Sets coordinate to healing styles?

I have a question regarding -

Does Blizzard use set-bonues on tier gear to encourage a certain heal/play style for holy pallys?

I ask that question because, it seemed with tier 14 4-piece (in 5.2) having the 4 sec c/d with Holy Shock, it allowed you to choose whether you wanted to be more a blanket healer with Eternal Flame hots, or more a burst AOE healer with Light of Dawn. In any case you would be using Holy Shock and Holy radiance to build up Holy Power.

Now with the nerf to 5 sec c/d with the tier 14 4-piece (in 5.3, and I totally understand why they nerfed it), it seems that tier 15 Blizz wants you to be a: Holy Shock, Holy Radiance, Holy Shock again (for Daybreak), unleash with Light of Dawn (and do this several times) type of healer. It will get boring!!!
    I miss the balance that their 14 4-piece presented.

If they would just make Holy Shock have a 5 sec c/d to begin with (without any set bonuses or glyphs) that might encourage people to go with Eternal Flame blanket healing again for certain fights (say if you don't have a resto druid or healing monk in your raid).

I guess the "new" daybreak thing is cool, especially with the teir 15 2 set bonus.

I think the tier 15 4 set is cool too making beacon of light stronger. But because Holy Shock is 6 secs, your gona see LoD by the heal that slightly raises Beacon of Light, whereas Eternal Flame Tics would have grealtly impacted Beacon of light. But it's just more practical to go with the LoD throughput than it is Eternal Flame now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    Now with the nerf to 5 sec c/d with the tier 14 4-piece (in 5.3, and I totally understand why they nerfed it), it seems that tier 15 Blizz wants you to be a: Holy Shock, Holy Radiance, Holy Shock again (for Daybreak), unleash with Light of Dawn (and do this several times) type of healer. It will get boring!!!
    I miss the balance that their 14 4-piece presented.
    HS-HR-HS rotation will not be possible with tier 15 unless you wait a few seconds between HR and HS. That was more the rotation with tier 14. It will be more like HS-HR-HR-HS with tier 15.

I don't really think it will change much in the EF vs LoD debate.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-05-21 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Freia here.

Our buildup rotation will definitely be HR>HR>HS to take advantage of the new Daybreak and the Two Piece, but our finisher is decided by the type of damage.

Ill still be using LoD with situations like Megaera because burst healing is much stronger there, unless of course you can precast a ton of EF before the damage goes out. I don't think EF is very suited to that type of situation at all, so the finisher will always come out as a LoD for burst damage mechanics.

With mechanics like the sustained damage of Twins Ill definitely be casting EF though. The damage is constant throughout the whole fight and while LoD can definitely heal it up, the constant heals and Mastery from EF are just so much better. The Four set also seems to benefit EF healing more than LoD healing as you get the extra 20% of 50% instead of an extra 20% of 15%.

Healing style is decided by mechanics. While the Tier sets do push us towards certain rotations, it wont ever fully decide how we play.

Blizzard simply should add Holy Shock to Sanctity of Battle and change T14 to increase the Healing done by the next healing spell after a holy shock by 10-20%

thank you Freia and Kerfax... i for some reason forgot the two HR to build up 150% daybreak...

so would it be: HR, HR, HS (daybreak 150%), dump LoD, and another quick HR if HS proced IoL...
    or,
    would it be: HR, HR, HS (daybreak 150%), another HR if HS proced IoL, dump LoD twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a situation where you would want to cast LoD with less than 3 HoP. I think you would go HR>HR>HS and continue if you need more AoE healing or switch to a single target spell if you don't.

thanks bro... so we are really not to focused on Infusion of Light as a high priority to look out for?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    thank you Freia and Kerfax... i for some reason forgot the two HR to build up 150% daybreak...

so would it be: HR, HR, HS (daybreak 150%), dump LoD, and another quick HR if HS proced IoL...
    or,
    would it be: HR, HR, HS (daybreak 150%), another HR if HS proced IoL, dump LoD twice.
    What I think doesn't help or can mess things up if the legendry meta procs, do you continue with the so called rotaion or switch to legendry meta rotaion, wich since patch 5.3 I can easily get x2 flash of lights in providing im not in the middle of another cast ofc.

EDIT: sorry I also forgot where does Eternal flame also come into the rotation.

Eternal Flame,HR,HR,HS if no daybreak proc Hs wait until 150% daybreak proc then dump Lod then use any remaining holy power with eternal flame ?
    Last edited by mmocaa29d0e66c; 2013-05-24 at 01:49 AM.