Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So Unions, how's that Obamacare working out for you?

Not too well it sounds like.

When President Barack Obama pushed his health care overhaul plan through Congress, he counted labor unions among his strongest supporters.

But some unions leaders have grown frustrated and angry about what they say are unexpected consequences of the new law — problems that they say could jeopardize the health benefits offered to millions of their members.
    But last month, the union representing roofers issued a statement calling for "repeal or complete reform" of the health care law. Kinsey Robinson, president of the United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers and Allied Workers, complained that labor's concerns over the health care law "have not been addressed, or in some instances, totally ignored."

"In the rush to achieve its passage, many of the act's provisions were not fully conceived, resulting in unintended consequences that are inconsistent with the promise that those who were satisfied with their employer-sponsored coverage could keep it," Robinson said.
    Is anyone surprised by this? I, for one, am not.

Deleted
    Obamacare is bad, universal healthcare is good.

Whats Obamacare? You mean Healthcare?

obamacare? you mean the republican answer to universal health care? funny how that part keeps getting left out... by the same people
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Its healthcare for the poor that hurts everyone else. They only cared about getting healthcare to those that cany afford it, ignoring what would happen to people that do. Not surpirsed. Any educated person saw this coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with some good ol' fashioned union bustin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Not too well it sounds like.

Is anyone surprised by this? I, for one, am not.
    All I see are unions complaining that they can't siphon dues from their members for health services anymore.

What a shame.
    Last edited by Bashkar; 2013-05-24 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Nothing wrong with some good ol' fashioned union bustin'.
    Well... the issue with that is the unions being the counter to corporations political interest. With citizens united granting massive strength to money in politics, getting rid of the unions would mean that only the corporations are left to spend money freely on political issues.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bashkar View Post
    All I see are unions complaining that they can't siphon dues from their members for health services anymore.
    More or less. This is a complaint from union leaders, not union members.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Obamacare is a failure by design, crafted to pave the road for total government control of healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Obamacare is a failure by design, crafted to pave the road for total government control of healthcare.
    Government control of healthcare would be a good thing in many peoples opinion. Obamacare does nothing of that sort and instead gives massive amounts of money to the insurance companies. I would MUCH rather have true universal government healthcare then be forced to buy a product from a corporation. Granted I have health care from my job, but on principal I find the mandate part of the health care bill to be tantamount to being forced to buy Pepsi. Frankly, I dont think deciding if someone lives or dies should be a for profit industry. But the Democrats suck at selling ideas to the public. Had they phrased the issue as "medicare for everyone" I think they would have done better.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Government control of healthcare would be a good thing in many peoples opinion. Obamacare does nothing of that sort and instead gives massive amounts of money to the insurance companies. I would MUCH rather have true universal government healthcare then be forced to buy a product from a corporation. Granted I have health care from my job, but on principal I find the mandate part of the health care bill to be tantamount to being forced to buy Pepsi. Frankly, I dont think deciding if someone lives or dies should be a for profit industry. But the Democrats suck at selling ideas to the public. Had they phrased the issue as "medicare for everyone" I think they would have done better.
    Exactly. This is just a show piece to make healthcare so miserable for people they can institute real health care. The problem is we either suffer until they repeal it or the institute real health care.

Deleted
    But the Democrats suck at selling ideas to the public.
    Nope. It's just that their ideas suck (from your perspective). They don't really want what you want (apart from a few fringe democrats).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    obamacare? you mean the republican answer to universal health care? funny how that part keeps getting left out... by the same people
    Oh I'm sorry, were the Republicans in control of both Houses and the Presidency when this was passed?

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    People want socialized medicine, they are just too obtuse to get the word "socialized" out of their mind as being something evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... the issue with that is the unions being the counter to corporations political interest. With citizens united granting massive strength to money in politics, getting rid of the unions would mean that only the corporations are left to spend money freely on political issues.
    Meh, unions never had an advantage in political spending over corporations pre-citizens united, contrary to popular belief. People can still make a PAC for whatever the hell they want and spend as much as they want on whatever the hell they want.

Yes it's true: bleeding heart liberals can indeed be anti-union.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, unions are a thing of the past, and I will enjoy watching them crumble over the next few years. Thanks democrats! I luv u guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Oh I'm sorry, were the Republicans in control of both Houses and the Presidency when this was passed?
    The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), is written by the same person who wrote then Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts statewide universal health care plan. The same person who wrote that also authored a universal health care model for the Heritage Foundation, to which was also proposed by Newt Gingrich and the House Republicans during President Clinton.

So Yes, "ObamaCare" IS a republican born, written supported proposed and sponsored health care solution.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Good, unions are a thing of the past, and I will enjoy watching them crumble over the next few years. Thanks democrats! I luv u guys!
    you do know without unions we won't have things like sick days, overtime pay, vacation days, fair wages, etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny...in the uk..people constantly complain about conservatives trying to privatize the healths service to line the pockets of their filthy rich friends...in the USA people complain that super wealthy companies are losing out on money in order to help sick and dieing people :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaril View Post
    The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), is written by the same person who wrote then Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts statewide universal health care plan. The same person who wrote that also authored a universal health care model for the Heritage Foundation, to which was also proposed by Newt Gingrich and the House Republicans during President Clinton.

So Yes, "ObamaCare" IS a republican born, written supported proposed and sponsored health care solution.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 12:04 PM ----------

you do know without unions we won't have things like sick days, overtime pay, vacation days, fair wages, etc?
    I think it would be safe to say that if we didn't have unions when unions were prevalent we wouldn't have them. To make that claim in today's time would be fairly ignorant with all the government regulations on businesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaril View Post
    If the Glorious Market does not provide something, it is Wrong to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by cakin View Post
    I think it would be safe to say that if we didn't have unions when unions were prevalent we wouldn't have them. To make that claim in today's time would be fairly ignorant with all the government regulations on businesses.
    Right. Because businesses would NEVER lobby to rollback workplace regulations or have them not enforced. No siree, they'll just meekly accept the regulations.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters