Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What will 5.3 do to the price of ghost iron ore/bars?

There has been a slight dip in the prices of ghost iron lately, to me the prices should be going up at the current point in time because of 5.3 mining changes.

Everything remaining constant, spawn rates, yield rates for 525 miners, etc, the introduction of the iron nuggets devalues the possible yields of the ore by a significant amount, especially if tons of people are trying out their new lvl 1 mining abilities in pandaria. This will severely restrict the amount of ghost iron in the economy, which I think in reality was blizzards intention as it can be seen as a ninja nerf to the nodes, instead of reducing spawn rates.

I am not a miner, I am simply a speculator wondering if buying all of the ghost iron on my server was a good idea?

Deleted
    The trend is always downwards, but it depends on your server.

People dont mine becayse its boring.
    Miners give up mining because of bots.

The fact that you cna now level in pandaria, will require people to have a free profession slot and also to stick with it which most will not.
    If the overall supply increases then prices will go down.
    If overall demand increases they will go up.

What sort of new gear comes in 5.3? PvP? Demand for that will increase as well as gems etc, but you may be facing a fall off in pve demand as people get less frequent upgrades and take a break over summer. Having masses of stock is only good if it gives you some way of meeting a demand i.e you can sell it or it also helps you control supply. Time will tell for you.

Maxed Miners will still only pick the straight ore. But trillium should see a rise, so ore should see a rise as well.

Deleted
    But in the big scheme of things the epic quest is neglible compared to the overall demand for ore that comes from JC and BS.
    Fincher you do come out with some extraordinary ideas. Yes ofc mining is fun for some players, but the reasons most people dont persist is because they get bored and bots outgather them, which makes it less profitable. Do tell us OP what happens to the price. I suspect it will stay roughly the same, maybe a short spike as the patch hits, but like all things the price will decline over time as demand falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    le snip
    All of your reason pertain to the wrathion quests, I dismiss your points because of this.

If blizz did a bot sweep, then it will go up in a few weeks; if not, I doubt it will move much.

Won't make much difference. There will be a slight supply decrease as the people leveling mining branch out and get junk from the nodes, but if there's anything I've noticed in wow-economy it's that slight short-term supply decreases don't necessarily do anything to the price beyond the normal volatility. Then, once the mining alts have all leveled, there will be the same amount of ore coming in as always.

Prices are much more demand-driven than supply-driven, in my experience, at least for ore.

Bottom line: worth buying ore now to sell later? Eh. Prices probably won't change much. You could probably do better just playing the usual volatility.

The first week or two will probably have slight increases in prices due to increased number of characters that proceed to the beginning of the 5.2 Legendary chain. After that though prices will continue to fall as there's not much reason to have ghost iron bars beyond the BS cd (fewer people will want the 502 weapon even if it can be socketed with the 5.1 Legendary item) and crafted 458 pvp gear since raiding gear will be about equal.

Deleted
    prices of copper, tin, mithril, etc go SKY HIGH

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    more like new bot ban wave, there's ZERO ghost iron/kyparite on the AH at the moment

guess who have the bag full of gems

Deleted
    Trillium 5.2 on my Server: ~~55g now some Days after 5.3 ~~89g.
    I predicted it right and your Arguments will never be valid again.
    Fincher you really show little understanding. We suggested there will be a short spike as there always is in every patch, but ofc it varies with each server. If they have had a bot sweep at the same time, then the trend will still be down. the other thing to show that prices in the first 2 weeks are not a fair reflection are becayse addons are not working and many stay away from the ah. People always chance their luck at the beginning of a patch to try and ramp up the price of anything, but it doesnt mean it will stick.

Btw Fincher the thread was about ghost iron. If the supply is already low then its pretty easy to just raise the price as with all things at the beginning of a patch. 55-89 if that is true sint a massive price rise. 55-250+ a stack would be.
    At the beginning of any patch addons do not work and many of the main ah players take a break. You have to wait for the patch to unwind and then you get a true pucture of whats happening. You waited 2 days.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2013-05-24 at 06:59 PM.

Trillium 5.2 on my Server: ~~55g now some Days after 5.3 ~~89g.
    I predicted it right and your Arguments will never be valid again.
    So your going to shift the goalpost from "will this patch affect the price of ghost iron" to "will it affect the price of trillium"?

OK, i'll go with this.

https://theunderminejournal.com/item...sza&item=72095

Your evidence is anecdotal; further shows how little you understand the market.
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-05-24 at 02:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot less ghost iron ore now, which in return means insane prices

Deleted
    Fincher why are you banging on about Trillium when the thread is about ghost iron?

Deleted
    The top bot isn't working with 5.3, there's only a beta release of it at the moment. So this is why prices are so high.

Bot ban waves do nothing, those botters simply restart elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Fincher why are you banging on about Trillium when the thread is about ghost iron?
    His original premises were for Trillium.(the legendary quests.)

I once used an Anecdote as evidence and later it turned out I was right. Therefor anecdotical evidence is correct. And Trillium Bar on all Realms is currently seeing a Prize increase among with a "Quantity available" drop, just as I suggested.
    https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=72095

Blizzard has introduced some Profession leveling posibilities exclusively with Pandaland mats and is trying to compensate the demand by enabling gathering Professions to also be levelled in Pandaland, so on long term the Ghost Iron and its pruduct, Trillium, prizes may even out later on but at the moment they will remain higher than in 5.2 for a while.
    Once again, this shows your ignorance.
    Amount available != price; price is dictated by demand, and demand is low.

because you need 800 ghost iron ore to smelt it and transmute to 40 trillium bars (if you're not using a transmute master), which you need for the legendary quest line.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    because you need 800 ghost iron ore to smelt it and transmute to 40 trillium bars (if you're not using a transmute master), which you need for the legendary quest line.

Must be me but i just smelt trillium. The ghost iron is for prospecting. Price on my server showing a small spike as suggested, but it will drop off, same as with all patches. This isnt a significant content patch so the hype i demand wont last as long.

Must be me but i just smelt trillium. The ghost iron is for prospecting. Price on my server showing a small spike as suggested, but it will drop off, same as with all patches. This isnt a significant content patch so the hype i demand wont last as long.
    (Maybe its just me)I feel a good chunk of people transmute to Trillium from ghost iron. With that I read a post on The Stormspire with quite a few people noticing a large spike in gem sales this week(I can also say I've seen a massive spike in gem sales); I suspect that most goblins started prospecting any ghost iron they had instead of transmuting.
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-05-27 at 08:52 PM.

ghost iron ore before 5.2 90s-1g each.

today 5g+ per ore. big changes for a few patches.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    you should consider moving server, because only a server with 90% of the total population made of bots can have 90s/ore