Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Ra-den, the elephant in the room

Hello everyone,
    I'm opening this in the hope that a few people who tried or killed Ra-den are now willing to explain the fight a little bit. My own guild is only à 7/13H, but we have a good chance to reach Ra-Den just before the summer break, and I want to improve our chances to down it before everyone goes AWOL :-)

So if anyone cares to either explain the mechanics of the different phases, or talk about the way to "simplify the mechanics of Phase 1" everyone has been alluding about without ever explaining, by all means do so.

I sincerely thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by mmoc01ce35e594; 2013-05-24 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo

For the 25 man version Method made a very nice guide which you can find here
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

http://manaflask.com/en/guides/ra-den-25-man-heroic

Rogerbrown covers every important aspect of the fight very well. It's an in depth guide where you can skip to whatever is important to you by simply scrolling down and reading the titles.

Everything from Healer/Tank/DPS perspective and the total strategy from a raid-leading perspective. This should help.

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Viriel View Post
    For the 25 man version Method made a very nice guide which you can find here
    Didn't see your post in time

What about 10 man, any similar guides? Is this a 1 or 2 tank? 2 or 3 heal?

We're hoping to be there in a couple weeks and trying to be prepared.
    Aerzara, Discipline Priest
    <Modest> 14/14H - US 2nd 10m Guild

Quote Originally Posted by blusenho View Post
    What about 10 man, any similar guides? Is this a 1 or 2 tank? 2 or 3 heal?

We're hoping to be there in a couple weeks and trying to be prepared.
    1tank 2healers, think you can more or less apply the 25man strategy to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Whats AWOL?
    absent without official leave

absent with out leave.

its a military term

hes referring to when everyone is going away for the summer

Thx guys, learned something new

We had a pretty good strat on the fight, took us 15 pulls to kill him. It's not the Method way, don't know exactly where our raid leader got influenced, but it worked pretty well.

Hopefully it helps.

Basically you have to deal with the vida debuff in phase 1, kill anima orbs, and cheese your way to reset the debuff by having a very short phase 2. Once you master that part of the fight, rest of the fight is not really an issue.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2013-05-23 at 02:42 PM.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Comp:
    • 1 tank
    • 2/3 heal (3 is easier as long as you can meet the DPS check; there is a lot to heal)
    • 7/6 DPS (ranged favored, but we did it with 3 melee)

Phase 1
    • Pull him to the middle and stack on his ass.
    • He spawns orbs every ~23s; one Anima (red) and one Vita (blue).
    • The Orb you kill controls which set of mechanics you have to deal with (he absorbs the other and starts that phase). You should only do Vita, so I'm not going to go over Anima mechanics.
    • Kill the first Anima Orb, which starts the Vita mechanics. This does a large amount of damage, so use a raid cooldown.

Vita
    • Orbs continue to spawn. Keep killing the Anima Orb until you need to reset (see below).
    • There's a debuff called Unstable Vita that needs to be dealt with.
    • An add spawns called Crackling Stalker.
    • He uses Fatal Strike, which will 1-shot your tank if they do not have their active mitigation up. Not really an issue for most tanks since this should have near 100% uptime at this gear level.

Unstable Vita
    • Upon phase start, a random person gets the Unstable Vita debuff with a ~10s duration.
    • Unstable Vita will jump to the farthest person when the debuff runs out.
    • Upon jumping, it leaves Vita Sensitivity. If Unstable Vita jumps to someone with this debuff, they instantly die.
    • To control where it jumps, set up like this image where the top point is the boss and the other two points are world markers/designated positions.
    • Set up a jump rotation with everyone in your group (minus tank) and assign every other person to a different mark (ex. evens, green; odds, purple). Have the person with Unstable Vita call the next person in the rotation so they can get in position.
    • Eventually, everyone will have Vita Sensitivity so you need to reset. To accomplish this, pull the boss slightly closer to the Anima Orb and let it hit (don't kill/damage it). You should reset on set 4 and set 7. If you don't push p2 before 10, you're probably in trouble. The resets also do a lot of damage, so use a raid cooldown. We found relying on the 2x health thing (an Anima mechanic) unreliable.

Crackling Stalker
    • Your tank needs to pick this up.
    • It AoEs contantly, so keep it silenced as much as possible. We used Ring of Peace to accomplish this, but the DR changes may have broken that (as it did for Ball Lightning on Lei Shen).
    • When it's low health, stun it and knock it out of the group. It explodes for a good amount of damage in an 8yd radius upon death.

Phase 2
    • Starts at 40% and ends at 5.5% (you win).
    • Vita phase goes away.
    • He does an AoE pulse that starts hitting for a lot. Make sure you chain raid cooldowns near the end of the fight.
    • He stops spawning orbs in sets. Instead, they appear in a ring around the room and random orbs move towards the boss every ~20s(?).
    • Anima Orbs heal him for 10% of his current hp and Vita Orbs give him a stack of a +10% damage buff.
    • When an Anima Orb dies, it splits a large amount of damage between everyone near it. Make sure you have at least 4 people out there and use personals.
    • Let all Vita hit and kill Anima until ~20% hp. Pop hero and burn at this point, ignoring everything.

I might be missing a few things, but that's the gist. It's not a very hard fight after H Lei Shen.

Good luck, dude.

EDIT: Oh, and here's our kill video:

Last edited by Squirl; 2013-05-23 at 08:13 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks everyone for your pointers. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    [*]He uses Fatal Strike, which will 1-shot your tank if they do not have their active mitigation up. Not really an issue for most tanks since this should have near 100% uptime at this gear level.
    Not that it should be an issue, but except monks no tank can keep their AM up 100% of the time. So they need to make sure to keep it available and time it for fatal strike.

Thanks for that post, appreciate it, how tough is the dps requierment with 3 healers (1disc) and with 1 melee rest ranged you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    Not that it should be an issue, but except monks no tank can keep their AM up 100% of the time. So they need to make sure to keep it available and time it for fatal strike.
    I thought this was the case for (haste) prot pallies at this point too, but I'm not a tank. I listened to an interview with Midwinter's prot pally and he was claiming 90%+ uptime on SotR. I suppose "most" is not accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Thanks for that post, appreciate it, how tough is the dps requierment with 3 healers (1disc) and with 1 melee rest ranged you reckon?
    It wasn't too rough for us. We had a BrM tank, 2 disc, and a MW though; lots of DPS from non-DPS. Looking back, we were a little close to that third reset, but it was never a real concern. Not killing orbs in time wiped us like 20 times though, which is mostly because we had so much melee. Don't worry about DPS until things don't happen on time.

With item upgrades and more weeks of gear, I imagine it won't be a problem for most groups at this point.

1) Kill boss, kill balls, let him eat a ball every once in awhile, stun and knockback adds, laugh at the tank when he dies to strike.
    2) Aoe heal, kill corrupted balls, soak ball explosion with immunities
    3) (5.5% - 0%) ??????
    4) Collect loot.

It wasn't too rough for us. We had a BrM tank, 2 disc, and a MW though; lots of DPS from non-DPS. Looking back, we were a little close to that third reset, but it was never a real concern. Not killing orbs in time wiped us like 20 times though, which is mostly because we had so much melee. Don't worry about DPS until things don't happen on time.

With item upgrades and more weeks of gear, I imagine it won't be a problem for most groups at this point.
    What was you guys' average ilvl when you killed it?

Quote Originally Posted by xiic View Post
    What was you guys' average ilvl when you killed it?
    Somewhere around 528, iirc. 529.07 according to WoWProgress.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Have the person with Unstable Vita call the next person in the rotation so they can get in position.
    As far as the 25-man version goes and while I've seen guilds doing the same, the debuff jumps far faster in comparison so calling out the names every time is slow and clunky. I'm also not a fan of the Ra-den add-on. I personally prefer using WeakAuras with an aura that announces each assigned player when he or she has to move out. It keeps the voice communication clear and is very easy to use. You can see examples at least here at 1:43 and 4:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    The most notable dps requirement during the fight is on the orbs. You shouldn't be having problems with the rest of the fight if you can kill Lei Shen heroic. If you are having problems, it is probably just a case of getting more practice and perhaps fine-tuning the strategy.

Can a rogue solo soak anima orb explosions in p2 (to my knowledge they dont occur in p1?) on 10man with just feint?

Deleted
    nope, as far as i remember