View Poll Results: WoW combat system

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • True Combat Action in WoW

    24 11.32%
  • No, keep it as it is.

    170 80.19%
  • Just improve it but not CA. (Explain)

    18 8.49%
Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,789

    "True Combat Action" in WoW.

    Action combat seems to be fun for most of people who has given Tera and Neverwinter a try.

    For those unfamiliar with the system; You don't tag your target portrait and nuke it, you aim, making the fight more realistic and skills related. You have won't be attacking a shield wielder from the front and you won't allow your enemy to get behind you.

    WoW combat system is radically different and changing it would probably take as much dev time as an entire expansion I guess.

    In my opinion, developers should consider this. Instead of pulling out a new expansion where the core is the same as always, new dungeons, new bg's, advanced lore and lvl cap, etc.. maybe they could work out this new combat system which is quite successful. In fact, Blizzard is already working towards the correct direction with the new character and npc models in order to "update" wow to the current times.

    Would you like to see World of Warcraft with a new fight system? combat action like that's it.

    Think about it. I see many pros but I can also see many problems since this is a really huge and critical point of the game.

  2. #2
    I don't think WoW should do it, but I think a new game of WoWs quality should. I like the system and there's a good amount of games that use it but they're all clunky and just bad cash shop games in general.

    The core of WoW is the draw for many people, myself included. I'd be mad if it was changed because then I wouldn't have a game of WoWs quality with combat like it. I don't think the system we're talking about has to do with being "up to date with the times". It's just a different system. Both systems are great for different reasons but WoW shouldn't be changed to the core like that. It would destroy the game for many many people.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2013-05-27 at 08:26 PM.

  3. #3
    it would definitely spice things up a bit, and there would be a lot less keyboard turners to deal with which would be nice. i think pvp with animation speed and animation root tweaking would be interesting

    i can forsee many many people crying over animation rooting even though it's been a part of every action and fighting game ever. it'll absolutely never happen though

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Conscious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,451
    Maybe in "WoW 2", but it's far, far too complicated to try and implement this far along.
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.
    "We don't really have any idea what most players want." - GC

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    I don't think WoW should do it, but I think a new game of WoWs quality should. I like the system and there's a good amount of games that use it but they're all clunky and just bad cash shop games in general.

    The core of WoW is the draw for many people, myself included. I'd be mad if it was changed because then I wouldn't have a game of WoWs quality with combat like it. I don't think the system we're talking about has to do with being "up to date with the times". It's just a different system. Both systems are great for different reasons but WoW shouldn't be changed to the core like that. It would destroy the game for many many people.
    I actually agree with you. With the update I was mostly talking about graphics, even tho I honestly don't care that much about them and I consider WoW graphics superior than most of the current MMO games around. I was mostly talking about the character updates.

  6. #6
    No.

    There is a reason I didn't play Tera even though the graphics and combat look great. I don't want "true action combat" in my MMO. I like tab targeting. And there are lots of people out there who share that same opinion.

    I understand there is a small niche of players out there who do not like tab targeting and prefer a more action combat style. But, actually changing WoW's combat into that would most likely kill the game. Dead. Gone. Forever.

  7. #7
    High Overlord ythemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    102
    Action-MMORPG's are sucks, we all know it. World of Warcraft is the peak of the MMORPG's. Not with its Graphics maybe but with its lore, gameplay, soundtracks and other things. Especially combat system and character controls is so smooth. You cant go beyond it.

  8. #8
    While I don't believe WoW should go full-on into active combat, I do think that giving each class a "skill-shot" CD would be cool. A "skill shot' being an ability that you must accurately aim in order to land.

    Examples:

    Mages: A beam with a short charge time that fires in a straight line in front of the mage.
    Warriors: A 180 degree cleave with a charge time, or a directed charge that does damage in a line, possibly doubled with a knockdown.
    Monks: Fist becomes infused with the power of the jade serpent. Punches directly in front of the monk releasing a shade of the jade serpent dealing damage in a straight line.

    I don't want to take the time to come up with one for every class, but it could be done easily.

  9. #9
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    15,932
    No, it's a terrible, dreadful and feck-all annoying system which doesn't belong in an MMO. It's fine if you are playing Zelda or Tekken, but anything else - NO GO DIE IN A VIOLENT FIRE!

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-27 at 09:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dremnit View Post
    it would definitely spice things up a bit, and there would be a lot less keyboard turners to deal with which would be nice. i think pvp with animation speed and animation root tweaking would be interesting

    i can forsee many many people crying over animation rooting even though it's been a part of every action and fighting game ever. it'll absolutely never happen though
    There would be a lot less - PERIOD. You'd loose millions of people because of such a change, you'd loose veterans, casuals, newbies, hardcores etc. It would be terrible.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  10. #10
    I would prefer it over how it is now, but I doubt it would be worth it to implement. As someone else said, that would probably take the time of making an expansion to do, maybe more, without adding any additional content. I would rather than made a true sequel and had it like that, though. Games are definitely more fun when your skill and ability make a big difference.

  11. #11
    No. For one it would radically change what WoW is, and two, there is a reason those other MMO's failed.

    And three, yet another poll on MMO-C to tell us what we already know.

  12. #12
    Depends on whether it's free. If it's free, sure, do it, but otherwise those resources could go somewhere more productive.

    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    No. For one it would radically change what WoW is, and two, there is a reason those other MMO's failed.
    You mean failing like losing roughly 10% of its subscriber base every quarter? :3
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  13. #13
    Combat based on aiming doesn't belong to RPG. If other companies label such their games as RPGs, they are making it so it would sound more attractive. WoW already goes too much to Arcade/Action way, if anything it should turn back from such direction.

  14. #14
    Warchief Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    No. For one it would radically change what WoW is, and two, there is a reason those other MMO's failed.

    And three, yet another poll on MMO-C to tell us what we already know.
    yes, the combat wasn't a reason for any.

    Also OT: No, it's too late for wow now, too many abilities would have to be removed and the whole system changed basically... it's too much work too little benefit. I would love it for a WoW 2 though

  15. #15
    Wouldn't mind either way.

  16. #16
    Epic! lokithor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    1,681
    I vote keep it how it is.

    As much as i like NW and Tera style of combat, healing just sucks balls lol.

    I really don't think anyone would ever heal again if it came to WoW.

  17. #17
    Bloodsail Admiral Goatfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Stars
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    No, it's a terrible, dreadful and feck-all annoying system which doesn't belong in an MMO. It's fine if you are playing Zelda or Tekken, but anything else - NO GO DIE IN A VIOLENT FIRE!
    I disagree greatly that it is a bad system. It's actually the most natural feeling and in depth system out there in my opinion. As to if it has a place in mmo's period? I really think it does, and will get to that point eventually as mmo's get more and more realistic and technology advances. As to if it has a place in WoW? Never. I could see skill-shots, but never full on realistic combatives.

    PS: I have a buddy that is just like you and refuses to play any game where there is not targetting. I make fun of him whenever he brings it up because the skill ceiling on a game that targets for you is so much lower its insane. Give me a YS style game any day of the year and I would be in love.

  18. #18
    Brewmaster jahasafrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,300
    I enjoy "combat action" gameplay, but WoW's combat system is an integral part of the gameplay and style of the game.

  19. #19
    Elemental Lord Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    8,260
    If only they'd introduce player collision and crosshair aiming... that would've been heavenly. But this game makes too much money to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

  20. #20
    action combat maybe looks cool and all, but is really lacking depth, complexity and strategy of current WoW combat model.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •