[Ret] anyone try pve 4set in pvp yet?

I was messing around with my pve set(that i purposly grinded before 5.3 FOR pvp) and with 22% pvp power my heals were really lacking, so i went with 4 piece pve with full str, str/haste, haste gems, and all off pieces were pvp gear and i have pvp power gemmed,i took away 3 pure resil gems and only lost 1% resil, and replaced that with pvp power, just to help my heals a bit, so i had 65.11% resil and 30% pvp power. Ran a few random bgs and im completly destroying, the TV buff from 4 set is hitting super hard and im bursting people down pretty quick. My heals are still a little lackluster, but i think the bonus to dps from the 2 and 4set and the 15% buff will be really competitive in rated pvp, anyone else try it?
    Last edited by Sluggo; 2013-05-22 at 02:39 PM.

My heals are bigger than before, go strength and never look back.

Also if you have Tyrannical stuff never go into instanced PvP without it, you'll be brought down to the same Ilvl with no free-budget PvP Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    My heals are bigger than before, go strength and never look back.

Also if you have Tyrannical stuff never go into instanced PvP without it, you'll be brought down to the same Ilvl with no free-budget PvP Power.
    Have you been gemming straight strength or str + pvp power?

The 4 set is OP as fuck in pvp, I expect to see a reduced/no proc rate soon.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    No it's not.

Out in the world, sure, but in instanced PvP you're trading 15% less damage on every attack for a random 40% more damage on TV.

it's a pve set, if they nerf it because it's unbalanced in pvp, i will then give blizzard the finger.
    and no it's not OP as fuck. as veliane said, in the world yes, in instnaced PvP? no.

It is when you're critting 130k TV's on plate with just a trinket proc, random or not it's OP. I doubt they'll nerf it, just reduce prooc chance in pvp.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

It is when you're critting 130k TV's on plate with just a trinket proc, random or not it's OP. I doubt they'll nerf it, just reduce prooc chance in pvp.
    It seems OP because Ret has been so bad in terms of damage for a while now. But Frost Dk's, Mages, Monks, Warlocks, Boomkins and more could and still can do that much burst damage. In fact some of them can do even more burst than that.

The 4 set bonus really just makes Ret the way it should be in terms of damage output. What they should do is change our 4 set PvP bonus to make Templar's Verdict hit for all Holy damage every 20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    It seems OP because Ret has been so bad in terms of damage for a while now. But Frost Dk's, Mages, Monks, Warlocks, Boomkins and more could and still can do that much burst damage. In fact some of them can do even more burst than that.

The 4 set bonus really just makes Ret the way it should be in terms of damage output. What they should do is change our 4 set PvP bonus to make Templar's Verdict hit for all Holy damage every 20 seconds.
    Agree with all of this minus that last part.

My lesser geared FDK crits Oblits for 120k all day, and I've seen far bigger from Locks, mages, and recently monks.

I like your idea about the set bonus in principle. What good is that extra 1000 Power now that it's worth ~2.5% damage instead of ~8%? I would like to see the "random holy proc" baked in, but on a 20-33% chance instead of a set timer. Set timers/ICDs like that are just too rigid (IMO), and Blizz has ALWAYS been of the mindset that Ret = RNG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Agree with all of this minus that last part.

My lesser geared FDK crits Oblits for 120k all day, and I've seen far bigger from Locks, mages, and recently monks.

I like your idea about the set bonus in principle. What good is that extra 1000 Power now that it's worth ~2.5% damage instead of ~8%? I would like to see the "random holy proc" baked in, but on a 20-33% chance instead of a set timer. Set timers/ICDs like that are just too rigid (IMO), and Blizz has ALWAYS been of the mindset that Ret = RNG.
    Yeah either way would be fine. Our PvP set bonus is so bad right now that anything would be an improvement.

It is when you're critting 130k TV's on plate with just a trinket proc
    Hehe I think your problem is that, perhaps, you've been a Ret Paladin too long.

When we have something that should be rightfully ours we confuse terms and believe it's OP but as others have had the opportunity to explain before me, that's a number a Frost DK would shrug off and take for granted.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is people being used to see Ret on 10th place that when it is on 5th place people think OP. But Overpowered is when the first place is WAY ahead of the others. And Ret isn't even on first place. Things are just OK on single target damage and offheals now. Still have other problems to fix (Ret toolkit being Holy but underpowered).
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is PvP Power is not very good. The 2 and 4 set gives up a bunch of PvP Power, but the T15 2 set gives 6% more holy damage from exoricsm, and 4 set gives us a 100% Holy TV.

For the most part, PvP gear is better then PvE in Arena or BGs, but not always. Look at the trinkets, which just give a lot of PvP Power. I'm thinking it maybe more beneficial to use ToT trinkets instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The thing is PvP Power is not very good. The 2 and 4 set gives up a bunch of PvP Power, but the T15 2 set gives 6% more holy damage from exoricsm, and 4 set gives us a 100% Holy TV.

For the most part, PvP gear is better then PvE in Arena or BGs, but not always. Look at the trinkets, which just give a lot of PvP Power. I'm thinking it maybe more beneficial to use ToT trinkets instead.
    In that boat too. I've got 543 Spark and 543 Feather that I'm wondering if I can/how to use. That's a shitload of Hit that I don't need in arena, but also a ton of STR too...
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post

a lot of top pvp players are trading in their proc or on use trinkets for pve trinkets, some are even using double pve trinkets

Deleted
    In that boat too. I've got 543 Spark and 543 Feather that I'm wondering if I can/how to use. That's a shitload of Hit that I don't need in arena, but also a ton of STR too...
    I haven't had a chance to test 5.3. PvP yet, but if the ilvls are nerfed to 496 in all BGs, I might try pure strength trinkets regardless of their procs just for the reliability. 2200 constant str sounds better than yet another RNG chance.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2013-05-24 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    No it's not.

Out in the world, sure, but in instanced PvP you're trading 15% less damage on every attack for a random 40% more damage on TV.
    No... Even if you matched every power socket bonus on all five pieces of tyrant gear you would still only manage 4110. That being said the 2/4pc out ways the 8-8.5% damage you'll see from just using pure PvP gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    I haven't had a chance to test 5.3. PvP yet, but if the ilvls are nerfed to 496 in all BGs, I might try pure strength trinkets regardless of their procs just for the reliability. 2200 constant str sounds better than yet another RNG chance.
    Yep, going to have to try and pick up the TOT Str trinkets off of Primo and/or Twins. The Spark and Feather, while great and reliable at 522/535/543 levels just don't go off enough reliably at 496 to be useful. And then you're stuck with an abundance of haste/hit only. I'll probably try going back to Shado-pan Assault trinket if it's still in my bags, as at least the Expertise helps over the 3% cap, and the proc is pretty reliable (even if nerfed) til I get the other trinkets.

The on-use PVP trink is nice, but since our burst is on a 2min CD, what/when/how do you guys use the other activation? Or do you just macro it to wings and forget about it?

And, on topic of 4-set: I don't have any ret pieces (minus legs off Nalak), as I'm MS Prot, but I can start picking up tier for pvp. I assume PVP gloves + Tier head/shoulders/chest/legs is the correct set up?
    20k and counting...

Yep, going to have to try and pick up the TOT Str trinkets off of Primo and/or Twins. The Spark and Feather, while great and reliable at 522/535/543 levels just don't go off enough reliably at 496 to be useful. And then you're stuck with an abundance of haste/hit only. I'll probably try going back to Shado-pan Assault trinket if it's still in my bags, as at least the Expertise helps over the 3% cap, and the proc is pretty reliable (even if nerfed) til I get the other trinkets.

The on-use PVP trink is nice, but since our burst is on a 2min CD, what/when/how do you guys use the other activation? Or do you just macro it to wings and forget about it?

And, on topic of 4-set: I don't have any ret pieces (minus legs off Nalak), as I'm MS Prot, but I can start picking up tier for pvp. I assume PVP gloves + Tier head/shoulders/chest/legs is the correct set up?
    Ya thats what im rocking, just cause u get the bonus from pvp gloves