Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, I'm going to point out that the official data does not actually say what you say it says.

You are basically saying we have to assume that subs are flat and unchanging after the last official data. That is asinine.
    You realize that when it comes to data that is released periodically that "current" means whatever the last release was? Until there is more information released, that is the only data that can be discussed factually.

Unless you have some insider information about what subscription values are at any given moment, your opinion about what subs are or are not doing is irrelevant to this discussion. Since you seem so dead set on being right:

Prove that MoP has had less subscribers than vanilla. I'll wait.

Well, WoW once was number 1, and ...it still is, so yes, yes it will.

The answer to the original question is very subjective and depends on how people define the golden age.

To me the game is as good as it has ever been, just in a different way than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Please don't return to the "golden days." WoW in Vanilla was terrible, it only seems to be awesome because people quickly forget the bad stuff.
    Well I'm sure you believe you're right, but in cases of many players you couldn't be more wrong.

You realize that when it comes to data that is released periodically that "current" means whatever the last release was?
    If you had written "current data", you'd be correct.

But that's not what you wrote.

What you wrote was: "vanilla had less players than today."

Today. As in, no more than 24 hours ago, not "as of the last time Blizzard gave us numbers".

Perhaps you need to stop being stuck on stupid here and admit you have a serious lack of facility with constructing correct statements in the english language.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Well I'm sure you believe you're right, but in cases of many players you couldn't be more wrong.
    Unless there is a majority of people playing the game right now who hate it (which seems silly) then no, I'm not. Just look at subscription numbers.

Or, talk to a vanilla rogue. Hope you like using 1 weapon while leveling for awhile. And leveling your sword combat rating, getting a dagger upgrade, and going AFK while you mindless level your dagger combat rating and see "miss" "miss" "miss" pop up on the screen.

Yeah, no thanks. The genre has improved since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Is the golden age of WoW truly gone? Days that are never coming back?

What do you guys think?
    There is the possibility of a new golden age. But I don't think the one that has passed will come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean new and shiny. No. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Is the golden age of WoW truly gone? Days that are never coming back?

What do you guys think?
    Everything has its time and moves on. My 'golden age' was about 29 years ago, it will never come back and I do not waste any time fretting because I am 62 this year. WoW's golden age in your eyes could well be either linked to your age then, the fact everything looks better when you look back at it because generally you remember the good things more than all the boring things, and could well not be 8 million other players golden age. Remember the past with affection, but better to concentrate on what is good now than fret over what was good 6-7 years ago. That is lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there is a majority of people playing the game right now who hate it (which seems silly) then no, I'm not. Just look at subscription numbers.

Or, talk to a vanilla rogue. Hope you like using 1 weapon while leveling for awhile. And leveling your sword combat rating, getting a dagger upgrade, and going AFK while you mindless level your dagger combat rating and see "miss" "miss" "miss" pop up on the screen.

You received dual wield at level 10 back then. I mained a rogue all the way up until I cancelled my sub, it took about an hour or so to get to level 10 (maybe 2).

Also it didn't take long to level up a sword or any form of weapon.
    Hey everyone

What about sub numbers? You mean like how MoP dropped from 10M to a 8.3M, almost reaching the Vanilla levels? I'm sure it's the game's age that's to blame right, because the game is better than it ever was, just as vanilla was only successful because it was "new".

What you described there with weapon skill was only a minor nuisance (for some people, some of us took that as a RPG element), totally irrelevant in the big picture of what made vanilla a success. Just like pretty much every reason people list here as to why vanilla was supposedly "terrible". It's funny really.
    Last edited by Syran; 2013-05-21 at 08:48 PM.

Actually that was better back then because that's how RPGs work, you have to improve your skills as you play. You don't magically get max level everything just cause you reached a new level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

Deleted
    hopefully they will have some better transition between expansions..something like..you have to kill ragnaros at level 60 to move on..etc

Quote Originally Posted by Meatboll View Post
    Actually that was better back then because that's how RPGs work,
    I love arguments from tradition. They're correct until they aren't.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You received dual wield at level 10 back then. I mained a rogue all the way up until I cancelled my sub, it took about an hour or so to get to level 10 (maybe 2).

Says the guy who didn't have to level daggers for HOURS at level 80 after being a Combat rogue since launch day.

tell dem only dat the leet king is dead, and dat wow died with him...

10+ Year Old Account
    Says the guy who didn't have to level daggers for HOURS at level 80 after being a Combat rogue since launch day.
    Excuse me? lv 80 and launch day, I thought we're talking about Vanilla? Also I vividly remember leveling swords, it wasn't that bad and it's RPG too. What is bad about an MMO having RPG elements, isn't that what they were based off of?
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so I can prove this unlike others who say they have played in Vanilla but can't back it up with evidence.

Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post

to be fair, two handed weapons took a bit of time unless you specifically bought a 2.2 speed one for the job.

Still, and I may be in the minority here, I actually liked leveling weapons. As a melee it brought a sense of character progression with it and as a caster it was something completely optional you could do for fun - like betting 5g among us warlocks who hits ragnaros first with <100 proficiency after the 25th molten core run

Also, there were some hilarious moments during raids, like back in Blackwing Lair when a Doom's Edge dropped from trash. Back then, one-handed axes weren't exactly on top of everyone's loot list, so our raid leader (a hunter) grabbed it for the stats, only to learn that he never bought axe proficiency . It got even more hilarious when he screwed up the weapon switch on hunter call TWICE during nef (trashing both of his ranged weapons) and everyone started shouting "USE YOUR AXE, USE YOUR AXE!"

On topic: For me it will never be what it once was. I was in the best guild I could ever hoped for during classic, a top 100 raid guild halfway through BC, a RL friends guild until halfway through wrath, and nice casual guild until dragonsoul. And each of those guilds broke up or died a slow death. I did some pvp after that, but the social aspect was completely gone by then. Over time I did not only lose all my friends to play with, but I found it harder and harder to connect to new people, some of whom have been playing for nearly as long as I had and had already established "cliques" in their raid groups. Still, I bought Mists and did some more pvp, but ultimately decided not to by another game card a couple of months ago

Gameplay-wise Blizz did a lot of good and bad over the course of the game. Aside from outright stupid things like connecting valor points gear to rep vendors, I think the game is in a pretty good state. But the magic is long gone

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people saying "golden age right now" are trying to convince themselves that they don't miss the real golden age.