Building a laptop.

Greetings, I'm looking to take on the challenge of building my own laptop. However I'm having trouble finding places to buy the parts for it. Could anyone point me to a good site for buying new laptop parts? Buying the case, and all the internals.

It's basically agreed upon that it's better to just buy a laptop from a manufacturer. Unlike desktop PCs - laptops are very hard to construct for people who have no experience doing so, you're unlikely to save any money (in fact, building your own laptop will probably cost more than it would to buy one), and it will be very difficult (i.e. near impossible) to find parts as a consumer.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-05-26 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has built laptops in the past from OEM parts, I have a pretty good tutorial on how to do this.

1) Don't
    2) Seriously, if you didn't follow the first step, circle on back to #1.

Building a laptop has VERY few parts available, and warranty is even harder to deal with. Support is slim. There are literally 0 benefits to doint it, outside of saying "I did it!" and then being sad that you could have saved time and money doing it the normal way.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    As already said, it is extremely hard to get laptop parts as a consumer and installation of these parts is more difficult than in a 'regular' PC. The closest you can get to a custom laptop is one that's built according to a BTO-principle (Built To Order). You have a choice of different processors, videocards, harddisks, RAM and sometimes even screen or other parts. These will be installed for you.

I like the idea of building a laptop, and I commend you for wanting to take on the challenge. But really, leave this one to the professionals, no matter how bad you might want to.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    As someone who has built laptops in the past from OEM parts, I have a pretty good tutorial on how to do this.

1) Don't
    2) Seriously, if you didn't follow the first step, circle on back to #1.
    Aye, I've never built one but I have disassembled and attempted to reassemble it and god was it a pain(somehow managed to have extra screws and parts). You might be able to get a bare-bones laptop but you would be severely limited in what you could put in it performance wise due to air flow you would just be better off going name brand in the long run.