Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

is it time to leave frost behind? IlVl 514

Hey all sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, been trying to figure out if it was time to leave frost behind and maybe go fire, i tried arcane but i just cant play it, so fire would be my other choice, i have only been playing the mage recently for 2 months now but fortunate my guild let me switch (ele shammy before for 3 years)

Im happy to go to fire but my big question is how do people get there HUUUUUGE combusts going?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cakes/advanced
    Last edited by Yeren; 2013-05-21 at 10:44 AM.
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

Most people say fire is playable at 515+ ilvl and 38% crit raid buffed.
    However, I played frost till 520 ilvl and it worked pretty well. The 4set bonus is a pretty big deal for fire also.

I would play frost with your gear to be honest, your trinkets are pretty shit for fire

How to get huge combustions?
    Spam pyros with your PoM/AT macro and hope they crit a lot

Still playing frost on 527 ilvl, and working pretty damn well - even better after patch, single target and aoe

10+ Year Old Account
    OK tyVM for your inputs, i have had no luck with trinket drops, used all my runes of fate things on bonus roles on LFR and normal but nothing,

Will get this going for now then
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

Deleted
    A minor buff to LB and Aoe and a micro mini buff for the WE. Getting patch tomorrow (germany) and try to upgrade 8 items and I will see how frost scaling works (I´m currently @ ilvl 537).

As it stands now, fire for 5.3 farm raids and tier 16, unless they release a clutch T16 2p and/or 4p (but I doubt it) for frost.

Deleted
    It's not so much about item level as it is about crit. I think I played Frost until 522 and went to give Fire a go at 31% selfbuffed crit. You could play Frost until 530+ for all I care though, it's not like it's not competitive. I just feel Fire performs a bit better and I simply like the playstyle more.

People seem to forget that while fire scales best with crit, it still scales incredibly well with haste and even mastery. The only way you are going to have good crit with a solid amount of haste is through higher item level. That said, I'm at 512 and after getting the sinister gem, my combustions have gotten far better. Not sure if the haste is allowing an extra pyro to be squeezed into an ignite or what, but it has been very noticeable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    Not sure if the haste is allowing an extra pyro to be squeezed into an ignite or what, but it has been very noticeable.
    assuming you build your ignites/combustion with AT/POM/HS insta pyro's your haste will not affect the insta-pyro's that much, bar reducing the GCD by 0.1 seconds or something.... doubt that would make a noticable differrence...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm miserable. Tier 16 is basically Dragon Soul.

Frost isn't scaling right (as many of us said ages ago, even during MoP beta).

Arcane scales silly because of compounding mastery benefits and it can reach high numbers.

Fire scales best, as always, and everyone is going to be pigeonholed into it next tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I'm miserable. Tier 16 is basically Dragon Soul.

Frost isn't scaling right (as many of us said ages ago, even during MoP beta).

Arcane scales silly because of compounding mastery benefits and it can reach high numbers.

Fire scales best, as always, and everyone is going to be pigeonholed into it next tier.
    This has been the state of mage since the dawn of time. Until they add spells that actually change our gameplay, or drastically alter how each spec scales with its related stat it'll always be that way. How people are surprised by this, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    It's not so much about item level as it is about crit.
    Uhh???? That's the same thing lol.... more ilvl = more crit.

Deleted
    People seem to forget that while fire scales best with crit, it still scales incredibly well with haste and even mastery. The only way you are going to have good crit with a solid amount of haste is through higher item level.
    That's kind of stating the obvious. At 514 however he could have ended up with a lot of Mastery/Haste pieces and insufficient Crit to run Fire reliably, or at least at the level of Frost. Like I said, it's not as much about ilvl as it is about Crit value on deciding when to swap.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Is it? I must've forgotten that EVERY damn piece in ToT has crit on it. Silly me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    You can have a really high Item level with hardly any crit gear..
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

Deleted
    I'm currently at 521/522 and still play frost. Still get pretty nice numbers and still don't feel I _must_ leave frost behind to perform better. Having that said, I'm a much better frostmage than I am as fire and/or arcane, appearantly. Frost suits me. If it suits you as well, why bother to change? Obviously fire can result in better numbers, it can also suck for life. Hence the rant posts on the RNG-based playstyle. Since I am in a somewhat casual guild (currently 1/13H in ToT) I rather put out consistent DPS than being great one attempt and really sucky the next. My 2c.

Deleted
    That said, I'm at 512 and after getting the sinister gem, my combustions have gotten far better.
    Mage isn't my main so i'm probably wrong, but if you have a lot more haste then it's not necessarily your ignite dot that improves so to speak but more the fact that your combustion dot has more ticks before it expires (assuming the gem puts you over some haste breakpoints)

It basically comes down to what type of guild you play in, and what role you are attempting to play.

Are you in any kind of progression guild where you are expected to bring the best DPS? Then once you can hit 37% crit and have some decent trinkets you need to switch. There are plenty of resources around here that will show you how to get good combustions. Just know it'll take some practice. When I switched I took about two days and just ran LFR / T14 Normal modes so I felt comfortable with the playstyle.

Simple answer.

Do you personally perform better as frost or fire?

If you notice you are better at one than the other i would play that spec no matter the ilvl.

I realize there are players who can play multiple specs/classes very well. Sadly this is not true for the average WoW player.

The other mage in my guild completely blew as frost as he has always preferred fire and never got the feel for frost. Recently he has made the switch to fire and is performing better on a personal level but will remain miles behind me playing as frost (mainly because I feel that I am well above the average raider within my guild).

We all know how well fire scales compared to frost and that people can sim their character all which ways but what it comes down to is the player. I don't care how much you sim at because you are not a computer and you will make mistakes (some more than others).

Play what you enjoy/excel at and you will do better as a result
    Last edited by bostwick kingsley; 2013-05-22 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeren View Post
    Hey all sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, been trying to figure out if it was time to leave frost behind and maybe go fire, i tried arcane but i just cant play it, so fire would be my other choice, i have only been playing the mage recently for 2 months now but fortunate my guild let me switch (ele shammy before for 3 years)

Im happy to go to fire but my big question is how do people get there HUUUUUGE combusts going?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cakes/advanced
    I have a question. Why did you not upgrade your weapon at all? sure it's LFR, but you're missing
    +573 spell power
    +36 intellect
    +25 haste
    +25 mastery

10+ Year Old Account
    well tonight was reset night so i wasnt going to blow 500 valor on something i could of been replacing 3 hour later,

Tonight i never got a weapon again so i will be upgrading it as raid has now finished
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling