Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaril View Post
    you do know without unions we won't have things like sick days, overtime pay, vacation days, fair wages, etc?
    Sure, but a mix of legislation and improved HR practices are making unions obsolete.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Obamacare is a failure by design, crafted to pave the road for total government control of healthcare.
    Dun dun dun, here we are on the end of the road of serfdom! We are almost there! Medicare definitely isn't government controlled healthcare!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unions are outdated and it's no wonder they're struggling to prove their validity in this day and age. There was an undeniable need for them at their inception, but that time has long since passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    If the Glorious Market does not provide something, it is Wrong to have it.

Right. Because businesses would NEVER lobby to rollback workplace regulations or have them not enforced. No siree, they'll just meekly accept the regulations.
    You make it seem that businesses can do anything they please. They can't. When unions were necessary businesses had free reign to do as they pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by cakin View Post
    I think it would be safe to say that if we didn't have unions when unions were prevalent we wouldn't have them. To make that claim in today's time would be fairly ignorant with all the government regulations on businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Sure, but a mix of legislation and improved HR practices are making unions obsolete.
    You do realize that Unions have lobbyists that go to the capitol and get lawmakers to make laws such as overtime pay and minimum wage?

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    obamacare? you mean the republican answer to universal health care? funny how that part keeps getting left out... by the same people
    It's a COMPROMISE.

Honestly you guys act like Republicans are the only assholes in Washington, but you are just as uncompromising as them. Not only that, but Democrats seem so eager to protect jobs as long as they're not insurance jobs.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azaril View Post
    You do realize that Unions have lobbyists that go to the capitol and get lawmakers to make laws such as overtime pay and minimum wage?
    What's hilarious is that you think unions push minimum wage laws because they're benevolent entities when really it's well known that they push the minimum wage laws to make union labor cheaper by comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's a COMPROMISE.
    Noun

compromise (plural compromises)

1. The settlement of differences by arbitration or by consent reached by mutual concessions.
    2. A committal to something derogatory or objectionable; a prejudicial concession; a surrender; as, a compromise of character or right.

I'm sure you can guess which definition I'm thinking.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a COMPROMISE.

Honestly you guys act like Republicans are the only assholes in Washington, but you are just as uncompromising as them. Not only that, but Democrats seem so eager to protect jobs as long as they're not insurance jobs.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 05:22 PM ----------

What's hilarious is that you think unions push minimum wage laws because they're benevolent entities when really it's well known that they push the minimum wage laws to make union labor cheaper by comparison.
    Funny just like you were now? /rollseyes

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Noun

compromise (plural compromises)

1. The settlement of differences by arbitration or by consent reached by mutual concessions.
    2. A committal to something derogatory or objectionable; a prejudicial concession; a surrender; as, a compromise of character or right.

I'm sure you can guess which definition I'm thinking.
    I don't particularly care what you're thinking about as you have quite a history of bias when it comes to American politics despite not even being American.

Democrats wanted Universal Healthcare. Republicans wanted it to at least stay private. Now both get what they want.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    Funny just like you were now? /rollseyes
    I think you should look at who the primary beneficiaries are when the minimum wage gets hiked.

10+ Year Old Account
    My point was, these same people that are now against it were so gung-ho for it when it was being passed. Now that, big surprise, it's turning out not to be what Obama and the Democrats claimed it to be, they're opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Good, unions are a thing of the past, and I will enjoy watching them crumble over the next few years. Thanks democrats! I luv u guys!
    Workers would be screwed without unions.. They are overall useful, albeit some of what they demand is impractical. I'm an accountant for a hotel in LA - it is non-union, but because many of the hotels in the area are, it forces them to compete in way of benefits and wage. To me this is perfect, I don't like unions personally, but would be screwed without them and unable to afford to live and have shitty benefits.. Now I get the best of both worlds..

My gf works for a union hotel, her dues cost ~10 (her dues cover her health insurance cost) more a month than my health insurance, but she also gets paid breaks, and makes $.50 more an hour for a lower level job.. So it more than makes up for it.

If wages in the job market would compete with the rising cost of living then it wouldn't be an issue, but until businesses can appropriately take care of the lower level workers, unions are a necessary force.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Workers would be screwed without unions.. They are overall useful, albeit some of what they demand is impractical. I'm an accountant for a hotel in LA - it is non-union, but because many of the hotels in the area are, it forces them to compete in way of benefits and wage. To me this is perfect, I don't like unions personally, but would be screwed without them and unable to afford to live and have shitty benefits.. Now I get the best of both worlds..

My gf works for a union hotel, her dues cost ~10 (her dues cover her health insurance cost) more a month than my health insurance, but she also gets paid breaks, and makes $.50 more an hour for a lower level job.. So it more than makes up for it.

If wages in the job market would compete with the rising cost of living then it wouldn't be an issue, but until businesses can appropriately take care of the lower level workers, unions are a necessary force.
    See here's the thing. Unions, themselves are not inherently bad. Organized labor is a fine thing. The problem comes in the form of expansive government privileges and protections for them. Right To Work handles that issue nicely, however.

Surprised no. Does it mean the whole bill should be revoked? Nope. Blame the Republicans, they were the ones that interfered with every aspect of the bill and made it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by gmike View Post
    Surprised no. Does it mean the whole bill should be revoked? Nope. Blame the Republicans, they were the ones that interfered with every aspect of the bill and made it this way.
    Yeah always blame the Republicans... it's not like any legislation democrats have ever enacted has produced unintended consequences before.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Its healthcare for the poor that hurts everyone else. They only cared about getting healthcare to those that cany afford it, ignoring what would happen to people that do. Not surpirsed. Any educated person saw this coming.
    Hi, I'm a very educated person that started my own family business. Not poor. We're currently using my previous employer's COBRA plan, which runs out early next year.

Just in time for us to subscribe to one of the California exchange programs, which will reduce our premiums and be much, muuuuuch easier than getting insurance coverage for our small business.

This program is awesome for a small business like us. Conservatives like small business, right?
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Deleted
    Right wing Americans always fail to see the succesfull(succesfull does not equal perfect) European model.
    This thread is garbage, how can you badmouth unions when they essentially 'liberated' the worker class.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Right wing Americans always fail to see the succesfull(succesfull does not equal perfect) European model.
    This thread is garbage, how can you badmouth unions when they essentially 'liberated' the worker class.
    Because Unions in the US don't work the same as they do in Europe.

In Europe from what I understand, a worker can choose what union he belongs to. In the US, that's not the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Europeans just complain about other things.

ruhhhrohhh this looks like free market capitalism to me

http://news.yahoo.com/obamacares-not...135929504.html

^ well now holy shit Healthcare providers competing and HOLY fuck prices going down. Well I'll be

Deleted
    Because Unions in the US don't work the same as they do in Europe.

In Europe from what I understand, a worker can choose what union he belongs to. In the US, that's not the case.
    They can't? Why? That doesn't sound like freedom to me

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    ruhhhrohhh this looks like free market capitalism to me

http://news.yahoo.com/obamacares-not...135929504.html

^ well now holy shit Healthcare providers competing and HOLY fuck prices going down. Well I'll be
    Please point out how American healthcare is cheaper then European xd