Jin'rokh: How to best dodge the lightning balls?

So a question we are a 10 man raiding guild that just started to do Throne of Thunder Hardmodes..
    But we seem to have a lot of problems with the transisons either people is dieing of bolts or just flat out ligtning aoe damage?

So any advice of how to best dodge the bolts/balls?

You do not have to move much normally... Turn your camera to an eagle eye view and just move when a ball is coming directly at you. If you still can't do it have your melee run to ranged, so half their screen won't be taken up by a giant troll.

Deleted
    easier to stand on the grates on the outside of the room imo.

Always run directly away from the bolts, you don't want to go by the side of any bolts which may result in multiple hits. I don't know if they already did something to the hitboxes since it seems a lot easier now or I'm just getting very used to the dodging.

But yeah, move camera to up and always run away from them. If one accidentally gets close, you might not want to bother turn around anymore since at least I for first times got hit twice by a bolt because of turning around when too close to one. Pop personal cooldowns here if you feel it's necessary, saving healthstone for these phases is highly recommended aswell since there shouldn't be damage going on outside of storms.

edit: To mention, I play a rogue and don't bother to stop DPSing unless a pillar spawns right on top of the boss. Generally you want to stay away from the pillars aswell since it gives you plenty more time to plan ahead.

Good luck :-)

Deleted
    Tell your dps not to worry about doing damage during the Lightning Storm thingy. That way they can concentrate on avoiding the balls and thus making the healers jobs a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Orasay1996 View Post
    So a question we are a 10 man raiding guild that just started to do Throne of Thunder Hardmodes..
    But we seem to have a lot of problems with the transisons either people is dieing of bolts or just flat out ligtning aoe damage?

So any advice of how to best dodge the bolts/balls?
    Tell them to stop nuking the boss during storms, if they still die, they need either learning or replacing.

Mileage varies and its up to people to find what works for them.

The suggestion of the grates works well for some people because it reduces the number of directions you have to look out for. The enrage on this fight is really generous, don't worry about dpsing at all and just try to survive. People fall over from getting hit btw, the actual aoe dmg is unlikely to kill a person on its own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to keep as much distance as I can from the lightning pillars that spawn the orbs, it's much harder to dodge them when they spawn near you. Then again there's some RNG to that and I play a rogue which means I'm pretty much indestructible with perma-Feint up. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Tell them to stop nuking the boss during storms, if they still die, they need either learning or replacing.
    Pretty much this.. Thats how we do it in 10m.
    What makes the whole encounter Heroic is the transition. Everything else is pretty simple, and very easy.

Dont DPS the Boss. Every1 should stand close to each other, so u dont run LoS for the healers.. Use defensive CDs, to reduce AoE dmg.
    And use stuff like Healing Tide, Vampiric, etc etc. Stuff that can help you survive.

The transítion is the only thing to worry about. Atleast imo.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, it is not necessairy to dps the boss during those phases. Unless your damage is shit, you won´t even come near anywhere the fourth storm. Second, we tried everything. Stacking up with somebody who has a mark, stacking up and moving once the pillars come down... In the end we found out, that it was the best for us to spread up. We just ensured, that everyone is in the reach of a healer and then we mind our own buisness. Healers won´t have time to spam much heal anyway. It´s easier to dodge the balls if you stand with your back to a wall, cause you don´t have to worry about lightningballs from behind. Also, bird-view-mode engage --> piece of cake. The ticking damage of the phase isn´t so bad. You can easily survive it with a Healthstone/some HoTs while dodging all lightningballs. Good luck.

Puddles = Damage Phase. Transitions = Survival Phase. Easiest way to see it.
    Pretty much that. We have always done a "general area" FFA style. Head to the grate clockwise around the room just like the throwing path. Use a CD like Aura, Rally, Banner, Healthstones, all to help lesson some of the damage so the healers can avoid lightning orbs as well, and don't have to 100% focus green bars.

If people are using defensive cds to block Ionization (Iceblock, deterrence, cloak, AMS - for example) but are failing at lightning storm, tell them to stop using it on Ionization and just get dispelled manually outside the pool. The ionization is a much more controlled situation with a lot less "RNG" going on. Only takes a little over 2x lightning storm orbs to equate to the ionization explosion damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll say what I told everyone else on my raid team: "Use your peripheral vision."

Personally I stare at my character and don't look at anything but his placement. I feel that way I can more easily dodge the lightning balls.

I think what we did will help you a ton. We wiped 60 times on this ( we pull very fast, 30 pulls a night ) and died to lightning balls quite often. We averages 27 lighting ball hits PER Lightning Phase on our 60 wipes and after we changed our tactic we killed it in 5 pulls and only 9 balls hit us over all 3 phases we did on our kill.

What we were doing was going to the grate, spreading out and just dodging. What we changed was this:

We stacked all 10 people on top of each other (move 5-10 seconds early just because the dps check isnt important if you're 2 healing especially, if 3 healing maybe you need to push the deeps)
    We stack on one of the brown circles on the grate. When the lightning pillars spawn (the things that spawn the 4 balls) 1 of the 4 balls will always pick 1 person to target and go towards. Which means when the first wave of Pillars spawn (4-8 pillars) you should have 12-20 balls coming STRAIGHT at your group from a few different angles. Once this happens and the balls are getting close, people strafe and dodge for the rest of the phase. The first wave will miss all of your players which is 75% of the balls. The phase only lasts 15-18 seconds. You will get 10 of hte seconds negated completely

When you group up use your positional CDs (Spirit link, Divine Barrier) When spreading, use HTT, RAlly, Devo, etc.

Good luck

Make everyone delete recount and use surviving as the measure of success. One thing I found was that you don't need to move that much. Some people tend to move constantly even when it's not necessary and that tends to be where you run in to trouble... Or lightning.

One way to 'cheese' the balls is to make a stack point far away from the boss, for example on the grates. have everyone GET THERE BEFORE THE BALLS START COMING. now everyone is stacked on the grate, the balls all go to that point. move to the other side of the grate. when the balls start going to that part of the grate, move back to the first point. repeat.

the pillars are fixed spots but the balls choose a person to aim at initially.

Stand on the grates. You won't regret it.

Seriously though, we got our first kill after tons of durp wipes, because we made people go to grates.

I just stay within melee range of Jin'rokh and sidestep back and forth, for the most part. If there is a pillar near me, I make sure I'm at least 10 yrds from it, and that should give me enough time to dodge the lightning coming from it. However, I'm a rogue and can survive eating quite a few lightning balls with feint and smokebomb. Just be sure that when the storm ends, and the boss starts moving again, that you continue to watch out for any lightning balls still travelling from the far side of the room. I know we had a fair number of careless deaths that happened just after the lightning storm was over during our early attempts.

I was fairly proud of my dps last week on the fight... until i actually looked up what other rogues were doing, and found that my 230k dps wasn't anything special. XD
    Tishelle (Rogue) - Tisha (Mage) - Tishandra (DK) - Tisharia (Priest) - Tishanna (Warlock) - Tishie (Monk) - Tishette (Boosted Warrior )

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    Make everyone delete recount and use surviving as the measure of success. One thing I found was that you don't need to move that much. Some people tend to move constantly even when it's not necessary and that tends to be where you run in to trouble... Or lightning.
    Skada (or recount, I guess) is the best way for the OP to get his answer though. Look at Damage Taken by Spell, it should be lots and lots of lightning storm damage and only a few lightning diffusion hits. Look at deaths, if people are getting tagged (especially multiple times - that's almost certain death), get them to reevaluate their plan.

There's good advice for dodging in this thread (be ready early for LS if you need to, birds eye view, use grates), but it's totally possible for just lightning storm to be killing people. People need to be in range of healers, and healers need to be getting HoTs out on the raid. I dps the boss the whole time, while running around (Warlock), and if I get hit, or see that I'm going to get trapped, I pop defensive cooldowns and/or healthstone. I can tell you though that many of my deaths early on during lightning phases were not because I got hit, but because Lightning Storm itself hurts.

If you provided logs we could answer the question, but I guess if you logged fights you could answer it yourself. Something to consider.

I found it best to look at it like Alysrazor tornadoes, or if you havent raided in that tier : Find an reasonably open spot so you have some overview of your character, slighty away from the points they come from. When one comes to you, you start running in a circle around it, when another comes, you run a circle around that one. I found that to be the best way for me to deal with them.