Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How old fashioned are your parents?

My mom is pretty old fashioned she just refuses to use some things just because they didn't have it back then either.
    She does dishes by hand, doesen't know anything about the use of a pc or wants to ever use one, she's also very against the internet, whenever someone asks if she has an email adress or is able to use the internet she says "no i don't need that" before they finish talking! quite silly

What about your parents?

My parents are old fashioned in a different sense. They have somewhat matured with technology, but they are stuck in age old gender roles. Being my mother does nothing but stays at home and cleans/cooks while my father works. Then they complain about it, my mother complaining she has nothing to do all day or that she's expected to cook a meal and my father complaining about her complaining.

They have been married for 47 years now, them meeting when my dad was on leave coming back from Vietnam. Knew each other for a week, got married and have had 5 kids since. I don't want to say they hate each other, but they haven't slept in the same bed for almost a decade and they go through spouts of ignoring each other. Whether they simply have built a dependency on each other or they don't believe in divorce I'm not sure.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2013-05-21 at 07:46 PM.

My Dad's playing WoW. He also made me and my brother play video games on Snes and introduced us to Diablo 2.
    He always kids that I can be glad that he's more modern than any other parents i know.
    My mom on the other side was more old fashioned but that changed over the years. Now she has an xbox and a smart phone and is open to new stuff.

Both of my parents are retired USAF majors who served in the Vietnam War. They might be a bit more structured than most, but they are fairly progressive people (okay, my dad less so about certain things, but he does try).

Deleted
    Mothers pretty modern (Why the fuck do parents use smilies? It seems too weird) sociologically and is kinda modern with technology, still not up to date with the rest of us youngsters, always messing with grampa Jenkins desktop background.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    My Mom was old-fashioned in a scottish way. But she did love the idea of compact discs especially the ones I made for her. Damn I miss her.

I feel old

and Get off my lawn!

Not in the slightest. Very liberal social beliefs and both pretty switched on with technology. When I was a little kid I'd play Bubble Bobble on the Atari ST with my mum, and in later years F-Zero on the SNES with my dad. My mum can still show me a few tricks on Excel as well.

the parental unit is hopeless with technology but is generally a little more progressive. The only living grandparent on the other hand, well she couldn't be any more old fashioned if you sent her to night school to study it, still warns us not to "take sweeties off strangers cos they'll be drugs" and has no awareness of political correctness and isn't ashamed of it.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    My parents are more "up to date" with convenience/casual technology than I am.

In terms of their attitudes, they're pretty open minded. Nothing in their house is ever "our way or the highway".

Not at all. Neither of them will ever be considered "gamers" (I think it has more to do with proficiency and practice than motivation...since I was raised on the stuff and they weren't) but they are just as adept with technology as I am. And we mostly think the same on social issues.

Deleted
    My father refused until this month to get a Facebook account. He doesn't deal well with computers, internet and gadgets.
    Because he was receiving a lot of email notifications from Facebook, he decided to terminate his account.

Deleted
    Not at all, my dad designs operation rooms for hospitals, so he's kinda progressive technology wise.
    Even my grandparents use the pc's and the internet to an extend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have rather open minded parents. While I still lived home (I finally left when I was 27) my mother would get on my case and blame everything on the PC. Admittedly I spent much time on it, but I wasn't into going outside and getting drunk. I'd rather meet with my friends online, even in the mid to late 90's. However, after I left she decided it might be the best to start with the internet herself, so that she can keep in contact with me through emails. Not long after, she apologized for her bias against the computer, and that she now completely understands why I was on that machine so long.
    They are (or were in the case of my father, who passed away two years ago), rather progressive in other things. Both are agnostic liberals, however they never pushed my brother or me into that direction. If we had decided to follow a certain religion, they would've supported us. Also when my then long-distance girlfriend decided to visit me from the USA (I was still in Germany back then), it was my mom's idea that I should rent a little apartment for 3 nights, so it could be just the two of us, instead of the two of us AND my family.
    Both worked, though I have to admit, that my father was a bit of a "pasha". He was the boss of the household, my mom was also stuck with house chores like cooking (my father seldom cooked, but when he did it was a treat), laundry and those other things in addition to her work. Even with both holding the same position in the company both worked at.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    My dad is so backwards where do I begin?

Instead of using a q tip to wax his ear he uses a birds feather.

He still uses a flip phone from 2000.

The battery to his car key is dead and he refuses to replace them so he has to put the key in the key hole to open it up.

He does accounting work with a huge calculator and with pen and paper not on excel.

He still has his wrist watch from the 60s and it still works surpringly.

He calls the barber shop a saloon and thinks they still shave or trim your beard there.

He discovered the Internet in 2010... He just uses it to check scores from Cricket games since they don't have them hre in the states.

My mom is actually catching up with the times, and I don't know about my grandma since she still thinks the British still rules her country even though we've been independent since 1970 =/
    Last edited by Ave07; 2013-05-21 at 09:53 PM.

Deleted
    They like technology actually but they aren't adept at it. My father is 55 and is easily impressed, but he does like it. My mother doesn't mind tech, but she doesn't use a computer or e-mail. She does watch a lot of TV though.

Otherwise they are pretty backwards, they are Christians and when I told them I didn't believe they went crazy and it seems they were about to disown me! (but then I told them it was a lie, so to stop the crazy). Hey, I just have to endure it until I move out, at least they don't make me go to church when I don't want to.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-05-21 at 10:05 PM.

My dad is in some ways. But honestly give him a few weeks and he will catch up. My mom really isn't but again will take a while to catch on to things like technology, in terms of a mind set however she isn't at all

Tech wise they are up mostly up to date. My dad has been into computers/networking heavily since about 1990 and network admin since the about 1995, needless to say he knows his way around about anything computer related. Phone wise though they both use flip phones and I just recently got my dad to add texting his plan, my mom will still have nothing to do with texting. But she does play games on both the wii and ps3, as well as her laptop.

Edit: Ave07 Sounds like your dad needs to live near where I do, I know of atleast 1 barber shop in the area that still gives straight razor shaves.
    Last edited by Ineluki; 2013-05-21 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does beating their kid count as old fashioned?

10+ Year Old Account
    Both my parents are pretty up to date with modern technology and do what they want. Only my mom doesn't know how her computer works, but I've got it set up so everything is easily accessable for her.

My grandma on the other hand... oh boy. She HAD to be the most modern grandma alive. She had a monster of a computer, did everything on her computer, had an ipad to help her with it.