate anyways.

But again, I'm a bad player that wants to play the class as smoothly and as relaxing as I can. I'm not interested in topping the charts as long as I enjoy myself. Stressing about my rotation and maxing DPS is .... well, stressful, so I play a very relaxed style.

Head over to Elitist Jerks if you want max dps strats.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    For PvP purposes I would imagine it's obliterate on cloth/leather due to lower armor levels, with FS on plate as it's magic and bypasses armor. Not sure about mail; would guess you would use FS.

The core of dk pve rotation involves:

oblierate
    frost strike
    howling blast

to answer your question, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    That's wrong. Not your fault, you would reasonably expect EJ to be correct, particularly since Mendenbarr knows full well that it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    That's wrong. Not your fault, you would reasonably expect EJ to be correct, particularly since Mendenbarr knows full well that it's wrong.
    There is nothing about that statement that is inconsistent with my post.
    "I have it all simmed."
    Euliat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I don't expect EJ (Mendenbarr) to be always correct but I think there aren't big mistakes there.

Before I'm going to argue further I'd like to know what are you referring to? Rime should be higher on priority?

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul Reaper when target below 35%
    Diseases
    Obliterate When any runes are capped
    Frost Strike if RP capped
    Howling Blast if Rime procced
    Frost Strike
    Obliterate

Horn of Winter

Taken from EJ's thread.

Hope it helps.

Thats for DW not 2h frost BTW. I think some of you are arguing 2h and some DW. He said 2h so you'd OB over FS even outside of KM, especially since you don't change playstyle for KM at all.

Deleted
    Can't be for DW because SR as DW is a minor dps gain in many circumstances (depends on set and str procs) and you don't waste a KM proc on OB as DW unless you don't have the choice (rp issue mostly) and if i read this list correctly from top priority to lesser it's not the case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Thats for DW not 2h frost BTW.
    That's for 2h If it would have been for DW you would have seen FS and HB higher on priority than OB.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's for 2h If it would have been for DW you would have seen FS and HB higher on priority than OB.
    You're not going to want to FS>OB unless the FS has a chance of procing RE though or to avoid capping on RP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vassilisz View Post

1. Yes! Check here for a nicely structured priority list: http://www.icy-veins.com/frost-death...owns-abilities
    3. Yes do a couple of frost strikes, but only if your runes aren't capped (which they probably are, in which case you will want to start with an Obliterate - with diseases up on the target).
    4. I personally like Runic Impowerment more and when I really need the burst to finish someone off, I use Runic weapon to spam Obliterates.
    5. Not really. Just use a Plague Strike if Outbreak is on CD before Obliterating.

Deleted
    FS always had a chance to proc RE, it's a flat %. You don't OB when rp > 76.
    You don't use RE for DW unless you can't handle BT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inambour View Post
    That is incorrect. You don't FS unless 1. RP capped/going to RP cap or 2. Need to proc runes w/ RE.

From EJ, to explain why Inamour and ItalianDK are wrong.

"Next, Frost Strike; Make sure you're not Frost Striking when you don't actually have the correct number of runes of the same pair on cooldown" If you use FS when you only have 1 rune of each type on CD, you have NO CHANCE to proc RE.

The reason that OB is under FS is ONLY ONLY ONLY when you have NO DISEASES on a target, or can get runes through RE with a FS. The only time you're delaying OB over FS is when runes are already recharging, so delaying OB isn't costing you opportunity cost, and FS can proc runes. This is a very specific set of circumstances. By doing this you increase the chance of your next OB being buffed by KM.
    Last edited by Darkfriend; 2013-05-21 at 08:13 AM.

Deleted
    You're not going to want to FS>OB unless the FS has a chance of procing RE though or to avoid capping on RP.
    Yes, that's obvious of course. You are not going to FS if you have all your runes available or at least 1 fully depleted rune.

Deleted
    I'm not talking about 2H frost since you guessed smth about DW 2 posts above.
    You are going to get rp cap at 76 if you OB.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking about 2H frost since you guessed smth about DW 2 posts above.
    You are going to get rp cap at 76 if you OB.
    BUT THE OP WAS TALKING ABOUT 2h FROST SO WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT DOES NOT MATTER.

Kapesh?

Deleted
    Think someone is upset.
    Thats for DW not 2h frost BTW. [...]
    May I ?
    Only correcting your errors, control yourself >.<.

10+ Year Old Account
    FS doesn't always have a chance to proc RE BTW.