Deleted

How long will this setup last me?

Just wondering how long it will be before my platform is obsolete for gaming?

i5 2500k 4.6 GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 560 TI x 2 in SLI
    128 GB SSD
    3 x 1TB HDDs

There is already GTX 780s etc on the market for £800+

Makes my setup feel puny in comparison.

What do you mean? Your system has been obsolete for a while, but it should still last you a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Your cpu is one generation old, and you GPU too but it will last as long as you are confortable with the performances it gives

Edit
    Both gonna be 2 generations old soon
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-05-24 at 09:12 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your definition of obsolete

Do you mean outdated? The second you buy a PC-related product, its outdated
    Do you mean unusable to a point where you can't enjoy games? I think the SLI 560's and OC'd 2500k can last you a good while longer. I'm no expert but I'd imagine at least 2-3 more years before games start feeling really uncomfortable due to wear and tear as well as games becoming more demanding.

Think of it this way: Worst case scenario imo is that its 'obsolete' in 2 years. Thats 730 days. Get like a piggy bank of some sorts and do this: Every day for the next 730 days, put 2$ in. Thats $14 a week evenly spread out. By the end of the 2 years you will have $1460. That'll be enough for an adequate build!

The more you put in every day, the more you'll have. Have a plan. 2$ will get you a strong upper-mid range build. 3$ a day will leave you with $2190 at the end, allowing for a monster build!

Deleted
    Well I don't play all the latest games so it should last a long time I guess.

I don't want to build a whole new PC again anytime soon, I only bought the parts last year, maybe I could SLI some new cards and buy a high end socket 1155 CPU in 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
    maybe I could SLI some new cards
    One high end card is better than two midrange cards. Also one high end card retains it's value better and can be resold in 2-3 years unlike midrange or low end cards. The GTX560ti's you have now is the weakest link because of low RAM. The cards have only 1.2GB video RAM and there's already bunch of games out that use and gain speed from having up to 2GB RAM on the card and the number goes higher every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
    and buy a high end socket 1155 CPU in 2 years?
    Only upgrade option you have is either i7-26/2700k or i7-3770k for the CPU, there will not be any new socket1155 processors coming out ever again.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Listing your hardware is totally meaningless without context.

You need to state how many screens you are using, what resolution you're playing in, what type of games you play, what settings you demand from the games you play, etc.

Your hardware is a generation or two old. Doing SLI with old GPUs imo, not worth it. You can get a single card that's far more powerful than those two 560's.

Unless you're running a 3+ screen Surround/Eyefinity rig these days, you probably don't need more than 1 GPU unless you're extremely hardcore and have a very high resolution single panel.