Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    As someone who's tanked in many different environments (heroic raiding guilds, normal raiding guilds, 25s, 10s, dungeons, scenarios, etc.) I can safely say that the only thing that annoys me is a hunter pet taunting mobs off of me. I pull quickly. If I don't and someone pulls for me, I take it as a sign that I need to speed up. It's just as much their time as mine. If we wipe because of it, then we kick them. Simple as that. I whisper other tanks before bosses and tell them when/if they need to taunt and where it would be required (LFR usually), and that takes all of 30 seconds.

I feel like everyone is overvaluing tanks. Just because there's less of us doesn't mean we're more significant than a dps. They have to wait in a 30 minute queue with the hopes that they're going to get four more competent players. Tanks wait in a ten second queue and only have to worry about if they'll out-dps the dps. Either way, the odds are that they're going to have to wait exponentially longer to complete a heroic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado shanks View Post
    I love tanking first and foremost; however, some things annoy me.

1. When I'm tanking a heroic and someone simply says "go". I'm definitely being hypersensitive about this one, but there's just something really condescending about it for some reason.

2. DPS that facepull (I generally let them tank whatever they pulled)

Would love to hear what pisses other tanks off.
    1. I was originally a healer in Vanilla and some of BC. After being with many SLOW tanks, I was sick of it and started tanking myself. I think as the person somewhat controlling the pace of the instance and how much of people's time you spend, you should go fast and I think it's horrible that tanks get offended when told to go. If there's a point where you can't go because someone will get locked out or out of mana / insert reason, say that, otherwise you should already be going.

PS I have 2/3 battlepets called gogogo that I point to when we're on coffee breaks between pulls haha, some people love it, some people hate it

2. Your job is to aggro and not die, threat is ridiculously... RIDICULOUSLY easy to acquire as a tank now. I remember in BC tanking ZA with geared mages clicking off salv buff to play with me and test my aggro, if you don't like trying to threat and not die, maybe tanking isn't for you. Sorry if this is harsh dude, I'm just sayin, maybe you have the wrong perspective, maybe try to accept the criticism that people give you and run with it.

I use to always get pissed off when other tanks go slow, I play ranged now, but I was a healer for few years, tank for @ 5.

Edit- Can't believe all the tanks in here who agree with the OP, I'll never understand why some people think a 25 minute instance is better than a 10 minute one. /mindboggle
    Last edited by Bombino; 2013-05-24 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado shanks View Post
    I love tanking first and foremost; however, some things annoy me.

1. When I'm tanking a heroic and someone simply says "go". I'm definitely being hypersensitive about this one, but there's just something really condescending about it for some reason.

2. DPS that facepull (I generally let them tank whatever they pulled)

Would love to hear what pisses other tanks off.
    Those, plus DPS that scream GO FASTER GOD YOU'RE SLOW. Or BIG PULLS. Then they pull extra mobs to me, and I get overwhelmed and die.

I'm not a very confident tank as it is and I'm very sensitive about dps trying to tank etc. I made a macro once, explaining I was their friendly neighbourhood tank and that if they pull it; they tank it.
    Humans fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.

Actually while things like DPS pulling and people being rude annoys me, probably the thing I hate most is going back on my DPS characters after being a tank and seeing tanks way more geared than mine agonisingly pulling one pack at a time despite the fact the healer is at full mana and probably bored stiff having nothing to do (I play a healer as well :P).

When I tank, I challenge myself to pull as fast as I can. Keeps the healers entertained and I actually use my CDs. Actually makes the dungeon better for everyone, even if you occasionally wipe :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    only thing that really annoys me is when dps, usually hunters if im honest decide they can pull what ever they want and MD it to me.
    Well it would almost have to be a hunter if they are MDing to you wouldn't it? Unless it was a rogue tricksing or something.

On that note, what exactly is your problem with this? On my Pally tank I would love for packs to MD'd to me, there goes half the work of gathering them up and I have a full 30 seconds to get my own threat on them - perfect.

1) tanks who are too slow
    2) tanks who don't pull correctly (whole room -> los -> aoe)

One thing I never liked about tanking is that the mob is at your face, you can't really see the entire encounter unless you really zoom out

Deleted
    As a healer which have been healing through all the iLvLs of HC farming up to ToT iLvL, the only circumstances where I ever oomed was when other people apart from the tank was taking damage. Occasionally this is from DPS whom by accident stand in something they shouldn't, although this happens quite rarely. What does happen more commonly is the tank not successfully holding aggro on anything so that DPS are taking damage from direct melee hits. Taking this into mind and seeing as there are many tanks who justify their slow pulling because of the healer's low mana. It's amusing, really. The whole reason as to why they pull slowly is because they can't hold aggro. When I keep everyone alive and dps are killing the mobs the least you can do is hold aggro. And when you do you will notice that there is nothing wrong with my mana, and then pull a little faster.
    Incidentally, one of the best ways to get better at your role is to push yourself. In a tank's case, it is pulling more mobs than normally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    *snip*
    You're making the silly assumption that those of us who dislike the "Gogogogogo" people are actually doing an instance slowly. I average between 10-15 minutes per heroic. It is the people who tell you to go when you stop for 3 seconds that are so fucking annoying. It isn't that difficult to understand provoking the tank won't actually make them speed up, it will more than likely slow them down because then they typically start typing back or deliberately slow down because you've made yourself into nothing more than an annoyance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Ultimately LFG is what's frustrating. You get paired with random people with various expectations. If everyone goes in wanting the run to go as fast as possible, then hurray everyone is in agreement and people are happy. But if expectations don't align from this random grouping, people will get upset.

That's just one of the costs of having LFG. You get groups faster, but you don't get to pre determine the type of people you're going to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    You're making the silly assumption that those of us who dislike the "Gogogogogo" people are actually doing an instance slowly. I average between 10-15 minutes per heroic. It is the people who tell you to go when you stop for 3 seconds that are so fucking annoying. It isn't that difficult to understand provoking the tank won't actually make them speed up, it will more than likely slow them down because then they typically start typing back or deliberately slow down because you've made yourself into nothing more than an annoyance.
    if they have the time to type for a tank to go faster and are a semi-intelligent dps trying to kill stuff, the tank could probably go faster. of course there are times when you try to not lock out people, wait for mana, etc.

There are, of course, a lot of variables, of course some people who say to go faster are idiots who don't see X obvious problem, and some tanks who think they need to wait actually could probably keep going faster. I think the point is big-headed, ignorant tanks, who think they are doing perfectly and actually get offended because so and so dares to think that the tank can do better, and the "omg why don't you go roll a tank" response.. all that is just funny and immature. Being open to criticism can be helpful for anyone, not just tanks.
    Last edited by Bombino; 2013-05-24 at 04:19 AM.

Deleted
    When I'm not on my tank myself and some idiot tank thinks he's being amazing and lets the dps die because he's pulling so god damn slow it's unbearable. At least I'm able to pull for him.

tank

As for the issue of extra mobs that we don't need, it depends. Most often, I'm going to pick up the unwanted group immediately since most are going to beeline the healer and because of proximity, we're otherwise f'd. I typic Titanium Ingot save CDs for these problem areas (gauntlet in SC loves it some face-pullers). If someone is say, running to catch up to us and pulls an undisturbed pack, I don't feel compelled to enter combat and be a hero. They'll die, eat the repair cost, I'll rez them and we'll move on.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind at all if a player requests a faster pace. I'd just prefer they did it politely : "Can we please pick it up a little, I'm sure the group could handle two of these packs at once?" is so much nicer than "go". I thought we'd evolved past the stage of communicating in mono-syllabic grunts.

But to be honest, I rarely see this. And I don't recall ever experiencing it while I was tanking personally. I probably see it more in forum complaint threads, than in game.

Quote Originally Posted by ridamark View Post
    as for things that drive me mental when i tank...hunter and warlocks with pet taunt on or hunter thats have a pet that has taunt on in there stampede. ppl still dont understand how this crap works and i know this bc i had to explain it several times to certain hunters in random 5 mans. they need to make it so pet taunts<even in stampede> are off by default
    Hmmm, that's something I did not know! My hunter isn't max level yet, and only learned Stampede quite recently, but I always have a "tanking pet" (my Bear) in one of the five active slots, and his Growl is definitely set to auto-cast. I never use him in a group scenario, and I had no idea he would start growling when he pops out for the Stampede.

Thanks for the tip!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    *snip*
    Criticism is great, harassment is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    When I tank there is a reason I don't pull immediately.

I either know my limitations or I am monitoring the status of our healer. (Mana mostly) DPS can easily be replaced. Healer and Tanks are harder to do so.
    However true this may be this attitude is one of the major problems in the game today. Tanks or healers thinking they can do whatever just because there are less of them. The reason there are more DPS is because Blizz decided the ratio for dungeons and raids back before the game was released. Slow tanks are annoying but so are impatient DPS and healers.

I'm not saying that I'd pull if the tank is delaying but it is really annoying to be sitting and waiting for a tank doing nothing when everyone else is ready. Waiting for healer mana is a perfectly good reason to delay though but then communicate it to the rest of the grp. "Will pull when healer have mana...". In most cases the healer then will say go.

You know, I've been taking since Wrath, and I've kinda just gotten used to all the kinds of bullshit people pull when I'm tanking. These days I just don't care about much in pugs.

It still bothers me when people in my normal raid group go balls out in the first 3 seconds of a boss pull. I still need a bit of vengeance to grab the boss, you can't go in gun's ablazin and expect me to hold aggro. This is even more true on aoe, since, as a pally, all my aoe takes time to build.

Other than that, I just got used to it all. I don't even notice most of it anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    Hmmm, that's something I did not know! My hunter isn't max level yet, and only learned Stampede quite recently, but I always have a "tanking pet" (my Bear) in one of the five active slots, and his Growl is definitely set to auto-cast. I never use him in a group scenario, and I had no idea he would start growling when he pops out for the Stampede.

Thanks for the tip!
    glyph of stampede helps alot here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    Wouldn't get upset about people wanting you to go faster, probably know you and/or your healer can handle a faster pace =3
    Actually, the problem is people seem to think Healers don't OOM at all, have no GCD, and have no problems if the entire party is taking massive amounts of damage. I've been on both the tanking and healing end of groups where the DPS seems to think the healer doesn't run out of mana, they decide to pull ahead of what the group's doing, and we wipe because the healer OOMs. As a tank, I will start off pulling group by group. If the healer's mana doesn't dip at all, I'll start pulling more and more until I see how much the healer can handle.

And if a DPS tells me to 'go'...lol, I feel sorry for you bro, because I learned very quickly how to toss agro around, especially if that particular DPS is doing really high DPS. You will eat dirt so many times it'll make you ragequit the instance. Don't fuck with the tank, do your job and kill the shit the tank pulls, and all will be well :-) You can ASK NICELY for me to pull more, I will query the healer, and if all is green across the board, I will pick up the pace.

As a healer, if I see a DPS run ahead and pull something, I whisper the tank not to pick it up and let the DPS eat it :-) If you don't like how fast the tank's pulling, drop out and get another group. You are easily replaced. There have been times as a healer where I've either told the tank he can pull more, or I've run ahead and pulled something myself. It's usually a safe bet that if the healer is pulling, the tank should be pulling more lol.

Thinks I hate most about groups while tanking? Hmm. Healer going AFK and not telling anybody has to be my #1. People who multibox in instances and don't fucking tell anybody. I personally dual box in instances (even the tank and healer sometimes lol), but I have a macro that posts a message in party chat as soon as everyone's in the instance, explaining that I'm multiboxing and which chars are mine. I very, very rarely have anyone complain about it, but I have been in situations where someone is multiboxing and one of their accounts goes down or disconnects or something, and then the other characters they're working with basically go AFK as the player tries to get the other account going again. When that downed account is the healer, it's basically game over.

Pet classes not turning taunt off is definitely ranked up there.

When I'm doing 50+% of the group's DPS by myself, and the DPS'ers are pulling barely 10% of what I'm doing (talking pre-level cap here, btw). I've been in level 80-85 instances where I'm pulling, say, 15k DPS as a tank, and the next highest DPS is pulling like 3k. I understand tanks tend to pull a lot of DPS, especially with Vengeance and AoE pulling and whatnot. But normally my DPS isn't THAT much higher than, say, a class that can do good AoE damage. That's called 'carrying the group', and it's not good. On a similar note, as a disc priest, I have topped the DPS charts while leveling in instances. If I was a DPS'er and saw that the healer was pulling twice my DPS AND still healing, I'd probably delete my character lol.

DPS who queue for a dungeon, then go AFK. I know, tanks typically have insta-queues and no waits to get groups. But I HATE HATE HATE queuing for an instance, and then having to wait out the damned timer because one DPS has decided to AFK and not accept the queue. There have been times where I've been in queue and had SEVEN DPS IN A ROW who did this. Tank, Healer, and two DPS would accept, ready to go, and that one DPS would eventually run out of time and X out. I finally just logged out.

DPS who go all out on a pull (especially AoE pulls) before I've properly gotten agro. This isn't usually an issue, tank agro has received such a major buff over the past few expansions. But there are times where one ability or another is on CD for like 1 more second, I'm getting ready to pull, and some nutjob starts AoE'ing an entire pack of mobs. I kid you not, I will drop out of tank stance, whichever happens to be the case for whichever tank class I'm playing, and let whoever did that eat dirt. It only takes like 2-3 seconds for me to pull a group and have sufficient agro on them, there's absolutely no need for you to start your rotation before I've even touched a mob.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2013-05-24 at 06:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    I don't mind at all if a player requests a faster pace. I'd just prefer they did it politely : "Can we please pick it up a little, I'm sure the group could handle two of these packs at once?" is so much nicer than "go". I thought we'd evolved past the stage of communicating in mono-syllabic grunts.

But to be honest, I rarely see this. And I don't recall ever experiencing it while I was tanking personally. I probably see it more in forum complaint threads, than in game.

Thanks for the tip!

I normally try to summon each pet in my current stampede and turn off taunt. If for some reason I forget to do this I'll wait a long while before casting it so I know the pets won't generate so much threat as to taunt off the MT or OT.

Monsem - Shadow Priest / Halimath - Prot Paladin / Groundchuk - Elemental Shaman
    [/SIZE]