Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Good AoE classes for farming leather?

So here's the thing. I completely sort of goofed with my Druid. Druids are practically the most ideal farming class, instant flying, fast herb picking, good AoE capability and survival. Well without thinking much I recently raised him to 600 LW, farming all the mats myself. Seriously. Well now I sort of regret it because I want to make him my farming toon since he's awesome, but I'm not dropping LW. Other profession is skinning. I'm thinking of dropping that as well and picking up something else, so thought why not make a farming toon?

Well one of my main concerns for a farming toon is basically survivability and AoE capability. Druid was perfect for that, in Cat I can do tons of damage with Thrash and Swipe, Barkskin and SI for DR and instant heal with Renewal. Never really needed Bear because I was mostly farming leather in low level instances like BRD, DM, etc.

So if I wanted to make another farming class it would have to be similar. But I couldn't really think of too many good AoE classes that also had good survivability. What about Blood DKs? I've never really had any experience with a DK and I don't think I've leveled one to even past 60. I've also wanted to make a Warlock, but not too sure how they do in AoE and/or survivability. Are Monks good in AoE?

Deleted
    Destro warlock. Unkillable with ember tap when aoeing and great aoe damage through rain of fire + fire and brimstone. I used to do it all on my prot paladin until I found out how great the destro lock was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any warlock specced in to Harvest Life is an unkillable aoe machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Random worgen skinning the &$@*# out of everything you loot.

Deleted
    or anyone else with forager gloves:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=86566/fo...ves#dropped-by

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    hunters without any dubt for me, SV AoE is absolutely insane and pet can hold 10-20 level 90 mobs (depending on gear)

10+ Year Old Account
    make another druid, they are the superior farming class (can herb and skin in any form). I have 2 myself, one for skinning/mining the other has herbalism/mining. Herbing in flight form is worth the monotony of leveling another druid imo.

Demonology warlock is king of aoe, not only do you have 4 or 5 aoe attacks (3 of which can all be firing at the same time in meta -soulburn - meta - hellfire -life drain) but they have a pet that does a spinning aoe attack and serves as a tank. Not only will you kill multiple adds very quickly but you will never actually get touched.

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    make another druid, they are the superior farming class (can herb and skin in any form). I have 2 myself, one for skinning/mining the other has herbalism/mining. Herbing in flight form is worth the monotony of leveling another druid imo.
    not to mention that you can break up the monotony of leveling by leveling up as a different type of druid since they have ranged dps, melee dps, healer and tank all in one class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Well WoW is a Gear Driven game so the best AoE should be your Main.
    If it isn't, my Main is a Hunter and after the new Patch you can use BM or SV for farming good Mobs. AoE is decent so you can kill any pack within 5 Seconds or so. In addition, you can use disengage + Glyph + posthaste for travelling around Packs, and you have the Pet Fetch spell to loot remote Mobs for you conveniently.

I usually jsut go to the biggest Troll pack on the Isle of Thunder and Aoe down them Trolls until Key drops for weekly Quest.

With that said, I also saw youtoob Vides of a Frost Mage lining up and freezing Mob packs which might be even better because you can stay out of Harm's way and don'T get damaged, good for newly dinged Alts.
    yeah, mages are awesome farming cloth and leather. i wouldnt have skinning on my main though due to lower dps gain comparred to the crafting professions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not rogue, it's my only skinner and i feel really gimped with combo point mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely pick a ranged. Picking up X mob from over there is much faster if your spells have no cd and are beneficial in doing dps/healing.

I would think lock/mage/hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    i guess if you are good at a frost mage they are pretty good AoE farmers. got a minute CD on frozen orb. Freeze+Frozen orb then blink through the mobs so they run right into the orb. if u got it on CD can freeze+CoC and AE. they are pretty dope at AoE farm if u are good with them

u can spam NT on shit and run around like retard spamming AE too. i guess
    Last edited by Madcloud; 2013-05-28 at 03:19 PM. Reason: forgot something

I had pretty good luck with farming leather on my Brewmaster Monk. Just pull with Keg Toss and use a general AoE rotation (Keg Smash, Breath of Fire, Spinning Crane Kick, etc.) The healing from spheres and Chi Wave is usually more than enough to keep you up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are great for AOE farming. Elemental Shaman aren't bad either, so long as the mobs are a lower level. I still prefer my hunter though.

hunter, use pet to pick up mobs, even while ur skinning no need to stop, ever, once you get it down.

I would say warlock destruction. it is not as gear dependent. also you can pull huge groups and the amount of ember creation you can keep your self alive, where other classes would die.

I would agree a warlock played well is a great AoE farming class and by extension make great mount farmers in older content (Ashes, Onyxia etc). Sure many other classes can do it too, but a destro lock will let you mess up way more often due to how much self healing you have (ember tap give 25% health per use, mortal coil is 15% on a 45 sec CD from memory, the damage barrier you make from doing damage...shared health pool with your pet...it's insane how survivable they are).

After a warlock I would say a hunter however the hunter will need more gear than the warlock to do things as well. You can ding 90 on a destro lock and be in questing greens/blues and do better than a 463 geared hunter for example. Once both get into epics the lock will pull ahead but doesn't really matter, stuff dies, you loot..same end result just maybe a few seconds faster.

However if I am doing AoE farming of elites for whatever reason, I would say a blood DK in 50/50 DPS tank gear would be a good option too if you have decent gear, or pure DPS gear if your feeling frisky I guess.

Just as many others have said, the best choices are going to be warlock, hunter, and dk. With the reduced amount of dmg that pets take now (for hunters at least, I think warlocks already had it) you can tank just about anything you want with ease.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hunter. And while SV has been recommended here for farming, I prefer to solo/farm as Beast Mastery with a tank-spec Spirit Beast. Gather up a couple dozen enemies, pop Bestial Wrath, and spam Multi-Shot.

Deleted
    As someone else mentioned, not rogue!