Rain of Fire single target

I remember seeing a blue post/tweet sometime during the 5.3 PTR that they want to remove Rain of Fire from Destruction's single target rotation, but looking at the live patch notes I don't seem to see anything about the change going through.

Do I still need to cast Rain of Fire on single target? If so what sort of DPS loss would I be looking at if I didn't do it ~500 ilvl.

~5% dmg loss. A lot more if you often hit another target.

They said they want to, but not until at least 5.4.

RoF is a major source of damage on certain fights, and a decent one on the rest. Do not drop it from your rotation. While the targeting can be annoying, you'll get used to it quickly if you keep at it.

We'll see what Blizz does with it in the future, but for the time being, you should really train yourself to use it.

Deleted
    Not before 5.4. I want it gone as well, it feels clunky using it for single target fights.

I find destro kinda boring in general, we could use a little something to spice up the rotation, but oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varulv View Post
    Not before 5.4. I want it gone as well, it feels clunky using it for single target fights.

I find destro kinda boring in general, we could use a little something to spice up the rotation, but oh well.
    Or make it a glyph that will just make it hit your target. They should give destro another fire dot.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Or make it a glyph that will just make it hit your target. They should give destro another fire dot.
    I don't want a glyph for that purpose. It doesn't solve the problem whatsoever. There's plenty of fights where you spend a lot of time single target DPSing, but where you'd also need to place RoF off to the side of a target. (Lei Shen, Twins, Animus, Ra-den, etc)

i quite like rof in my rota
    i mean whats left? 3 buttons + chaosbolt? mutch more fun to add a rain of fire in as another "dot"
    and i realy like the fact that i have to klick , helps me not to fall asleep :P

Honestly I can't wait for them to change this. RoF single target feels clunky and it's short duration doesn't gel with everything else.

Deleted
    Rain of fire is the reason ive went back to mastery on my warlock, i despise it so much that during bloodlust i end up wasting 10+ globals on rain of fire just because it can 'potentially' be the strongest way to gain embers (this is the case 85% + of the time).

I really really wish they would just turn immolate into a SUPER solid ember generater, like 2/4 embers on hit/crit and do the same with conflag (this could really do with a +25% damage bonus aswell to make it a lot more effective for bursty damage).

And the last thing i want for destruction is that havoc gets to be usable on single target exactly the same way as it is atm except with a 50% damage reduction when used on ember consuming spells.

Quote Originally Posted by AjayxD View Post
    Rain of fire is the reason ive went back to mastery on my warlock, i despise it so much that during bloodlust i end up wasting 10+ globals on rain of fire just because it can 'potentially' be the strongest way to gain embers (this is the case 85% + of the time).

I really really wish they would just turn immolate into a SUPER solid ember generater, like 2/4 embers on hit/crit and do the same with conflag (this could really do with a +25% damage bonus aswell to make it a lot more effective for bursty damage).

And the last thing i want for destruction is that havoc gets to be usable on single target exactly the same way as it is atm except with a 50% damage reduction when used on ember consuming spells.
    Buffing Immolate would be nice, but I'd rather they give us a new single target spell that duplicates the effects/mana cost/cd of single target RoF, but that has to be cast and will only hit one target. That way we don't lose the current playstyle (which is pretty much required because RPPM makes the planning ahead aspect of 5.0/.1 moot), and we also don't have to ground place a spell.

I do not want Havoc to be usable single target. That means that we now have to make a choice on whether to use havoc for single target, or for cleave. In addition, it now means that our single target damage is balanced around the idea that we have Havoc for single target. Using Havoc for other targets means a nerf to single target damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Buffing Immolate would be nice, but I'd rather they give us a new single target spell that duplicates the effects/mana cost/cd of single target RoF, but that has to be cast and will only hit one target. That way we don't lose the current playstyle (which is pretty much required because RPPM makes the planning ahead aspect of 5.0/.1 moot), and we also don't have to ground place a spell.
    But what happens to RoF then? If lets say it was changed to only generate embers on 2+ targets that would inflate our ember regen further due to having both RoF and your new proposed ability on a fight like megeara. I assume the two abilities would have to share CD then? Though that would prevent putting multiple RoFs out?
    Last edited by Micke; 2013-05-25 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted

I do not want Havoc to be usable single target. That means that we now have to make a choice on whether to use havoc for single target, or for cleave. In addition, it now means that our single target damage is balanced around the idea that we have Havoc for single target. Using Havoc for other targets means a nerf to single target damage.
    Fair point, the idea behind havoc is practically what you are saying anyway, something with a semi reasonable cd which can be used as an ember inflation tool. I only mentioned havoc cause its already in the toolkit, but i think we are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    But what happens to RoF then? If lets say it was changed to only generate embers on 2+ targets that would inflate our ember regen further due to having both RoF and your new proposed ability on a fight like megeara. I assume the two abilities would have to share CD then? Though that would prevent putting multiple RoFs out?
    RoF would be such that on 2 targets it is worth using, but on one it isn't. That's what the point of the ability would be.

To clarify, the ability (I quite like the name Searing Pain personally) would have a CD that is reduced by haste the same amount that RoF's duration is, is an instant cast, and deals the same damage that an average RoF would, as well as generate the same amount of embers an average RoF would generate. It would also cost the same amount of mana as RoF.

It isn't a RoF that's on the target. It's a spell that has the same effect that an RoF would have and can be casted the same amount

Basically, it'd completely replace RoF on single target, keeping the single target rotation the same. On low number of targets it'd still be useful to use for ember generation purposes, so it'd be a slight buff of our toolkit there, but once we hit the point we're swimming in embers anyway it'd not be used.

---------- Post added 2013-05-25 at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AjayxD View Post
    Fair point, the idea behind havoc is practically what you are saying anyway, something with a semi reasonable cd which can be used as an ember inflation tool. I only mentioned havoc cause its already in the toolkit, but i think we are on the same page.
    Havoc shouldn't be changed at all. It's fine and is great. (Besides maybe making it so curses can't use Havoc stacks )

They could always give us a glyph making RoF similar to what hand of gul'dan is now. Unglyphed you have to target it on the floor, glyphed you cast it centered on your target without having to aim for the ground. I wouldn't mind it in my rotation then.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    They could always give us a glyph making RoF similar to what hand of gul'dan is now. Unglyphed you have to target it on the floor, glyphed you cast it centered on your target without having to aim for the ground. I wouldn't mind it in my rotation then.
    My response:

I don't want a glyph for that purpose. It doesn't solve the problem whatsoever. There's plenty of fights where you spend a lot of time single target DPSing, but where you'd also need to place RoF off to the side of a target. (Lei Shen, Twins, Animus, Ra-den, etc)

Deleted
    In an ideal world where i could just add spells to the rotation this is exactly what i would do to make destro play smoother.

Immolate - 2 embers on hit, 4 on crit
    Conflag - 2 embers on hit, 4 on crit
    Searing pain - 45 second CD, all ember generation on this target is doubled for 8 seconds (debuff on target)
    Rain of fire no longer viable for single target (dont care how they do this)

This would mean that Immolate and Conflag both have a purpose and you would actually look forward to using them, also the addition of searing pain like this would mean that we dont have a second 'dot' but what we do have is something that we can actively use to give some on demand ember generation in order to prepare for burst damage.

Deleted
    make it last longer..