Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    hrmm... Only one?

Planescape: Torment.
    BioShock (I guess more the environment than the story...)
    Witcher 1 and 2, as mentioned above
    Chrono Trigger
    Pong hehe

Probably more. Hard to remember all the games I've played.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Above all. Definitely Dragon Age: Origins. DA2, not so much. I liked the narrative thing they did with Varric, but I felt the rest of the story was flat compared to DA:O. But unlike some people, both my husband and I feel that DA2 was just a stepping stone. It was storywise :P but I think it was gamewise, as well. Hawke is a major character in the war, story needed to told. Here's hoping DA3 will be awesome.

Mass Effect, the entire trilogy together, had a pretty awesome story, too.

I'm too tired to list anything else, those are my big two.

Legend of Legaia. The story of the seru and the Ra-seru...simply amazing. It sucks that the game ended up in the shadow of FF7....

15+ Year Old Account
    Xenogears.

Honorable mention for Star Ocean, as a series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect series, Dragon age: Origins, Kingdom Hearts, and the Walking Dead.

Also Heavy Rain.

Video games are an awful medium for storytelling. Nothing really stands out as a literary masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    oh god the first comment had to be someone who can't read "work in progress". Why do you hate me sorry? Why? Why???????????

Don't really play a lot of SP games any more but among my favorites are Golden sun 1&2, Knights of the old Republic and Mass Effect 1.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
    Video games are an awful medium for storytelling. Nothing really stands out as a literary masterpiece.
    I was judging as-is. Of course video games are not as great a medium as books or movies. Within the medium, however... there's some good stuff.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I was judging as-is. Of course video games are not as great a medium as books or movies. Within the medium, however... there's some good stuff.
    I don't agree with this at all. I shed tears while Playing Mass Effect 3 and the Walking dead, that has never happened to me while reading a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I shed tears while Playing Mass Effect 3 and the Walking dead, that has never happened to me while reading a book.
    I agree with this guy. Mass Effect (2 and 3) had a lot of tear jerky moments for me. Dragon Age: Origins, more so in the character development, had me tearing up on occasion. And I have never wanted to vehemently kill someone like I did Arl Howe or Vaughn, or give a hug to Alistair. That game brought out a lot of emotions for me that a video game shouldn't have. I've read a lot of books, and not many have elicited an emotional response like that. But it might be because I'm more of a visual person, has more effect on me, I guess.

Deleted
    Wrong. In fact, I do not feel anything when reading a book. The only thing I'd read are science books.

Planescape Torment is a good example of a literary masterpiece in Video Game form.

10+ Year Old Account
    God of War games, BlazBlue games,WarCraft 3.

Honorary Mentions:WoW,StarCraft,Metal Gear Solid.
    Howay the lads!

Chrono Trigger had for me one of the most engaging stories I've ever played through. Great twists throughout the entire story. One of the largest plot twists happens around 18 hours into your first play through, something big things happen. That major event I'm referring to was a holy hell moment for me when playing it. Nothing in a game has dropped my jaw as much as that. If you just want it spoiled the main character of the game gets killed saving the rest of the group. After that point you can do tons of side quests, including messing with time to save the main character from dying, which gets complicated cause you have to leave in tact the events you witnessed, else you'd create a paradox.

Another game I really just loved was Knights of the Old Republic 2. That game is phenomenal as is, but if it had not been rushed to completion could have been the WoW of single player RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vokal View Post
    The Legacy of Kain /Soul Reaver series.
    YES! jesus i almost forgot seriously

FFX was immense too - and was going to get my top vote here - but Vokal just open my mind to a greater story.

Oh i miss owning a console.

I'll have to give Warcraft a mention to - i've read all the books and completed all the RTS's and play wow obviously. The lore is quite expansive and is very very good.

Bastion for me, the storytelling in that game was just very well done.

And I honestly can tell a story as well as any medium can, they just tell it in a different way.

Deleted
    The Walking Dead, I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

No other game has ever touched the high throne of Planescape Torment when it comes to a video game story.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I would have to say Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. It was the first RPG to introduce a faction/reputation system. It made you be good......or suffer the consequences.

They're good in their own way.

However, if Visual Novel counts, I'd say The Devil on G-String or Kara no Shojo.
    If not, I'm really uncertain about what to say... I've played A LOT of RPGs over the years and I think every one of them had their "best story moments" at times.
    Though I'd say one from the Suikoden/Dragon Quest series would be good.