Teamspeak 3 vs. Mumble

So I've done quite a bit of reading and see a lot of people claim Mumble is better, but no actual reasons as to why it is better.

Currently we are using TeamSpeak and I am considering changing over to Mumble but would like a proper reason as to why instead of just that it is. I find the voice quality to be really good on TS as well.

If anybody could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated. From what I gather they both have minimal delay in voice communications and I can't believe that TS takes up that much of a CPU's resources

Also, if knowledgeable in the area, please mention a reputable and quality Mumble host as well. Thanks

TS3 has had an increasing number of issues with stability. My gaming clan has two paid servers, and both of them are now going down on a daily basis, and the uptime is plagued with lag and sound quality issues. With my buddys bros mumble server, we have had zero issues... when he happens to be home running it. I also find Mumbles voice activation customization more... accurate.

of course, I have no detailed knowledge on how these things work, so these issues might be server related.
    Last edited by kivipää; 2013-05-20 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    TS3 has had an increasing number of issues with stability. My gaming clan has two paid servers, and both of them are now going down on a daily basis, and the uptime is plagued with lag and sound quality issues. With my buddys bros mumble server, we have had zero issues... when he happens to be home running it.
    I'm frequently on three self-hosted TeamSpeak 3 servers and we have had zero stability issues and going through the server logs there have been no crashes or anything. Probably just shitty server hosts.

Server 1: last restarted 77 days ago
    Server 2: last restarted 56 days ago
    Server 3: last restarted 52 days ago
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-05-20 at 09:18 PM.

We also do not have any stability issues and no lag. Quality is great, hence why I'm curious as to what all the Mumble support is for. With solid reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Blaizze View Post
    So I've done quite a bit of reading and see a lot of people claim Mumble is better, but no actual reasons as to why it is better
    Those are pretty equal in quality really. TS2 had big problems with latency and audio quality but TS3 fixed those problems and is better than Ventrilo and just as good as Mumble assuming there are no server issues.

One thing that might be an issue is that TS3 is limited to 32 users if you want to run it on own computer for free so it's not suitable if more than 25ppl raid team is using the server at the same time, standby idlers for example.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    TS3 / Mumble > Ventrilo by far

TS3 vs Mumble is a question of preference, also I hear Mumble servers are cheaper. Personally I'm a big fan of Ts3 but I like Mumble as well.

Ventrilo now-a-days is what Teamspeak 2 used to be when Vent was the newcomer.

Deleted
    They both work fine for me. I own a TS3 server, and the only time I had a problem was when multiplay (the ppl who host my server) got DDoS'd.
    Mumble servers are cheaper there though, so I might look into that one day.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Those are pretty equal in quality really. TS2 had big problems with latency and audio quality but TS3 fixed those problems and is better than Ventrilo and just as good as Mumble assuming there are no server issues.

One thing that might be an issue is that TS3 is limited to 32 users if you want to run it on own computer for free so it's not suitable if more than 25ppl raid team is using the server at the same time, standby idlers for example.
    You can have 250 or 400 users if you ask Teamspeak for it and promise not to use it for commercial purposes (like hiring slots out).

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    also I hear Mumble servers are cheaper.
    Mumble is free and opensource so there are no license costs, both Teamspeak and Ventrilo servers cost money if you're running the servers as a (part of) business.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

In terms of sound I think both are close to equal, same with delay. Tried both. The major difference is (I think) that mumble is more user friendly in terms of setup etc while TeamSpeak offers more "useless stuff" like avatars etc. I finally decided to get TS for our guild and I don't regret this at all. While mumble is opensource which apparently takes away the cost, I pay 8,00 euro / month for a 50 slot TS which is like nothing so rather look at the benefits and what you'd prefer before looking at the cost. (Unless 8 euro is an issue of course but in that case I guess it's already decided)

Well I'd also be paying for a Mumble host as well so cost doesn't come into play for myself.

If you set them all up with the same audio codec, they'd all be exactly the same, except for the servers (and their locations) wherein the ms of the players connection to the server would be affected.

I know you can change the audio codecs on Ventrilo, I'm fairly certain you can change it for mumble but I haven't used TeamSpeak for 5+ years so no clue with that one.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

There are quite a few codecs you can choose from with TeamSpeak 3.

Over the years I've tried all of the different voip systems, my guild uses mumble and has been for some time now but I do moonlight with a couple other guilds now and then for other content, they use TS3 and ventrilo, out of the three I'd say mumble is the best for getting going asap with little to no fuss, ventrilo is by far the worst of the three that I have used in the last few months.

I remember when I first used a mumble server, my guild all logged on to the server and started testing the speech delay, thinking back on it was kinda silly having 3-4 people counting too ten every couple minutes xD
    Last edited by dejec1989; 2013-05-20 at 11:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I remembering liking mumble better.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Have you guys given Razer Comms a try.

Not sure, if i'm breaking any rules, as i work for Razer, but at least wanted to throw it out. If it's against the rules i delete it.

It's a free Voice chat solution with servers provided by Razer. Still in beta, but overall feedbackhas been solid. Since it's free, just give it a try.

You can just google for it. Or go to razerzone.com/comms/

Razer|Right
    Chris Mitchell