View Poll Results: Which race's lore are yomost passionate about?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Humans

13 5.26%
  • Dwarves

21 8.50%
  • Night Elves

33 13.36%
  • Draenei

17 6.88%
  • Gnomes

6 2.43%
  • Worgen

15 6.07%
  • Pandaren

5 2.02%
  • Orcs

25 10.12%
  • Trolls

21 8.50%
  • Tauren

10 4.05%
  • Goblins

3 1.21%
  • Blood Elves

42 17.00%
  • Forsaken

36 14.57%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blood elves by a landslide. The richness of their lore and the massive diversity/divisions within the race is endearing to me.

Also partial to worgen, orcs, draenei, tauren, dwarves, and... well, most of the races, to varying degrees.

Right now? Draenei; easily. I doubt you could call it 'passionate' though. More like intrigued and hoping to find out more about them, their culture, their technology, their history. We know the general story, but they deserve more depth.

Though, I believe that one of the reasons for Blizzard not to focus on them could be because elaborating on them would mean elaborating on their technology; elaborating on their technology might make gnomes obsolete. Gnome technology is .. eh, "natural" as far as not including any outside source but 'mechanical properties'. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but I mean something like involving magic. The draenei technology involves magic and the naaru's influence as it is based on them, so it's a bit cheating, but they're way beyond any other race we've seen so far in terms of technological advancements.

Holograms, space-ships (dimensional fortresses like Oshu'gun, the Exodar, Tempest Keep), etcetera.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Gotta admit, after playing this patch and killing so many orcs, I really find myself on the same page as you, it's a sad state of affairs seeing the horde in the state it's in, I don't know what I expected but I kinda didn't expect there to be so many damn orcs following garrosh, disapointing.
    yeah, it is disappointing. It just feels like instead of having a few orcs, in this patch it shows so many of them fighting for garrosh, and us killing them.

Theres barely a single good orc left in the horde, and this just guts me, after I loved the orcs for there evolution since wc3, to seeing them as this.

The biggest and final nail in the coffin for me, will be seeing the horde lead by a none orc, the orcs reduced to nothing but a straggling band of misfits.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

Have to vote for the blood elves. Aside from being my favorite playable race, I'm very invested in their lore as each point in their story chronicles the internal and external struggles the blood elves face. Shifting loyalties, addiction, civil war, espionage, etc. The blood elves are rarely black and white or their motives/goals clear. They are neither righteous or nefarious so it's that kind of mystery that shrouds their true colors that makes their story very alluring to me.

A nice break from the traditional fantasy elves, who are more akin to night elves, where the blood elves are more concerned with power, survival and the future of their civilization. Again it's the idea that they are not good and not evil, but wavering on the fence that makes them the most interesting bit in lore, to me personally.
    "Enjoy your power"

Forsaken. They're only my third favorite race, being beaten by blood elves and dwarves, but I've found myself more intrigued by whatever they do or say. It has to be the controversy surrounding them, it isn't as strong with blood elves and dwarves.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    disappointed in the developers, in making the orcs into mad guys once again
    The orcs were not portrayed as "mad guys" by the developers. The orcs corruption to Felblood was portrayed as "mad guys" by the Alliance which lead to prison camps and of course Thrall's namesake.

The developers now are demonising Garrosh's inner turmoil -the guilt that has confounded him from killing Baine -driving him to succeed harder and faster than any other warchief before him. Personally I like Garrosh's potential and see this as a disappointing demise of his character, but then, Patch 5.4 story is still to come do there is hope for redempting story arca and dialogue yet.

Returning to my point, I think you misplace your grievance with Blizzard's portrayal of the orcs as savages. In particular the novels evoke the shamanistic virtues of the orcs as well as articulate their tragedies.

sylvanas and the forsaken, if i had tons of money id just make my own game about nothing but their "lives"

Draenei.. what little there is I dearly love. <3

The draenei technology involves magic and the naaru's influence as it is based on them, so it's a bit cheating, but they're way beyond any other race we've seen so far in terms of technological advancements.

Holograms, space-ships (dimensional fortresses like Oshu'gun, the Exodar, Tempest Keep), etcetera.
    Please don't confuse Naaru technology with Draenei technology. Currently it's very hard to separate what is Draenei and what it not. Naaru technology seems to be quite easy to operate, if even some Bloodelfs can do it.

While Draenei are infinitely more advanced than any other race that set foot on Azeroth (Exception would be the titans/old gods) me thinks that A LOT of their knowledge has been lost during the flight from place to place and died with the countless individuals that were slaughtered.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2013-05-22 at 10:50 PM.

Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

Forsaken for sure, with that comes some human lore that's related obviously. Second comes the nightelves, there's such vast quantities of lore related to them that you are bound to find at least some of it interesting.

im impressed how many seem to like the blood elf lore. personally i disliked the bloodelves since tft and also found their mana addiction rather annoying. probably i should read up more on their lore if so many like it

Draenei because of the potential from what is already there.

Ancient race of space goats called the Eredar that use crystal technologies to empower their space ships. Leaders Archimonde, Velen, and Kil'Jaeden visited by Sargeras, promise of power in exchange for loyalty/allegiance, save for Velen who through his innate prophetic visions saw that his people would have become demonic, ravenous beings of evil and instead took his people (whomever would follow) off planet to safety. More stuff happened but I don't feel like typing it.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Draenei

I just loved the theme of BC, and the atmosphere of Hellfire and Nagrand and Shadowmoon, and just the feel of the doom of the legion in general. Draenei women are also very attractive
    Do not underestimate us.

For the Forsaken!

Draenei because so much is missing, they're probably the oldest of the playable races and have been highly advanced for longer that Nelves have even existed. Shame they get neglected so much, and keep getting shoehorned into being so overly 'good'.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Blood Elves.

Their addiction/dependence on magic gives the race an interesting distinction from the rest of the setting's races on a physiological level; kind of like how the Forsaken are fundamentally antithetical to life, Blood Elves are antithetical to "no magic".
    Because of their ability to leech magic, they're interesting when placed next to demons; I love the sense that underneath their fabulous hair and good looks, they really have a core that's twisted. Generally, that these "perfect people" aren't quite so perfect when you put them under a microscope.
    Their racial leaders are, IMO, the most interesting in the game. Lor'themar is the best leader the Blood Elves could have and possibly the best racial leader in the game, but if he had the opportunity, he'd give up the job in a heartbeat.
    I was going to ask how in the world are blood elves winning this poll when I came across this post. I think the race and the lore are completely overrated and generally I find blood elves vastly uninteresting. People play them because they are pretty, and like the lore because they play the race.

I understand your point about this underlying corruption in a race that seems "perfect" but I don't find that redemptive enough for me personally.

Night elf lore is great and my favorite in game by far, followed by Forsaken. Both races have some great depth....also, I'd like to see some more gnome lore because I feel like that race has not gotten as much attention as it deserves form a lore perspective.

Forsaken and High/blood elfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Draenei.. what little there is I dearly love. <3

Please don't confuse Naaru technology with Draenei technology. Currently it's very hard to separate what is Draenei and what it not. Naaru technology seems to be quite easy to operate, if even some Bloodelfs can do it.

While Draenei are infinitely more advanced than any other race that set foot on Azeroth (Exception would be the titans/old gods) me thinks that A LOT of their knowledge has been lost during the flight from place to place and died with the countless individuals that were slaughtered.

What am I confusing? The naaru are a part of the draenei culture now. Maybe they're still separate, but for the most part, draenei and naaru technology are one and the same. Naaru technological advancements are now a part of the draenei technology. I acknowledge that at the core, naaru technology is just that: naaru technology. But it's been assimilated and become a huge part of the draenei culture. There is no confusion here.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Forsaken by far, they're pretty much the only race who's lore I feel passionate about at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LTCrystallite View Post
    Draenei because of the potential from what is already there.
    I seriously hope we see that potential realised in the next expansion if we're fighting the Legion. No neutral bs either!

Night Elves ! Of course Night elves!

Almost all races in WoW got their development in World of Warcraft, except them! I dont like how every race in Alliance got some developing and strengthening up while Night elves remain same and becoming harder and harder to notice under the Shadow of GREAT ALLIANCE (Human, dwarf and even gnomes!) and Horde.

Humans get tones of development almost in every patch ! Onyxia, Varian Wrynn, Anduin Wrynn, Tyrion, Jaina etc. Their Racial history have formed into once Glorious name the old Alliance had. Imo they are capable to go against the Whole Horde sometimes.

Dwarves - at least they got their story in Cata and MoP. They have united into one banner and there is something interesting going in there.

Worgens - they are too new and I guess MoP is just not their expansion

Gnomes - even those funny guys got some in-game change they are trying to reclaim Gnomeregan and the Starting quests are quite interesting ! Lets be honest this is the race who needs least Developments in Game, because of their lifestyle.

Draenei - same as Night Elves.
    ===============================================================
    Horde

Orcs - they are "leader" race in Horde, like Humans in Alliance so they get quite good development in every expansion. In TBC, in WolTk it was quite good to see brave orcs, Saurfang little and big, sometimes even Garrosh was good guy back then, but sometimes. *spy* In cata Thrall got all the orcs Development LoL. No comments about MoP its so obvious.
    Troll - trolls got quite good development in history of WoW too. TBC Zandalari patch. Cata 4.2, MoP 5.2 and 5.3.

Undead - Woltk was almost dedicated to them and their revenge. Even in Cata they almost conquered almost whole Northern part of Eastern Kingdoms.

Blood Elves - TBC ....... Woltk and Malygos. In MoP I started to respect these guys, especially Lor'themar Theron. Aethas is quite suspicious character but it got some develpment. In general Blood Elves became my second favorite race in Horde. They have quite epic History.

Goblins - They quickly fitted in the role of Hordes Gnomes and now they are main engineers for Horde and can be seen in every patch. In every elite team etc.

Night Elves didnt got any Lore yet in game. We knew Night Elves as totally different race until wow. Independent, strong race who tore his foe with great ferocity and Cunning, strong bounds with Nature and Demigods, once capable to Defeat Legion alone. One of the most biggest power keepers (i mean Well of Eternity and World Tree). In WC3 I loved the race. I was astonished how Tyrande managed to get through Alliance & Horde combined armies and Scourge. How she managed to waken Malfurion and then once again drive foul Legion back. That Night Elves were epic, but now I see them like Sitting at Home Moms and servants to humans (I have used these phrase in lot of threads but it fits to situation very well). In WoW there was not even a single patch dadicated to them not to talk about Expansion. In TBC they got absolutely no Lore. Just Illidan and Maiev who had no contact to Night Elven Society. In WOLTK they hardly appeared in some areas like dragonblight (But I might be mistaken as I skipped that expansion, didnt played it). In Cata they just got Jarod back and Cenarius who had made 0 action after their return. I mean 0 ! I hoped Mount Hyjal would be more Night Elfish territory and dadicated to Night Elves but they shared this story with Tauren and in the end in was Cenarion Circle's land. OK they got little lore in 4.2 as fendral got mad and Leiara got mad. In MoP nothing happened, Tyrande just got her ass into Pandaria to help Varian in what ?

War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    I pick! None. I am passionate about all lore in wow not just one race.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard