Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thorn between two lovers..feeling like a fool...

Ok not really, but i am in a very awkward situation between 2 guilds i raid with. One is a group of mostly RL friends, we have enjoyed a lot of success together since wrath as a 25 man guild and in cata up until today as a 10 man group. The other group is just people i met here and there doing world bosses and challenge modes.

I main tank for both groups and RL for the real life friends group. RL friends group is stuck on council due to losing our top dps and now 2 healers so we dont even know if we will be able to rebuild midway thru the expansion.

The other group we are 11/12 (n)

My issue is, i enjoy the company of my friends and raiding with them but the lack of progression is starting to crawl under my skin. We are not a bad group per se BUT since 5.2 launch we are having to pug at least 3 spots sometimes 4 and is totally killing our progression. They keep saying we should push with what we have and try to recruit along the way. I am not so sure is doable this late into the expansion.

The other guild i raid with wants to start an alt run and want me to bring my DK tank there and join the alt runs and leave my rl friends guild.

My loyalty to my friends tells me to stick around regardless of what happens cause we have fun doing what we do, my love for progression tells me to move on to the other guild alts run.

#confused

can your friends join the other guild and get into the raid group? That seems like the best solution.

Deleted
    Out of experience, stay with your RL friend guild, the fun of playing together largely outweighs any of the long term hollowness of joining a random guild where people come and go according to the progression rate.

Progression>Friends..right..? :|

I learned long ago that to progress in WoW, be it arena or raiding, you must abandon your friends. You can raid with them on alts and pvp with them on alts, but if your skill is legitimately better than theirs and they refuse to attempt to get better, then so long.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadhak View Post
    Out of experience, stay with your RL friend guild, the fun of playing together largely outweighs any of the long term hollowness of joining a random guild where people come and go according to the progression rate.
    This seems like the obvious answer.

It's fine if you want to have an alt or two in another guild, but if they are all like "Pull all of your alts, abandon your RL friends, join us!" then that means if they are encouraging a lack of loyalty, then they themselves have no loyalty.

You need to recruit hard but at the same time be selective in who you take into your group.

People won't just join if you don't push recruitment. At this stage you will have to take people with potential, not progression. If you don't get it sorted then its just going to get worse.

You need to decide for yourself what you want more (ie progress or the presence of people whose company you enjoy) I'm happy, I have both \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Be a d*ck and get progress or stay with your friends and enjoy all your raids.

Or you could make some "new" friends in the new guild. You can still raid with a alt with your old friends.

I'm the kind of person who wants progress. So I was a d*ck back in the days.

Hunter - Monk - Warlock - Shaman - Paladin
    <Immersion> - Alliance 25 man guild @ Frostmane Stream

Deleted
    go with whatever is most fun?

Advice: if you want to raid progression, don't raid with your IRL friends. That's something personally I will always avoid doing.

Now, do I help them find good progressed (perhaps better than mine?) guilds? Sure, I'm not that much of a one-upper that I have to be the best. But same guild? Nope, not gonna happen.

stay with your real life friends and work towards fixing the problems with them. don't switch so that you can progress and leave your real life friends behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    go with what you feel is true and just. live your wow life with no regrets!
    Hi

Deleted
    whats more important, time with friends ? or progress through an imaginary checklist of enemies ?

Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    whats more important time with friends ? or progress through an imaginary checklist of enemies ?
    It depends but wiping for 8+ hr/week on bosses due to idiocy and people unable to learn simple mechanics can make this "important time" feel like you aren't spending it with friends anymore...

Hence the reason I said I will not raid with real-life friends, I don't mind if they are raiding in better guilds and I will talk about raids with them, but nope, I'm not going to be in guild with them.

In the end you're not friends because of WoW. If what you want is to raid more seriously, then you should do that. You're not going to lose your friends if you play in a different guild.

Progression isn't worth giving up friends for, but if they don't mind then there's no problem.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

If you got that "ima champion" feel in your gut, that fire in the belly that hungers for virtual greatness, then sure abandonia them like old chewed discarded game cartridges.

depends how your friends think tbh

If they're going to take offensive, then one could argue they're really not friends, but I would look at it from the PoV, well I don't want to fall out with them about / might need them in RL some point for something, even just going out for a drink and they just might be sly and blank you out, or as my mates would do, wouldn't let me hear the end of it for fucking years,

but I guess, if you really want progression then go with the randomers, but ask yourself, does it really make a difference if you clear it now with randomers, and clear it with mates in two months time?

Edit

Also the title is slightly misleading, I just re read it and pissed my self laughing when a few thoughts popped up into my mind, why you would say Thorns between lovers, I have a perverted mind, yes

At the end of the day it's up to you and what sort of friend you want to be, also what sort of friends you have. I'd pick friends over progression any day.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    It depends but wiping for 8+ hr/week on bosses due to idiocy and people unable to learn simple mechanics can make this "important time" feel like you aren't spending it with friends anymore...
    But in this case, unless I misread, he said nothing about his friends being unable to progress for any reason other than needing to PUG until they find permanent replacements. If his friends didn't care or didn't bother to learn their classes and half-assed it, I'd agree. But since he makes it sound like his friends are good players, just lacking the manpower to progress, I'd say stick around and just push harder to recruit.

If it went well through cata up till now, stick with it. I've seen too many good and friendly guilds break up just because they didn't have the patience to recruit after losing players. Seems like such a waste.