Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Movies] the star trek dilemma

so, as i was talking to another guy about timetravel in the star trek universe

we came across some problems

trimetravel is nothing new to the star trek universe, kirk and his crew did it in star trek IV, without any problems to their own future which brings me to the point thinking that star trek plays in numerous paralell universes by now and the last 2 movies play in another universe than what the old spock comes from

what are your thoughts about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

My view on time travel in fictional universes is simple. If you time travel back in your own universe, then everything you do was meant to happen and therefore you aren't actually changing anything. Therefore there is no time paradox that can exist because in your univers there is only one possible outcome. Had another outcome been chosen, you would be in that parallel universe.

The last two Star Trek movies involve not only time travel, but more importantly a jump to a parallel dimension where nothing from the previous universe can be counted on as canon.

The 2 newest movies take in place in another universe yes.
    I think that is actually outright stated in the one from 2009.

I think that the others (Original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space 9 and Enterprise) take place in the same universe. Just different times.

In the first movie (of the reboot) it was stated we're in a whole new universe. That doesn't mean situations couldn't arise that didn't in the other, such as Khan.

Deleted
    it's not real, just a movie with explosions and exposition and shizzle. no need to take it so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    it's not real, just a movie with explosions and exposition and shizzle. no need to take it so seriously.
    Whaa? It´s not real??

Quote Originally Posted by Advertise View Post
    I think that the others (Original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space 9 and Enterprise) take place in the same universe. Just different times.
    As far as my knowledge goes, this is correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    so warp timetravelling = staying in the same universe

blackhole timetravelling = welcome to another universe
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Indeed, Star Trek isn't real time travel...however, Back to the Future is based on a true story.

So you can change your timeline, but people in photos disappear, or something like that.

There are three things to remember when dealing with time travel in Fantasy.

1) It already worked and the people are living predetermined actions to make it work again
    2) They, for some reason, fail to change what they want and return to the normal time
    3) They make the change and return to a completely different universe.

Those are the three main possibilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Indeed, Star Trek isn't real time travel...however, Back to the Future is based on a true story.

So you can change your timeline, but people in photos disappear, or something like that.

Now this i can believe. Gull wings on cars are mandatory ofc.

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is simple really. Captain Picard came back and put right whatever went wrong in the timeline.

The two new films take place in an alternate timeline.

A much stupider, less interesting, appallingly crappier timeline.

The Doctor said it best "Wibbly wobbly timey wimey" or if that doesnt satisfy try lucy lawless on the simpson "A wizard did it"

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that was just so JJ Abrams could have the liberty to write new Star Treks without being too tied to canon.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    The two new films take place in an alternate timeline.

A much stupider, less interesting, appallingly crappier timeline.
    Agreed, I haven't seen the new one but the first was so full of plot holes it was ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Agreed, I haven't seen the new one but the first was so full of plot holes it was ridiculous.
    The latest one is, how shall I put this mildly...complete shite.

The effects are good, the girl is hot, and Benedict Cumbersnatch is as good a villain as you'd expect him to be - pretty much the only redeeming features of the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new movies take place in a new timeline that has been significantly altered enough to break away from the Prime Timeline that we're used to. From what I always understood, the prime timeline could absorb lesser events and straighten out, but significant events cause it to deviate. Those outside the timeline (like 29th century Starfleet) could monitor and send teams to repair the damage but those caught in the changes would be unaware (Yesterday's Enterprise, Year of Hell) and unable to change things without some form of communication or realization that things have changed. I suppose an event could be large enough to even change the 29th century, thus preventing any reversal but I'm not sure.

So as it stands, we're in a new timeline that can be considered the new prime timeline and the previous one no longer exists. Up until the moment of the appearance to Nero we were in the original prime timeline. There is even a scene in the Admiral's office where you can see a row of model vessels that show the immediate change between prime timeline ships (the one Kirk's father died on) and what eventually developed into the giant monstrosity that is the "new" Enterprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The latest one is, how shall I put this mildly...complete shite.

The effects are good, the girl is hot, and Benedict Cumbersnatch is as good a villain as you'd expect him to be - pretty much the only redeeming features of the movie.
    Cumbersnatch? Was that intentional?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    so, as i was talking to another guy about timetravel in the star trek universe

we came across some problems

trimetravel is nothing new to the star trek universe, kirk and his crew did it in star trek IV, without any problems to their own future which brings me to the point thinking that star trek plays in numerous paralell universes by now and the last 2 movies play in another universe than what the old spock comes from

what are your thoughts about this?
    Go home Star Trek, you're drunk.

And actually they time travel and go to a parallel universe as far back as ToS. (City on the Edge of Forever, Mission: Earth, Mirror Mirror et al)

It's really just a gimmick "lol its parallel blah blah blah" to have given J. J. Abrams an excuse to have a Leonard Nemoy cameo and for J.J. Abrams to have more artistic freedom. It was supposed to be a Star Trek reboot, because on one hand Star Trek needed a reboot, with all kinds of mystical fantastical garbage at the beginning (ToS) and a bunch of sciencey technological hollywood crap at the end.

But it also would be douchey to reboot a franchise without proper follow through. And proper follow through on something as gigantic as Star Trek means THOUSANDS of hours of content. And J.J. Abrams is clearly not up to such a task and has thus since backed off from calling it a franchise "reboot" and called it "star trek in a parallel universe, lulz".