Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal tornado shanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    ...in the mountains
    Posts
    76

    I love tanking, but hate it when...

    I love tanking first and foremost; however, some things annoy me.

    1. When I'm tanking a heroic and someone simply says "go". I'm definitely being hypersensitive about this one, but there's just something really condescending about it for some reason.

    2. DPS that facepull (I generally let them tank whatever they pulled)

    Would love to hear what pisses other tanks off.

  2. #2
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,186
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado shanks View Post
    I love tanking first and foremost; however, some things annoy me.

    1. When I'm tanking a heroic and someone simply says "go". I'm definitely being hypersensitive about this one, but there's just something really condescending about it for some reason.

    2. DPS that facepull (I generally let them tank whatever they pulled)

    Would love to hear what pisses other tanks off.
    Totally agree with you on 2. But as a non-tanker there are instances where the tank seems to go AFK to eat a sandwich and we're left twiddling or thumbs and killing critters.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

  3. #3
    Don't take me wrong. My main is tank, and I love tanking more than doing anything else. But to address both of your points:

    You are probably too slow for the DPS, which is frustration for them as well. If you can pull 2 grp together and you are only pulling 1, the instance will take almost twice as long.

    Normally, if a DPS pulls, he normally plays a tank and simply does what he would have done to teach you how to get better. Don't take it negatively. I am never angry at DPS who pulls unless they pull so much that causes wipe...

    EDIT:

    Very simple math here:

    Say there is an instance with 11 enemies. If the maximum number of enemies you can take is 10 (if all 11 are pulled, its a wipe). There are the following 2 cases where the DPS pulls more than you do:

    1. you only pull 5, and the DPS pulls another 5 for you. You finish the instance almost twice as fast thanks to the DPS. You are the idiot here, and the DPS is the genius.
    2. you pull 10 and the DPS pull the 11th, causing wipe. You are the genius here, and the DPS is the noob.

    These two cases are exactly what I was saying in my comment: "As long as the DPS pulls and does not cause wipe, he is a genius and you are a noob."
    Last edited by Guinny; 2013-05-21 at 09:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    31,239
    Hunters/Locks who won't turn off taunt or use non-tanking pets. I no longer taunt and I allow the boss to kill the pet.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinny View Post
    Don't take me wrong. My main is tank, and I love tanking more than doing anything else. But to address both of your points:

    You are probably too slow for the DPS, which is frustration for them as well. If you can pull 2 grp together and you are only pulling 1, the instance will take almost twice as long.

    Normally, if a DPS pulls, he normally plays a tank and simply does what he would have done to teach you how to get better. Don't take it negatively.
    When I tank there is a reason I don't pull immediately.

    I either know my limitations or I am monitoring the status of our healer. (Mana mostly) DPS can easily be replaced. Healer and Tanks are harder to do so.

  6. #6
    3). People that decide it's a good idea to go AFK right at the start of an instance (though that goes for all specs really).

    4). People who go 'Pull more ffs' while I see the healer's mana drop like a stone with what I've already pulled.

    5). DPS doing sub-20k dps in MoP content while leveling and then complain to me that it's not going fast enough.

    6). Idjit tanks in LFR who think it's a good idea to taunt on cooldown when it isn't needed at all (this pisses me off to no end regardless if I play my tank, DPS or healer).

    7). Pet class with taunt on auto-cast. They should seriously implement an automatic deactivation of auto-taunt on pets and only let it work if specifically turned on by the player.

    I could go on, but I've long since decided I'm sticking with guild groups when I'm on my tank. Too much bad stuff goes on in PUGs as a tank and I feel even less appreciated as a tank than as a healer.

  7. #7
    Wouldn't get upset about people wanting you to go faster, probably know you and/or your healer can handle a faster pace =3

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Hunters/Locks who won't turn off taunt or use non-tanking pets. I no longer taunt and I allow the boss to kill the pet.
    Same. If I ask them once and they don't comply then I'll simply whisper the healer and ask him not to heal the fool's pet.

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,030
    My main peeve is when I have to call people out for standing in shit. I'm tanking and I notice they're standing in shit, drives me nuts that they don't watch their debuffs/hp. Priests grabbing me is by far the thing most likely to piss me off, if done in a heroic I'm likely to just outright leave; If done in raiding I will get quite verbal towards the priest deciding to harass me and present them with the choice of not being a dumbass or blowing it up into a problem for everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Hunters/Locks who won't turn off taunt or use non-tanking pets. I no longer taunt and I allow the boss to kill the pet.
    This a thousand times. I was once grouped with this hunter who rezzed his pet SIX times and still didn't turn off growl. It was rather amusing.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal tornado shanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    ...in the mountains
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Totally agree with you on 2. But as a non-tanker there are instances where the tank seems to go AFK to eat a sandwich and we're left twiddling or thumbs and killing critters.
    I'm just talking about the dps that are huge douchebags about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinny View Post
    Don't take me wrong. My main is tank, and I love tanking more than doing anything else. But to address both of your points:

    You are probably too slow for the DPS, which is frustration for them as well. If you can pull 2 grp together and you are only pulling 1, the instance will take almost twice as long.

    Normally, if a DPS pulls, he normally plays a tank and simply does what he would have done to teach you how to get better. Don't take it negatively. I am never angry at DPS who pulls unless they pull so much that causes wipe...
    I pull mobs pretty quickly. Not to dis LFR/D, portals, and high speed flying mounts, but I feel like people have grown so accustomed to instant gratification in this game. I hate to sound old fashioned, but I really think this game needs server-based communities again. I just can't really think of how it could be done at this point.

  12. #12
    If the healer tells me to pull faster I will. If some random DPS asks me to pull faster; no. They aren't in any position to dictate the party pace.

    I was in an instance last night where our Warlock insisted on pulling for me. That itself isn't too big of a red flag until I politely asked him not to and he just kept on. That's when I started letting him die. And everything was right with the world.

    I think my major pet peeve is when I do an LFR and the other tank asks me how to tank every single boss. This happens in 95% of the LFRs I run. Why would you queue up as a tank knowing absolutely nothing about what you're tanking?

    3DS Friendcode: 0705 - 3279 - 0173
    Add me for Pokemon / Bravely Default
    Trainer Name: Bazlyn

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinny View Post
    Don't take me wrong. My main is tank, and I love tanking more than doing anything else. But to address both of your points:

    You are probably too slow for the DPS, which is frustration for them as well. If you can pull 2 grp together and you are only pulling 1, the instance will take almost twice as long.

    Normally, if a DPS pulls, he normally plays a tank and simply does what he would have done to teach you how to get better. Don't take it negatively. I am never angry at DPS who pulls unless they pull so much that causes wipe...

    second to last boss in scholomance. I pull the whole room including the boss out to the door of the previous room. if a dps says "go" he is just being annoying.


    Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado shanks View Post
    I love tanking first and foremost; however, some things annoy me.

    1. When I'm tanking a heroic and someone simply says "go". I'm definitely being hypersensitive about this one, but there's just something really condescending about it for some reason.

    2. DPS that facepull (I generally let them tank whatever they pulled)

    Would love to hear what pisses other tanks off.
    I sit and wait when they tell me to pull.

    And if they facepull, I let them die before I pick up aggro.

  15. #15
    If the dps are pulling/saying go you simply aren't pulling quick enough. The only negative comments (most really appreciate it) I've ever gotten about my speed in instances is that I'm going too quick, which I'd say is incorrect as long as the grp lives.

    There aren't really much stuff that bothers me specifically as a tank and not other roles, but a big thing would definitely be hunters/locks with pet taunt. For the love of god, don't take my vengeance.

    Regarding lfr I mostly just leech it, but when I play I find it a bit annoying if the fellow tank taunts improperly (or not when he has to, e.g. empress debuff). Him actually asking if he doesn't know what to do is just great for me, that alone means that they are putting in more effort than the average lfrer.

  16. #16
    I get frustrated a lot about number 1 as well. Even more frustrated when the DPS bitching at me starts pulling for me.

    My first dungeon on my warrior was a nightmare. He's in all 458 pvp blues, with the 463 crafted shield and all gemmed with green quality gems for crit. I decided to tank one and see how it would go. It was a cakewalk, but I wasn't pulling a ton of shit either because I didn't want to go splat. This wasn't acceptable to the deeps, apparently.

    If I'm not pulling quickly, it's either because the healer needs mana or the healer is constantly out of LoS on me because they aren't following quick enough. In my eyes, the pace is set by the healer, not the tank.
    Last edited by Dirgon; 2013-05-21 at 05:11 PM.

  17. #17
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    764
    No one ever tells me to go when i tank, and i love it when the DPS pull for me. I feel theres a connection between the group when everyone just does whatever they want, and the only consequence is that the dungeon is over much faster. No one says anything, everyone just fucks around, pull everythink, heal everything and finish the dungeon is a split second, and then everyone leaves with their little "nice group" or "this was fun". That is my ideal group, and thats the group that i end up in all the time, because i make it so. Occasionally we get a healer that bitches about us doing the instance too fast (no seriously, they exist) but he usually gets kicked, so its all good.

    So, it kinda pisses me of, when u make a thread bitching about ppl telling you to go and pulling for you. All they want is to be in a group with ppl like me, and u ruin that for them with your leader complex, that far too many tanks suffer from. peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinny View Post
    Don't take me wrong. My main is tank, and I love tanking more than doing anything else. But to address both of your points:

    You are probably too slow for the DPS, which is frustration for them as well. If you can pull 2 grp together and you are only pulling 1, the instance will take almost twice as long.

    Normally, if a DPS pulls, he normally plays a tank and simply does what he would have done to teach you how to get better. Don't take it negatively. I am never angry at DPS who pulls unless they pull so much that causes wipe...
    1. If DPS aren't pulling their weight, there's not much reason to pull multiple packs. Rare but it happens and it can stress your healer.

    2. I disagree but I could be arguing semantics. Face-pulling is when someone isn't watching their aggro radius and auto-runs into, or otherwise disturbs a skippable pack. Tab targeters (casters and hunters almost exclusively) are guilty of pulling untouched groups by unintentionally tabbing onto the mob and they almost always apologize immediately. I almost never run into someone who feels the need to intentionally pull for me as I'm quite good at managing my resources to ensure that I'm keeping a constant flow of mobs (barring of course piss-poor DPS or healer mana issues). If they do, whatever. They probably recognize that I'm quick on the pickup and can trust me to pull it off before it reaches them.

    As for the issue of extra mobs that we don't need, it depends. Most often, I'm going to pick up the unwanted group immediately since most are going to beeline the healer and because of proximity, we're otherwise f'd. I typically save CDs for these problem areas (gauntlet in SC loves it some face-pullers). If someone is say, running to catch up to us and pulls an undisturbed pack, I don't feel compelled to enter combat and be a hero. They'll die, eat the repair cost, I'll rez them and we'll move on.

    I get annoyed when anyone goes AFK in a 15 min. dungeon, but especially when it involves tanks or healers. Our queues are short-- if you can't control your personal circumstances long enough to get through it, don't try to punish the group for it. Be courteous enough to drop the group. I personally won't wait around.

  19. #19
    Brewmaster catbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    london, england
    Posts
    1,387
    i tend to slow down when someone says 'go.'
    cow goes moo

  20. #20
    The comment about DPS who pull things being tanks themselves and trying to educate you is the most laughable comment I think i've seen on these forums.

    Personally though, I never get DPS telling me to pull faster and certainly they never have the opportunity to pull for me because I keep them busy. At the end of most runs, I get half the party commenting on what amazing tanking they had just witnessed. It is actually kind of hilarious, because I occasionally queue with a healer from my raid team and the healers are my team are really, really good and yet whenever we run together, i'm the one getting all the compliments and no one ever says anything about him or his healing, which makes him angry and makes me laugh.

    My list of tanking complaints are different than most of you. As yall seem to complain about being rushed or having people do your job for you.

    For me, what pisses me off are people who spam roots. Frost mages are the worst at this. I usually pull several groups together, consolidate them into a neat pile, then let the AOE begin. But when you have an idiot frost mage spamming frost nova on cooldown, it locks down some you have, keeping them away from the rest, and it's especially annoying when they're doing it to casters who have been interrupted but now can't move because they're rooted. Priests with void tendrils, and all other aoe abilities are equally annoying to me.

    I also despise retarded hunters who keep the growl on their pets turned on. I pride myself on my excellent tanking, and I won't let someone take damage and certainly not let them die, even if they are being baddies and pulled something, but when a stupid hunter has growl on, I don't even touch the mob, let it kill their stupid pet, and then it comes back to me naturally. Changing pet growl to a taunt was one of the worst decisions blizzard ever made.

    Those are really my only tanking complaints, and it only applies to pugs as they are all bottom rung garbage anyway who have no ability and no concept on what it takes to make a group move efficiently.

    I don't like other tanks who don't do their jobs, especially when their excuse for not doing their job is because they think they are justified on it in principle. Like "Oh i don't do anything if a dps pulls and let them die". That isn't how tanking works. If a DPS pulls, they're most likely only hitting one target, and targets in dungeons seldom come by themselves. Which means when they take damage, they're gonna get healed by the healer, unless he is being a worthless prick as well, but assuming he is doing his job like he should, he will heal them, get aggro on everything that guy ISNT attacking, and then die. Life is simpler if you just do your job. You aren't doing anything but being useless if you refuse to tank, even if other people pull things for you. So many terrible tanks out there who lack ability and then say garbage like "you pull it you tank it". Baddies should be removed from the game, especially when they are in an important role like tanking.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2013-05-21 at 05:19 PM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •