Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Was America once as insane as depicted in Bioshock Infinite?

Note: I am very hazy or not too bright on history, but it's just fascinating to see in Bioshock Infinite, how insane the general populace of Columbia is under the bright sunny imagery. But what's scarier, is the developers said they based it off real events or people.

Is that true?
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

They based it off of some concepts, with Randism in the first two, and Manifest Destiny in Infinite if that's what you mean. But it was exaggerated to drive the plot.
    The industrial revolution is less exciting than a man deep throating a sea slug that lets him throw fireballs.

It's politics. Welcome to ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    They based it off of some concepts, with Randism in the first two, and Manifest Destiny in Infinite if that's what you mean. But it was exaggerated to drive the plot.
    The industrial revolution is less exciting than a man deep throating a sea slug that lets him throw fireballs.

It's politics. Welcome to ideology.
    I mean the racism and religious zealotry.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

errr... some places and groups of the country are right now.

'Once', that is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Yes, racism and religious zealotry were elements of the United States. Rather, more so, back then.

Infinite was based off of Manifest Destiny. Many cultures when expanding or developing have an equivalent of it.

yes. as sad as it is yeah shit was a lot like that.

some were worse than others mind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire planet was/is/shall be at one time or another insanely racist, and the vast majority of the planet was/is/shall be at one time or another ruled on a religious basis. So without having played the game or knowing exactly what you are referring to, I can say the answer is probably yes.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Bioshock Infinite is certainly an over the top depiction, but that was a decidedly insane time in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bioshock Infinite is certainly an over the top depiction, but that was a decidedly insane time in our history.
    Not sure if today is much better when you look at the big picture.

In the hall of heroes, Slate refers to Wounded Knee and the Boxer Rebellion. Both are events that actually happened in history. Pinkerton's the company that "hired" Dewitt was also a real company.

Yes, I'd say it was.

But obviously it's a caricature in the game, since we didn't have people like Comstock and Lutece who could build a physical metaphor for heaven.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2013-05-26 at 06:19 AM.

Deleted
    Not sure if today is much better when you look at the big picture.
    You need to look again.

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    You need to look again.
    How so.
    Children are still thrown into the machinery, we just pay other people to do it in other countries.
    We still fight for resources(read, the reason for territorial expansion), the private civilian is now regulated on an unprecedented level.

The only element that has changed on a fundamental level is religiosity, and representation of minorities. We simply endorse factories that abuse the ghetto in other countries, instead of our backyard.

I argue we're still in some "insane time period".

It's a caricature taken to an extreme. As for 'based off of real events,' when they're saying that, they're talking about things such as the Boxer Rebellion and Wounded Knee, which are both things that quite obviously really happened.

the private civilian is now regulated on an unprecedented level.
    measured how?

We're talking about a time period when the army actively clashed with a striking union.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    measured how?

We're talking about a time period when the army actively clashed with a striking union.
    Are you referring to the civil war?
    And the fact is, we didn't have the ability to begin with as we do now to spy on a citizen, throwing out the premise of would they have the intent.

You couldn't track a persons purchases, or where they went for summer like we can now for instance.

Deleted
    Not on the whole, no. But in certain communities during the "wild west" period, yes indeed.

Deleted
    The industrial revolution was a terrible time to live in if you wheren't white, male and rich.

---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 11:34 AM ----------

Are you referring to the civil war?
    And the fact is, we didn't have the ability to begin with as we do now to spy on a citizen, throwing out the premise of would they have the intent.

You couldn't track a persons purchases, or where they went for summer like we can now for instance.
    No but you could shoot him in the head if no one's around and you could bury him in some forest & nobody would ever know

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no.

America did have similar qualities and attitudes, but Bioshock infinite takes them to the extreme.

I have a feeling the racism was worse but the religious zealotry was less than what it is in Bioshock Infinite.