Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

I feel like WotLK was the sweet spot

From pvp to pve, from hardcore to casual. Patch 3.3.5 was icing on the cake.

Shifting away from WotLK formula was a huge mistake. A wise man once said: Never change a winning team.

They should've added more content, not completely change how things work. Blizzard hasn't reached the sweet spot again since 4.0

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree. Not much else to be said. Just wanted to voice my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    #agree. Give this man a medal.

8.5 million people everyone with different toughts. its no point on having a winning team going if only a few enjoyed

Deleted
    Agreed but where wow is now, mop is really good, maybe wotlk was such a good exspansion cuz the lore of the game and more social it was

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember the "sweet spot" correctly we had 9 months of a raid and a patch that was poorly received (Ruby Sanctum).

Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    If I remember the "sweet spot" correctly we had 9 months of a raid and a patch that was poorly received (Ruby Sanctum).
    I loved raiding ICC the whole time out and I pugged it.

RS was ok it was lore wise the first raid of CATA but Tier wise the last of WOTLK and really that was my only bitch about WOTLK that its last raid wasn't ICC it was a so-so filler raider.

I do agree with OP I miss WOTLK and if blizzard ever made it to where you can play 1-80 for free I would play WOTLk content daily

WOTLK was the last time I felt like I was my paladin...funny because I made him in WOTLK and he became my new main.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont agree, no reason just dont agree
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

I agree that WotLK was the sweet spot, but I am going to strongly disagree that they shouldn't have changed anything. Active mitigation is a lot more enjoyable than the WotLK style of tanking. The talent system in MoP is much better than that in WotLk. I've never enjoyed my warlock more than I do with the MoP changes.

And, pretty much, etc. The game has grown and it needs to continue to grow. Some mistakes have been made, but the game is getting better.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I agree that it was the best time, anyone could get into ICC and see the content but only the best got to be called Kingslayer, also having more bosses to kill in ICC kept motivation and something to do. In other words everyone didn't instantly quit because they went 12/12 on patch day.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    12 months of ICC actually. So if you don't count Ruby Sanctum, there was 12 months of no new content, yet the game still climbed to 12 million players by the end of the expansion.

Some may argue that the climb from the end of BC to the end of Wrath was weak compared to the end of Vanilla, however I think it would be more appropriate to say 12 million was the player saturation point.

Ever since then, the game has lost 4 million players. Sure some may just be tired of the game, but it would seem it would be wise of Blizzard to try to emulate Wrath's winning formula. Shockingly, they do not appear to be doing that.

Again, Blizzard states that people drift because of no new content, so their focus is to push content out faster and faster. Then what made subs continue to rise in Wrath even though we went from December 2009 to December 2010 without a new raid?
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-05-21 at 01:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I'm just here, sitting, laughing my ass off remembering the old days. Yeah, you probably remember them too, when Wrath Of The Lich King was current content and was called the worst expansion set ever.

You people just want to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I agree that WotLK was the sweet spot, but I am going to strongly disagree that they shouldn't have changed anything. Active mitigation is a lot more enjoyable than the WotLK style of tanking. The talent system in MoP is much better than that in WotLk. I've never enjoyed my warlock more than I do with the MoP changes.

And, pretty much, etc. The game has grown and it needs to continue to grow. Some mistakes have been made, but the game is getting better.
    Sorry but I am also going to disagree with you.

The talent system in MoP is severely lackluster. As an warlock main I've gotta say that the class has been completely demolished (mostly affliction). Removing instant shadow bolt procs and giving us a channel spell, making us choose between death coil and howl of terror, changing how soul link works, not only our damage is very low, the design changes were completely wrong, unpopular and uncalled for.

Deleted
    agree wrath was the best

Personally I thought wrath was doo doo, LFD made dungeons a snooze fest, pull all the trash in the room at once and aoe without risk of dying, ICC for a year, PvP had some massive ups and downs in wrath too. I think the high sub rate had more to do with the lich king story line which many people wanted to see play out from the wc3 days.

Going by numbers it would appear you're right...

I've made no secret of it that I think Wrath was the best Wow ever was. Everything about that expansion - the content, the atmosphere, the music - was perfect IMO. If they somehow made it so that Cata didn't exist and you could go from 70-85 in Northrend, I'd love it. I'll never forget the first time I saw the bears catching fish in Grizzly Hills, or the animals stalking the critters all over Northrend, or riding on the back of a storm giant...

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Whatever they did in wrath it worked. My specuation on why this was is because:

- Large, open world. Northrend was huge, and probably the largest 'expansion' area to date.
    - The story focus on Arthas was the best villain focus they've had really, also yogg saron had its own neat quaility.
    - The raiding tiers, there were several, and by the end of the expansion, the weekly raiding quest system had some really good reason to pug into the raids, with alts, and do things with them.
    - ICC was probably the best final raid, not on par with ulduar itself, but it was still fun, better then compared to sunwell and dragonsoul.
    - introduction to badge system
    - intro to LFD

And lots of other reasons that shaped the game for so many different styles of playerbase.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Sorry but I am also going to disagree with you.

The talent system in MoP is severely lackluster. As an warlock main I've gotta say that the class has been completely demolished (mostly affliction). Removing instant shadow bolt procs and giving us a channel spell, making us choose between death coil and howl of terror, changing how soul link works, not only our damage is very low, the design changes were completely wrong, unpopular and uncalled for.
    And, yet, the new talent system is the first time in a long time that we've had any real choices to make. The old talent system was paint-by-numbers (in other words, if you didn't pick the elitistjerks talent spec, you had the wrong spec).

The whole point of the new talent system is to give us actual, real choices... and it has done exactly that. Warlocks aren't the only class that lost/have to choose key abilities.

Also: Why complain about the loss of shadow bolt? Malefic grasp makes a lot more sense for affliction than shadow bolt ever did (affliction being a dot spec and malefic grasp proccing your dots). Instead of instant shadow bolts, we get a soul shard. Soul shard = on-demand DPS increase. Again, much better than an instant shadow bolt.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-05-21 at 01:15 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Shifting away from WotLK formula was a huge mistake. A wise man once said: Never change a winning team.
    Really? Because Cataclysm was effectively exactly the same as Wrath and they got excoriated for it.

And actually I think MoP carries on all the main elements of Wrath and just added a lot of new content on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.