Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Cold Fusion a reality?

I found this, it could be one of mankinds greatests achievements if it isn't a fraud:
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...density-of-gas

10+ Year Old Account
    To quote the article, it says it hasn't undergone Peer Review. Until such a thing happens there's nothing to discuss and no proof. Was a cold fusion hoax years ago that got published into a major journal, upon peer review noone could replicate it and it was discovered they fabricated results. They were struck off and their careers died. They were also punished as it's illegal to do that sorta stuff.

Also, I'm no expert but some of the physics sounds a bit questionable, as does the chemistry. It doesn't sound too friendly towards the 3rd law of thermodynamics either...
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-05-21 at 10:23 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    To quote the article, it says it hasn't undergone Peer Review. Until such a thing happens there's nothing to discuss and no proof. Was a cold fusion hoax years ago that got published into a major journal, upon peer review noone could replicate it and it was discovered they fabricated results. They were struck off and their careers died. They were also punished as it's illegal to do that sorta stuff.

Also, I'm no expert but some of the physics sounds a bit questionable, as does the chemistry. It doesn't sound too friendly towards the 3rd law of thermodynamics either...
    Might be, cold fusion must be the holy grail of energy production, only second to anti-matter.

So fraud is a possibility if not a probability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, with which is better between cold fusion and antimatter depends on the speed it can be created and the cost of it. Even if one produces more than the other, it'll be easier and cheaper to scale one up than use the other one. Also a safety factor.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Might be, cold fusion must be the holy grail of energy production, only second to anti-matter.

As it stands, all Cold Fusion really comes down to being a pipe dream. Literally every genuine attempt to create it has just gone nowhere. It doesn't mean it's not possible at all, just not possible now.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 11:33 PM ----------

Anti-Matter as it stands is really fucking expensive.

Cold fusion would trump anti matter, as the anti matter has to be produced by conventional means. In cold fusion your fuel is hydrogen which is a lot easier to produce (and would in the long run be produced by the reactor itself, leading to the actual fuel being water)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Cold fusion would trump anti matter, as the anti matter has to be produced by conventional means. In cold fusion your fuel is hydrogen which is a lot easier to produce (and would in the long run be produced by the reactor itself, leading to the actual fuel being water)
    Only for basic operations. High power requirement operations (Crazy high power too, not power a planet kinda small, blow up a quadrant kinda power) Anti-matter would be much better.

Deleted
    Well, with which is better between cold fusion and antimatter depends on the speed it can be created and the cost of it. Even if one produces more than the other, it'll be easier and cheaper to scale one up than use the other one. Also a safety factor.
    I wasn't paying attention to production speed/cost, I was thinking about fuel efficiency

Looks like it's the same guys from last year;

The March test is to be considered an improvement over the one performed in December, in that various problems encountered in the first experiment were addressed and solved in the second one. In the next test experiment which is expected to start in the summer of 2013, and will last about six months, a long term performance of the E-Cat HT2 will be tested. This test will be crucial for further attempts to unveil the origin of the heat phenomenon observed so far.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.3913
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't paying attention to production speed/cost, I was thinking about fuel efficiency
    Doesn't matter too much because with either of them becoming a thing, everything else moves on and it can be solved. We'd need such small amounts as well that it shouldn't be an issue in terms of waste or making it

Deleted
    Doesn't matter too much because with either of them becoming a thing, everything else moves on and it can be solved. We'd need such small amounts as well that it shouldn't be an issue in terms of waste or making it
    Humankind is addicted to energy, the more we produce the more we need, even when we have a cold fusion generator in every houshold, mankind will still need bigger better and stronger energy sources.
    (but probably not the first decades after cold fusion becomes a thing)

I thought I recognized the name.... i'm pretty sure this has already been revealed to be bollocks.

Deleted
    Humankind is addicted to energy, the more we produce the more we need, even when we have a cold fusion generator in every houshold, mankind will still need bigger better and stronger energy sources.
    (but probably not the first decades after cold fusion becomes a thing)
    It is very possible for us to overcome the energy scarcity (if we can call it that?). Even if normal fusion becomes an efficient enough thing shit just go easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I thought I recognized the name.... i'm pretty sure this has already been revealed to be bollocks.
    Could be, otherwise it would have been frontpage news by now

Been following this for the last few years and tbh no one has out and out said it's a hoax, the first unit was sold to the American military(allegedly)...Nasa had a look and have since started working on their own projects.

The tests mentioned were independently done and the results given are supposedly more of a worst case result.

http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/05/ec...-party-report/
    For a link to the full report in that article as well.

From what i understand there are several projects running now and the term "cold fusion" has been dropped due to the negative stigma that is attached to it....they are calling it Low energy nuclear reaction , L.E.N.R. for short.

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 12:00 AM ----------

Could be, otherwise it would have been frontpage news by now
    The reason it is not fron page news is most news agencies ignored it because of the Fleischmann–Pons experiment that got totally fucked by the media the last time, now anytime cold fusion is mentioned you get a lot of negativity because of that particular incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion

Also because of the Fleischmann–Pons experiment it has become next to impossible to apply for a patent for anything that claims to do just that.
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2013-05-21 at 11:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Been following this for the last few years and tbh no one has out and out said it's a hoax, the first unit was sold to the American military(allegedly)...Nasa had a look and have since started working on their own projects.

The tests mentioned were independently done and the results given are supposedly more of a worst case result.

http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/05/ec...-party-report/
    For a link to the full report in that article as well.

From what i understand there are several projects running now and the term "cold fusion" has been dropped due to the negative stigma that is attached to it....they are calling it Low energy nuclear reaction , L.E.N.R. for short.

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 12:00 AM ----------

The reason it is not fron page news is most news agencies ignored it because of the Fleischmann–Pons experiment that got totally fucked by the media the last time, now anytime cold fusion is mentioned you get a lot of negativity because of that particular incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion
    I just skipped to the conclusions (because the maths made me scared) and this cought my eye

Both have indicated heat production from an unknown reaction primed by heat from resistor coils.
    So at worst its an interesting experiment

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of efficiency, anti-matter is 100% efficient so you are correct in that manner. And there is no by-product other than energy, so no waste. The only problem right now is the cost of making it. Apparently it's trillions of dollars just to make a gram of the stuff.

Forbes article and previous articles on it at the bottom
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibb...nge-after-all/

If it gets confirmed we can jump for joy, not before :/
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    If it gets confirmed we can jump for joy, not before :/
    lol trust me...i was kinda excited a few years ago about this...now i'm just interested, while it's nice to see something in the way of confirmation i'll be waiting until they start mass producing the smaller units before getting excited again.

Also just a quick note...the experiments they have done the reports on were 96 hours i think they said before they shut them down(no idea why they did) but there was "fuel" enough for longer
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2013-05-21 at 11:13 PM.