Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Actually, I'm only 27. I'm just well read and enjoy a lot of the "oldies".

What's "good" is as always, a matter of opinion. I'm going simply by the number of American-created cartoons(even in anime style) that are now on TV. From the likes of Ben 10 to the new Spiderman series, Young Justice, Green Lantern TAS, the upcoming "Beware the Batman", Avatar, and Adventure Time. What's more is that these shows not only are airing, but they are holding, and that's what matters. I mean how many times did they re-run Outlaw Star? Cowboy Bebop? Tenchi, etc..? Adventure time is into it's 5th season now, Transformers Prime is working through season 4, Avatar had 3, Young Justice had 2, Spiderman just completed it's 2nd season, Green Lantern had a good solid single season.

What new anime has come up to compete with it? As far as I'm aware, they're still re-running Naruto, Bleach and InuYasha.
    You have a couple misconceptions here, (most) Animes don't run forever till they get cancelled, they write out a story (usually adopted from a manga) make it, then air it, they don't just beat a dead horse until the ratings tank like american animators, so comparing show lengths / reruns isn't fair. As for the lack of anime on american TV today its not because the demand has gone down, its because its gone UP. Anime is now more popular in america than ever and the only reason its not on TV is because they can't compete with internet in supplying anime fans with new shows, many of whom have grown to prefer subtitles to crappy american voice dubs anyway. Why would you wait a year to watch a poorly dubbed anime on TV when you can watch it online a few days after it airs in Japan?

and if you want to bring recent Animes into the mix, I dare you try and compare Ben 10 to shows like Fullmetal Alchemist or Steins Gate
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-05-24 at 04:27 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Going to risk a slight de-rail here and say, just cuz, "Ducktales...woo-ooo" :P

Just re-watched the first season on Amazon Prime recently. Scrooge still be awesome.

It does seem right now that Marvel is the superior live action movie studio and DC has the overall superior animation studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    That a darksied fused with Brainiac. Can kick supes ass. But superman can also do the same but never does unless he goes crazy sadly...
    still, in the cartoon yeah.
    in the comics supes is at best middle range in terms of raw power, which is scary considering hes one of the more powerful heroes.
    but yeah, back to the point, Darksied can and has beaten the everliving shit out of supes with out even getting huffy.

i also find it funny that Michael ironsides was cast as general lane in the show 'smallville', thus becoming father-in-law to clark kent.
    the reason thats funny is michail ironsides voices Darksied.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    You have a couple misconceptions here, (most) Animes don't run forever till they get cancelled, they write out a story (usually adopted from a manga) make it, then air it, they don't just beat a dead horse until the ratings tank like american animators, so comparing show lengths / reruns isn't fair.
    I just hate the dreaded "oh crap, we're getting the anime out too fast and we're running out of manga.......FILLER EPISODES! MORE FILLERS!" I do prefer single shot anime of 13-24 episodes for a single season.

As for the lack of anime on american TV today its not because the demand has gone down, its because its gone UP. Anime is now more popular in america than ever and the only reason its not on TV is because they can't compete with internet in supplying anime fans with new shows, many of whom have grown to prefer subtitles to crappy american voice dubs anyway. Why would you wait a year to watch a poorly dubbed anime on TV when you can watch it online a few days after it airs in Japan?
    Doesn't help that just about every US anime distributor pretty much went belly up when the US manga/anime consumption bubble popped and Funimation pretty much gobbled them all up. Oversaturated the market with anything and everything they could get their hands on, good or bad. Overall, probably better for it to shrink down out of mainstream and back to something that can be sought out for those looking for it again. We'll see a new manga/anime surge in 10 years or so. These things are cyclical.

That said, A-Kon next weekend in DFW, TX!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I always preferred the X-Men and Spider Man cartoons myself.
    Have to agree there.

Remember the old theme music for the 90s X-Men cartoon? da-da-da-da DA DA DA DA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Have to agree there.

Remember the old theme music for the 90s X-Men cartoon? da-da-da-da DA DA DA DA!
    Oh yeah...

But do you remember "Magneto's hordes are on the way to pillage, loot, and plunder"?

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I just hate the dreaded "oh crap, we're getting the anime out too fast and we're running out of manga.......FILLER EPISODES! MORE FILLERS!" I do prefer single shot anime of 13-24 episodes for a single season.

Doesn't help that just about every US anime distributor pretty much went belly up when the US manga/anime consumption bubble popped and Funimation pretty much gobbled them all up. Oversaturated the market with anything and everything they could get their hands on, good or bad. Overall, probably better for it to shrink down out of mainstream and back to something that can be sought out for those looking for it again. We'll see a new manga/anime surge in 10 years or so. These things are cyclical.

That said, A-Kon next weekend in DFW, TX!!!!
    Funimation being the EA of the anime industry in america (read: colossal nazi money grubbing asshats) certainly hasn't helped.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-05-24 at 04:37 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Funimation being the EA of the anime industry in america (read: colossal nazi money grubbing asshats) certainly hasn't helped.
    Still, at least they're getting stuff out. So long as it has sub and dub both, I'll still buy some releases (cuz I'm OCD and wanna OWN my stuffs). But I ALSO like the super hero cartoons from the 90s and Marvel has yet to release the 90s Spider-Man full series on DVD.

So I'm grumpy on that.

Then again, Disney also hasn't released all of Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers on DVD I don't think.

Yeah, I likes my nostalgia. :P

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    and they MADE they're not making them anymore were getting a crap animated batman show(yay another "the batman") and some shit so stupid even 3yr olds will think its pandering, fuck you DC for canning young justice and GL:tas.

why they haven't just handed control of the company over to bruce timm and paul dini is astounding, i mean those two working together made the single greatest animated show in human history BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES which went on to spawn a decade long series with a main plot that started in superman tas and ended two with the last episode in one of the single most amazing show of just how much Superman can fuck up your day

then it shows that Darksied can break Superman with ease...
    Do super heroes just kind of ASSUME that nobody is occupying these buildings they're smacking villains through?

What i want to see from DC is a Darker styled Justice league Dealing with deaths of members and failures on a wider level.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Do super heroes just kind of ASSUME that nobody is occupying these buildings they're smacking villains through?
    Pfsh..people don't go inside buildings, silly.

That's actually something I found amusing that Marvel has mentioned in their books now and then. Super heroes are not natural disasters and the damage is covered under available "Super being insurance" policies. However, another ADDITIONAL policy is required for complete coverage because super being insurance actually does not cover destruction caused by the Hulk. You have to get "Hulk insurance" as a separate policy for that.

Anyone remember the old Mortal Kombat cartoon? Was focused around subzero sorta and smoke.

JL/JLU and Batman:TAS were both great. The 90's X-Men and Spider-man were good, too. More recently, Marvel's "Wolverine and the X-Men" which I think was just one season was actually good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    its superman, he can see if people were in those buildings.

and given how often this kinda of shit happens in metropolis(read: every other month) they most likely have plans for when a super battle breaks out.
    like having bunkers in the basement of every building.

I prefered the old Marvel cartoons from the 60's which were basically just tiny amounts of animation over the regular comic book:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    They all pale in comparison to the 90's X-Men and Spider Man series'.
    I will add this DC comics is just a wannebe when it comes to giving you the best comic experiance, there is no better than Marvel. Since I was a small kid back in the 80's up to now they have just become better and better even making awesome movies now and I just love Stan lee. Spider man was also my best hero to relate to most my life.

Metalocalypse > all!

DC Comics used to make killer cartoons, Batman: TAS being the prime example. Don't really dig the newer ones though, The Brave and the Bold was bad, and Young Justice just didn't do it for me, though I acknowledge that it's a good show. I think the last really great DC cartoon was Justice League.

Marvel made a few good cartoons, I think the best one was the 90s Spiderman one with the awesome opening song, but they never really reached DC's level.

The original DC animated were great; Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS were good too. The new DC nation stuff? no thanks give me Transformers: Prime or Avengers Assemble any day over that junk.

I liked Avengers earth's mightiest heros too bad they gave up making another season to reboot the series as Avengers Assemble ( not that i don't like the new series)