Pet running back and forth

If I put my pet on assist, it sometimes returns to me for apparently no reason (as if I had called him back). After a short break, he runs to my target again.

Normally I don't mind this too much, but yesterday at the trash mobs before Lei Shen, I noticed my pet (I think it was my arcane wyrm serpent or the tallstrider) doing it constantly:
    attack once, run back to me. attack once more, come back to me etc.
    I thought: "maybe the pet automatically returns while their lightning shield is active", but I was careful not to damage a mob with a shield, and it happened nevertheless. I also made sure that it's not returning because I have a /petfollow in a macro somewhere by only using autoattacks... still my pet was running back and forth like rabid.

So, what gives? I don't particularly care about 4 trash mobs, but randomly losing pet uptime on bosses might get a bit annoying.
    Last edited by Lil; 2013-05-24 at 09:58 AM.

Deleted
    I also encountered this problem during the Dark Heart of Pandaria scenario. I commanded my cat to attack the oozes that dwell in the cave, and he also leaped back and forth like he was using Rabid.
    I had my pet on Passive all the time, but I don't think that has anything to do with this minor bug. While doing the Battlefield: Barrens quest, after the scenario, I didn't encounter the bug anymore.

Deleted
    Call the pet off and give him an order to attack again (via pet bar). At least this trick worked for me.

My guess is someone f-ed BS coding and pet is trying to get minimum distance to use "teleport".

I haven't noticed this at all. Having pet on assist is generally advised against in a raid because it will cause it to run around being stupid whenever you change target. Personally I leave my pet on passive and macro /petattack into my Arcane Shot.