Deleted

Wind Walker monks almost invincible in 2v2?

Any tips on how to deal with WW monks in 1v1 or 2v2? They seem to be able to heal for insane amounts, have incredible interrupts and deal insane damage and mobility.

I was stuck fighting one in 2v2 after we killed his healer. I was playing destro lock. Even with a healer healing me he got me in danger several times. He interrupted a lot of spells and i couldn't create any type of real distance. The few times i got him down to shadowburn range he used some kind of cooldown so that even 2 back to back shadowburns didn't kill him.

Eventually i just saved up 4 embers and just wore him down slowly until i could burst with chaos bolt and shadowburn. Very long fight 2v1.

How do you deal with a geared WW?

Deleted
    WW monks have a skyhigh skill cap. Average monks are easy to beat, particularly by ranged classes, but the good ones are OP as fuck. Blizzard can't really balance them because that will make average monks way too hard to play for regular people, and Blizzard already buffed average joe so he wants to join rated pvp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    WW monks have a skyhigh skill cap. Average monks are easy to beat, particularly by ranged classes, but the good ones are OP as fuck. Blizzard can't really balance them because that will make average monks way too hard to play for regular people, and Blizzard already buffed average joe so he wants to join rated pvp.
    Seems so. The monk i faced is a high rated one helping his mate. If the match had been me against him in a 1v1 he would have killed me 20 times over for sure.

Deleted
    sounds like you don't really know much about the class, which is a problem a lot of people have when it comes to Monks (everyone played a DK in WoTLK because they started at level 55 so I feel like they were less confusing to people). with a Monk you really need to know what they're casting and when, but if you're a caster you are most likely not going to kill him. here are some spells that you should know about I guess:

Touch of Karma: 1min30sec cooldown, absorbs all damage you take over 6 seconds and redistributes it to a target as a DoT over 10 seconds.
    Diffuse Magic (talent): 1min30sec cooldown, reduces magical damage by 90% for 6 seconds and attempts to dispell magical effects and return them to their caster.
    Ring of Peace: you probably know this one. 45 second cooldown, giant bubble that lasts 8 seconds and disarms people inside and silences anyone that casts offensive spells.
    Zen Meditation: 3min cooldown. reduces damage taken by 90% and redirects 5 spells cast on teammates to the Monk. can be cast while moving with a glyph.

you basically can't root a Monk, the PvP glove bonus causes roll/serpent kick to remove snare. they have trinket and nimble brew to break a bunch of CC, and the Tiger's Lust talent in T1 (my favourite) also removes roots and grants a sprint.
    Last edited by mmoc3face9b311; 2013-05-23 at 03:00 PM.

You know you're up against a good monk in a 2v2/1v1 because every second they aren't spending energy on attacks they are spamming healing spheres at their feet. Monks are honestly one of the best dueling classes providing they have line of sight against ranged classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    you basically can't root a Monk, the PvP glove bonus causes roll/serpent kick to remove roots. they have trinket and nimble brew to break a bunch of CC, and the Tiger's Lust talent in T1 (my favourite) also removes roots and grants a sprint.
    Diffuse Magic also breaks magical roots. And it's also really funny when some dot class puts 3 dots on you and you put them back on the caster. I once killed an affliction lock in like 5 seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    you basically can't root a Monk, the PvP glove bonus causes roll/serpent kick to remove roots. they have trinket and nimble brew to break a bunch of CC, and the Tiger's Lust talent in T1 (my favourite) also removes roots and grants a sprint.
    Dont spread missinformation. Monks cant roll/sk out of roots.
    Only SLOWS.

Yeah, the problem here being that Monks really don't have to worry about small damage or big damage every ~2 minutes as they will always have some sort of mechanic to get out of it.

Where Monks really suffer in 2s is against classes like DKs or Hunters when they have a healer, or a bursty double dps like Hunter/Rogue. But against everything else Monks are pretty fantastic in 2s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Dont spread missinformation. Monks cant roll/sk out of roots.
    Only SLOWS.
    'don't spread misinformation' - don't get so precious over a slight mistype. everything else was accurate, it's edited now. <3

Keep it clean! ~Snuggli
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-05-23 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    They seem to be able to heal for insane amounts
    I confess to be one of those still learning monk mechanics myself. I know they have a lot of ways to avoid damage. I'm not sure about how much insane healing they have. I know of these: the 15 sec cooldown talent (usually chi wave), 15 sec cooldown expel harm (low amount), healing spheres (cost high energy heal for low amount), blackout kick (if in front of the target). Are there other? Or are these stronger than I thought?

Also, this is probably the only thread I've seen since the patch went live of anyone complaining about WWs. Are they really strong and few people are playing them (or playing them well); or are they just strong vs. people that don't understand their mechanics?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warlockiii View Post
    Also, this is probably the only thread I've seen since the patch went live of anyone complaining about WWs. Are they really strong and few people are playing them (or playing them well); or are they just strong vs. people that don't understand their mechanics?
    Monk mechanics in pvp are clunky. I have a monk as well and, while I can't say I stopped playing it because it sucked at pvp, I don't really like the mechanics. I love melee classes, all my characters are melee, monks though...can't say I'm a fan of. There's just a lot of stuff that seems unreliable and which needs "skill-shotting" in order to do what it's meant to do.

Also monks are really squishy in bgs. If you are on the frontlines without a healer, you're toast in 3 secs. Rogues and ferals have the benefit of stealth to make up for their squishiness.

I faced a WW Monk/resto shaman team last night as ret/priest. It was the first match of the night and I was unfortunately still specced into some of my PvE talents.

We outgeared and outskilled the other team (IMO), but the match still went on for like 10-15 minutes. I'm convinced that if the monk had been better, the match would have ended in a draw (or we would have just left to save time). Fortunately the monk didn't use RoP very effectively. He only would cast it on himself (I was on the shaman for the majority of the match) and the shaman seemed to run away from the monk whenever he used it....lol.

I facepalm whenever we see a MW or WW team in 2s. They're certainly not unbeatable, but monks definitely do counter melee teams pretty hard (especially Ret).

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    I faced a WW Monk/resto shaman team last night as ret/priest. It was the first match of the night and I was unfortunately still specced into some of my PvE talents.

We outgeared and outskilled the other team (IMO), but the match still went on for like 10-15 minutes. I'm convinced that if the monk had been better, the match would have ended in a draw (or we would have just left to save time). Fortunately the monk didn't use RoP very effectively. He only would cast it on himself (I was on the shaman for the majority of the match) and the shaman seemed to run away from the monk whenever he used it....lol.

I facepalm whenever we see a MW or WW team in 2s. They're certainly not unbeatable, but monks definitely do counter melee teams pretty hard (especially Ret).
    long games in 2s are due to using healer/dps, regardless of your comp. As you get higher rated you will have the joy of tons and tons of timeout games because 2 healer/dps teams playing defensively can make it almost impossible to get killshots.

Quote Originally Posted by longevity View Post
    long games in 2s are due to using healer/dps, regardless of your comp. As you get higher rated you will have the joy of tons and tons of timeout games because 2 healer/dps teams playing defensively can make it almost impossible to get killshots.
    That's true to a degree. I've played teams from the 1500 bracket and the 1800-1900 bracket. It may partially just be my luck with the teams I faced, but any team with a monk generally seems to take longer regardless of rating.

i main a ww monk and playing at 1900 3s bracket (not a pro), monks would be a nightmare for melees and healers if u play right, ww monk can provide very high single target pressure constantly and around every 1 min with some big burst by stacking tigereye and on use trinket, even better if pet is up (3 mins CD), monk heal are not good compare to all hybrid dps, we only have 3 selfheal, expel harm heals around 50k non crit every 15 sec, but it needs 40 engery, healing sphere is very handy, but most of the time its not spammable since it requires too much energy (40), and only heal for 20-30k non crit, the best selfheal we have is chi wave, 15 sec CD and its FREE, which would heal for 4-5 ticks, total about 70k. once a monk pop Touch of Karma, the only thing u should do is cc him, as someone mention already, we have many tools to break snare, but we cant break any roots without pop cds, like tigerlust, it breaks root and give u 70% speed up, but during its speed up effect, we can be root or snare again, so basically, if tigerlust is on CD and we are rooted, we have to sit there.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Any tips on how to deal with WW monks in 1v1 or 2v2? They seem to be able to heal for insane amounts, have incredible interrupts and deal insane damage and mobility.

I was stuck fighting one in 2v2 after we killed his healer. I was playing destro lock. Even with a healer healing me he got me in danger several times. He interrupted a lot of spells and i couldn't create any type of real distance. The few times i got him down to shadowburn range he used some kind of cooldown so that even 2 back to back shadowburns didn't kill him.

Eventually i just saved up 4 embers and just wore him down slowly until i could burst with chaos bolt and shadowburn. Very long fight 2v1.

How do you deal with a geared WW?
    Play defensively, this is an endurance match. Gear normalization means you're just as hard to kill. Last arena match that wound up me vs. WW, we each did a million HP in self-healing and the match lasted about 10 min.

--Gate/Circle when Chi Wave pops, so it can't bounce onto you. It's only got a 25 yard range.
    --WW Monks have almost no DoTs. While s/he's feared + across the arena, bandage and refresh your healthstone.
    --When Xu'en the Suicidal Tiger comes out, Bane cleave it for extra embers.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Quote Originally Posted by warlockiii View Post
    I confess to be one of those still learning monk mechanics myself. I know they have a lot of ways to avoid damage. I'm not sure about how much insane healing they have. I know of these: the 15 sec cooldown talent (usually chi wave), 15 sec cooldown expel harm (low amount), healing spheres (cost high energy heal for low amount), blackout kick (if in front of the target). Are there other? Or are these stronger than I thought?

if you energy tea and spam orbs it adds up quickly, after you roll/port out of los say

WW Monk here. Since 5.2 i basically eat any locks for breakfast UNLESS you have good CC as your second partner.

Also, there isn't much melee wise that I can't stand toe to toe/dominiate since 5.2. My banes are Mages, Hunters, Rogues and just about any healer.
    Last edited by Doker; 2013-05-24 at 01:23 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doker View Post
    My banes are Mages, Hunters, Rogues and just about any healer.
    Rogues ?! If you don't have problems with warriors, you shouldn't have problems with rogues. Also mages ?! Unless the mage I'm fighting is really good, I can't lose to him.

Deleted
    WW monks can go from utter shite to balls-to-the-wall strong depending on the player. As a Ret I have very little chance of beating a proper monk in a fist fight (pun intended) but I can eat crappy monks for breakfast. And yea, in 2v2 they were pretty insane before 5.3, not sure how it is now as I just gave up on 2v2, too frustrating to play as Ret. In 3v3 they're a good class but not that dangerous, imo. Just don't noob out like I did last night against one and let them lock me down behind a pillar.. Fucking fists of fury!

Buuuuut yea, assuming not much did change they're probably still very strong in 2v2 (good ones, that is).