Future multiple professions on one character ?

do you have any plans for a 3rd profession slot?
    Probably not the way you're thinking. #crypticGCtweets

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ghostcraw...86527949946880

When I saw this the first thing that popped in my mind was allowing a character to carry an additional profession(s). Possible UI similar to swapping glyphs where you could only have 2 active professions at a given time. Thoughts ?

Deleted
    why stop at 3 and why not have all of them?
    why have leveling when you could give everyone instant professions?
    Make it easier please then the game will get much better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Economy would be weird with such a implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Why let people have more than 1 profession? Take one away from everyone, then everyone will HAVE to work with other players to do anything profession related.
    See? I can do sarcastic nonsensical questions too.. but they don't actually mean anything.

Adding a third profession doesn't equate to letting everyone do everything they want. Consider the system they added in Vanilla: there were crafting professions, gathering professions, and for the most part if you wanted to craft you needed to gather (or get the mats from someone else). While it was nice to be able to make lots of things, there weren't a lot of specific reasons why you needed to have two crafting professions; you could do just fine at any level of raiding with a gathering profession and a crafting profession, needing only a few specific mats from other professions for high-end or specialty goods.

Now, however, we have profession perks. If you're a blacksmith, you get two extra sockets. If you're an alchemist, you get extra strength flasks. They all average out to about 320 primary stat point, but in many different forms... unless you have a gathering profession. If you have a gathering profession, you get a perk that is intentionally weaker (haste, crit, or stam).

So.... the Vanilla system was designed to encourage players to work together for crafting, or to encourage players to take a matched pair of crafting/gathering profession. The MoP system is designed to do the same, but is ALSO designed to encourage players who care about performance to take two crafting professions that are beneficial to your character.

This is, in fact, the primary motivation behind most requests for an additional professional slot, though I don't often see such requests being well constructed. Many people want to be able to gather and craft, as they did in Vanilla, without being punished by having weaker profession perks. That's why you'll often see request for a third profession slot that can only be a gathering profession.

I personally expect to see the third slot be restricted to a gathering profession, or limited in some way that doesn't allow you get the full benefits of the profession perk. Either solution would allow players to take two crafting professions for the perk and still be able to gather to support themselves. (An alternative would be to rework the system to get rid of profession perks, which in their current form are just obnoxious in my opinion, but I don't see that happening.)

Account-Wide Professions seems most likely, especially since they said they were working on it back when Mists was released.

Deleted
    Most people have multiple characters these days. They get access to different professions that way.
    If you want to argue it isnt fair for gatherers, then boo hoo because although they dont have the best profession perks they do have an essential and great way of making money which makes them unique. Why should everyone have everything and why cant people just accept you make choices and you get different perks? You choose engineersing then you get lots of fun toys, but its hard to make gold etc.

Do what other people do and have a gathering character and a raiding one. Lots of people dont even gather these days because there are bots and its either too boring or not profitable. If you did reduce it to one then it would make people more unique and each profession a serious choice. Less people with a profession= more demand per professional. Two has worked fine this long. Making things easier isnt always a recipe for making things better.

Ps if they got rid of profession perks i.e the extra gems or slots, then I wouldnt care as it would be the same for everyone.

What I expect players want is another slot for an already existing profession.
    That is not going to be what we see there.

I would hope instead to see it being a tertiary profession.
    Being one of several almost like secondary skills, but limited to just a single choice from several.

Addition of more professions per character is a bad thing. In mmo enviroment (even if some additions to WoW constantly try to turn it more into a single player game) the interaction between players is a positive thing. Therefore, if to create a certain item, or improve an existing one, you need somebodys help - that is a good thing. Having all the possibilities to do it yourself - thats a bad thing. It's like adding a solo mode to raiding - the game is multiplayer, why would you do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    What might be likely is that they make profs sorta account-wide- I.E. you learn profs/recipes on one toon, but can access those profs and the recipes from all toons. Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I'd think Server-Wide would make more sense.

I really don't like changes like that. Just because it really feels like GC hate alts and want to finally kill them. How alts overall, not only profession alts, are affected by professions? You know. Usually when GC is trying to make some feature "less popular", he goes too far. I.e. if GC is trying to find out, what thing may prevent him from "nerfing" some feature - then it's really bad sign. We should really be prepeared to it's complete removal. You know, how it happens. Little problem, nobody even whines about it, everybody happy, and then...suddenly it became a "big" problem - justified, proved, valid problem. GC tells us, that something should be "nerfed", but he uses this thing only as occasion to completely kill something. And when we realize, what happened, it's already done. And, as we know, he usually uses "shooting a fly with a cannon" methods. It's like with specs. We'll better kill specs at all, instead of simply implementing 3rd spec or spec manager. Same here. Players really like leveling alts. But GC has some "theory" and he'll better kill alts at all, rather then support the feature, that many players like and they don't even need to be "forced" to do it.
    Last edited by AVPaul; 2013-05-25 at 06:01 PM.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

I hope gathering professions gets split with the rest, with characters having access to 1 gathering on top of 2 crafting ones.
    Last edited by Juicebox; 2013-05-25 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndogg View Post
    do you have any plans for a 3rd profession slot?
    Probably not the way you're thinking. #crypticGCtweets

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ghostcraw...86527949946880

When I saw this the first thing that popped in my mind was allowing a character to carry an additional profession(s). Possible UI similar to swapping glyphs where you could only have 2 active professions at a given time. Thoughts ?
    Maybe they'll add more profession slots, but make them account wide?

Deleted
    It takes away from the people who have gathering as their profession. It used to be different and interesting more dunbing down doesnt make it better.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just wish they remade the gathering profession perk. They would make more sense with primary stats. Skinning giving Agility, Mining giving Strength and Herbalism giving Intellect. It would fit so nicely.

As for what Ghostcrawler really means....I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    AVPaul what does it take away from your alts if people can also gather on their mains?
    I don't really care about professions at all. I care about alts. And when GC is trying to find things, that my decrease alts importance - then it's really bad sign for alts.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I just wish they remade the gathering profession perk. They would make more sense with primary stats. Skinning giving Agility, Mining giving Strength and Herbalism giving Intellect. It would fit so nicely.

As for what Ghostcrawler really means....I have no idea.
    Skinning already gives a crit bonus.
    Mining gives a stamina bonus.
    Herbalism gives the self heal that gives a haste buff when activated (an int bonus would make sense though).

---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 01:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    I don't really care about professions at all. I care about alts. And when GC is trying to find things, that my decrease alts importance - then it's really bad sign for alts.
    There was a blue post that suggested one idea they're kicking around is a progressive xp nerf for alts.

Main gets to max level
    First alt gets a 10% xp nerf, gets to max level
    Second alt gets a 20% xp nerf, gets to max level
    Third alt gets a 30% xp nerf....

They didn't say they DOING it, just that it's an example of something they've discussed for a little boost for leveling alts. How far the nerf would go would have to be decided, etc if they chose to do it. I personally like the idea.

I don't really see a need for more professions per character, account wide, etc. The utter self sufficiency actually hurts the game, I think. It's another example of social vs anti-social game design.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-05-26 at 01:36 PM.

Master of All I love having all professions, makes life so much easier. I like being able to sustain myself and friends, and not wasting gold on the over priced AH items.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I wouldnt fit at all, Im afraid. What you think is mining = BS = pally/dk/warrior, but imagine a priest with engineering/mining combo or a mage with JC/mining combo. That wouldnt fit at all if they get str bonus

In my opinion 2 is a good number, it fits when you want gathering + crafting proff, also fits if you want 2 gathering proffs for a farming char.
    Would having 3 proffs be nice? Sure, but Blizz rarely does something only cause it would feel nice