Get rid of pvp gear?

I'm still kind of confused by the upcoming pvp changes but from what I've been reading in forums both on mmo-champ and the official forums, it sounds like there is no point to pvp gear anymore. If the point of the changes is to allow pve players to pvp without problem, why farm the honor/conquest for pvp gear if there is no advantage to it?

Believe me, there is nothing better than beating someone with equal gear because the better skilled player won.. but I find it unfair that a pve player can come in weeks into a season with 0 pvp gear and be just fine against someone that has been collecting gear for weeks. Why not just get rid of pvp gear and give everyone the same stats in bgs/arena?

As an active PVPer I'd actually would be happy if they got rid of PVP gear altogether. That way it would give me an incentive to raid more. I think however they should keep an ilvl cap in instanced PvP so we don't have to be a hardcore raiders to be competitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could say the same for PvE'ers, they have been grinding their gear for weeks/months and atm when they step in arena they will get 100-0'ed in 2 seconds. Doesn't seem fair to me. With PvP gear you can still get into LFR and do "decent" without getting 1 shot by bosses. I think it is a good change so people can play different aspects of the game without having a bad time.

No, there's definitely a point to pvp gear. All high-end pve gear will effectively scale down to the same ilvl as pvp gear in any instanced pvp, so the unbudgeted pvp power will make most pvp gear better (not to mention the generally superior set/glove effects). Exceptional trinkets and proc weapons will probably still show up all over competitive pvp, but a majority of pvp gear will be desirable. The only situation in which pvp gear would be entirely irrelevant is if you're an extremely high-end raider and the only pvp you encounter is out in the open world.

I don't think anyone disagrees that removing the gear variable altogether would make a world of difference in the quality of pvp, but basically Blizzard doesn't like the idea. They haven't really given a reason, but they've bluntly stated that they always want gear to be a potential factor in this game. I wouldn't pay these changes much mind--they'll slightly narrow the currently enormous gap between the effectiveness of different types and qualities of gear, but they won't actually alter the hierarchy (except in world pvp).

It depends on the class/spec. If you don't have any tyrannical pvp gear this is a great way to get involved in rbgs/pvp and still stay competitive.

i.e. DK gear comparison

Full 496 PvP gear = +4% dmg done, -1% dmg taken, gloves pvp bonus, 2 set pvp bonus, 4 set pvp bonus

Tyrannical Weapon, 1 pvp trinket, rest 496+ PvE gear = Possible 2 set/4 set pve bonuses depending on your gear

By all means if you have the pvp gear wear it but the gap for people who haven't geared up so far this season is quite small.

As someone with lots of alts, I like this change. It's extremely easy to get a full 496+ pve set in 1-2 weeks. Then you can start doing arenas/rbgs and should be able to push 2K in both with skill and not be held back by the gear curve.

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    No, there's definitely a point to pvp gear. All high-end pve gear will effectively scale down to the same ilvl as pvp gear in any instanced pvp, so the unbudgeted pvp power will make most pvp gear better (not to mention the generally superior set/glove effects). Exceptional trinkets and proc weapons will probably still show up all over competitive pvp, but a majority of pvp gear will be desirable. The only situation in which pvp gear would be entirely irrelevant is if you're an extremely high-end raider and the only pvp you encounter is out in the open world.

I don't think anyone disagrees that removing the gear variable altogether would make a world of difference in the quality of pvp, but basically Blizzard doesn't like the idea. They haven't really given a reason, but they've bluntly stated that they always want gear to be a potential factor in this game. I wouldn't pay these changes much mind--they'll slightly narrow the currently enormous gap between the effectiveness of different types and qualities of gear, but they won't actually alter the hierarchy (except in world pvp).
    Some set bonuses are really strong and the heroic versions are already being used in Pvp and will be used more with the free 65% resil, i went into Bg's with my heroic raiding gear as Fire and did fine against geared Pvpers in all pvp gear.

No, I don't think pvp gear should go away, that's one enormous leap backwards.

Both should have a gear progression.
    But it is arguable just how that progression should go about.
    The capping mechanism is absolutely necessary given how in PvE content you can pick and choose a level and gear appropriate opponent, but have no such choice in PvP.

There is just not a tier system where you can be pitted against appropriate PvP opponents.
    There simply are not the numbers participating for it to be realistic.

You cannot go through the "low tiers" of PvP and only face similar geared players to gain practice and gear in a fair environment.
    Instead you can go in your first random battleground and get utterly crushed by as blizzard very accurately described, the player equivalent of a heroic difficulty raid boss.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-05-21 at 05:34 AM.

pvp power is unbudget. pve gear will scale down to the same ilvl of pvp gear. this means pvp gear will take the upperhand.

but what it does is it will make pve geared players have around the same dps/survival as a honor geared pvper. and thats what blizzard wanted to achiev.
    so pve geared players don't need to grind there asses off to het honor pvp gear so they can do random bgs and low rated arena

Quote Originally Posted by Nophixia View Post
    With PvP gear you can still get into LFR and do "decent" without getting 1 shot by bosses.
    What.

Its not like people in greens get one shot in LFR anyways.

On the other hand, tanking LFR in PvP gear is a bad idea. Unless you're a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGamez View Post
    As someone with lots of alts, I like this change. It's extremely easy to get a full 496+ pve set in 1-2 weeks. Then you can start doing arenas/rbgs and should be able to push 2K in both with skill and not be held back by the gear curve.
    Without PvP set bonuses, I doubt it.

Small differences in gear is amplified and makes a big difference at the high skill level of 2K+.

How about no? If they got rid of PvP gear, then raiders would once again be the only people who could effectively PvP and everyone else would be screwed. Terrible idea. If gear in general became a non factor, which will never happen in WoW, then I would say fine. But until then, no way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Lord no!
    WoW is ever so gradually becoming more of a pvp based game, not saying pve will stop being the main feature. But there's definite improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    How about no? If they got rid of PvP gear, then raiders would once again be the only people who could effectively PvP and everyone else would be screwed. Terrible idea. If gear in general became a non factor, which will never happen in WoW, then I would say fine. But until then, no way.
    Not if you can earn the same gear by accumulating honor.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman007 View Post
    As an active PVPer I'd actually would be happy if they got rid of PVP gear altogether. That way it would give me an incentive to raid more. I think however they should keep an ilvl cap in instanced PvP so we don't have to be a hardcore raiders to be competitive.
    I actually agree with this; just let instanced PvP award Valor points or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I actually agree with this; just let instanced PvP award Valor points or something.
    So 1000 valor point a week for gear that's worse than what drops inside the raids? Thank you but no thank you.