1. #1

    Asked to Go Holy: Am I Doing It Right?

    Afternoon MMO Champ,

    I've just got back into raiding after a break and I've been headhunted by a new guild on a different server to my current one which I should be moving to in a few days. They've asked me to play my Holy Paladin which is my 5th alt (I don't really have a main) but which is the one that's the most neglected gear wise.

    My UI and gameplay is - I think - correct but before I go ahead powerlevelling professions or anything I'd just like it if any current Holy Paladins (preferably in HC content as that's what I'll soon be moving to) would look over my character and tell me if I'm doing it right or if they have any little tips etc.

    I normally go with Holy Avenger & Unbreakable Spirit in my talents but just testing the rest out a bit.

    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/Fnx/advanced

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Gemming seems rather fine, except there isn;t much to gem yet . Now that hand of purity is on 30 sec cooldown, I'd go with clemency pretty much every fight. You never know when you need that extra sacrifice, since purity won't really keep your tank alive during a crisis and don't think there are any bosses atm leaving tanks with heavy ticking dots. I always liked cooperating with the tanks with double sacrifice, it made it much easier for them to plan out their own cooldowns.

    Also, light's hammer. If your raid isn't stacked on a fight you would rather go with holy prism.

    Not rally sure about spirit/mastery gems for 60 stat bonus, could be a good idea or a bad idea but we don't have fixed stat weights and mastery got nerfed a little bit, so unless the bonus is a 120 stat I'd go with pure spirit gem(your mana regen is really low at the moment).
    Last edited by rinleezwins; 2013-06-03 at 12:13 PM.

  3. #3
    Seems allright.

    Stats wise: just keep stacking mastery. Once you get more gear, you could go for the first haste breakpoint of 3506, to get some extra ticks on EF.

    Talent wise: Purity will find it's use on some fights (Horridon, Council), but generally keep Unbreakable Spirit. You didn't mention if you'll be raiding 25m or 10m. On 10man you'll find Holy Prism to be better on most ToT fights, as people are often too spread to get good use of Hammer.

    Glyph wise: 1 Glyph I would really recommend (the 1 glyph I never go without) is Divine Plea. It removes the 50% healing reduction, and turns it into a 4sec cast. The cast scales with haste, and it's a lot easier to find a 3-4sec window to cast it, than to find a 9sec window of 50% healing.

  4. #4
    Hey sorry I'll be doing 10m raiding. Quick boosts through T14 normals to gear up the next 2 weeks (they're a freshly reformed team) and then hopefully moving on to ToT.

    Yeh like I said I'm just testing out Hand of Purity etc. but I agree that there aren't too many DoTs in Throne (there are in T14 but that's cheese content now in most gear). I like the ideas of double sacs/bops but also I like the reduced Lay on Hands for tank saving/mana CD. I think these - like most talents - will change a lot. I haven't actually even tried Holy Prism yet so will give that a go tonight.

    The concept of the DP glyph is nice and probably worth trying, I'm just too used to sneaking in plea uses from my Cata days to change it willy nilly just yet. Probably need more haste.

    @rinleezwins - Most likely correct about gemming for socket bonuses so I'll replace them gems tonight for more regen. I haven't actually been on this character really since 5.3 dropped so not worked around the nerfs yet.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniie View Post
    Hey sorry I'll be doing 10m raiding. Quick boosts through T14 normals to gear up the next 2 weeks (they're a freshly reformed team) and then hopefully moving on to ToT.

    Yeh like I said I'm just testing out Hand of Purity etc. but I agree that there aren't too many DoTs in Throne (there are in T14 but that's cheese content now in most gear). I like the ideas of double sacs/bops but also I like the reduced Lay on Hands for tank saving/mana CD. I think these - like most talents - will change a lot. I haven't actually even tried Holy Prism yet so will give that a go tonight.

    The concept of the DP glyph is nice and probably worth trying, I'm just too used to sneaking in plea uses from my Cata days to change it willy nilly just yet. Probably need more haste.
    I'd recommend using this time to get used to Holy Prism, its a pain to try and get used to it once you're into the harder content, same for the DP glyph, its not always the right choice depending on the type of fight but its worth getting in some practice while its not going to mean life and death.
    Personally I love Clemency, just for the crazy amount of utility it brings when you use it properly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Gemming seems rather fine, except there isn;t much to gem yet . Now that hand of purity is on 30 sec cooldown, I'd go with clemency pretty much every fight. You never know when you need that extra sacrifice, since purity won't really keep your tank alive during a crisis and don't think there are any bosses atm leaving tanks with heavy ticking dots. I always liked cooperating with the tanks with double sacrifice, it made it much easier for them to plan out their own cooldowns.

    Also, light's hammer. If your raid isn't stacked on a fight you would rather go with holy prism.

    Not rally sure about spirit/mastery gems for 60 stat bonus, could be a good idea or a bad idea but we don't have fixed stat weights and mastery got nerfed a little bit, so unless the bonus is a 120 stat I'd go with pure spirit gem(your mana regen is really low at the moment).
    There is no 60 stat bonus that make up for the socket, unless the socket is blue. Even if the socket bonus is spirit, you're better of popping a pure spirit gem in.

    OP: Holy Avenger is great on a few fights, but you're generally better of with Diving Purpose. The procs will save you a lot of mana.

    Examples where holy avenger shines:
    Megaera rampages
    Tortos heroic, stacking shields

    Also don't see a reason to glyph divine plea. If you ever have 5 seconds to stand there and cast it (well maybe 4.5 due to haste), then you could have just popped plea and cast some half assed holy lights instead. There's just no reason for that glyph at all.
    Last edited by Proberly; 2013-06-03 at 12:46 PM.

  7. #7
    I've loved Divine Purpose so far on testing but only when it procs haha. Sometimes I get lucky and get like 6 in a row whilst other times I'm waiting forever to even get one proc. HA just feels better because it's on demand and can be worked into a CD routine on encounters.

    I'll definitely check out Holy Prism then and will also swap a couple of them gems out to skip the crappy bonuses.

    I'm guessing Execution Sentence is pretty horrid for Holy right now due to the real lack of lengthy stacking phases on encounters in ToT?

  8. #8
    Epic! Freia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniie View Post
    I've loved Divine Purpose so far on testing but only when it procs haha. Sometimes I get lucky and get like 6 in a row whilst other times I'm waiting forever to even get one proc. HA just feels better because it's on demand and can be worked into a CD routine on encounters.

    I'll definitely check out Holy Prism then and will also swap a couple of them gems out to skip the crappy bonuses.

    I'm guessing Execution Sentence is pretty horrid for Holy right now due to the real lack of lengthy stacking phases on encounters in ToT?
    Execution Sentence is single target and takes too long. It would likely overheal by the time it gets the "final burst". The only fight it has been good on was Tsulong.

    Holy Avenger is better than Divine Purpose more often than not, so I would stick with it. I wouldn't bother going for eternal flame breakpoints ever.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-06-03 at 01:03 PM.

  9. #9
    Ah right yeh I wasn't planning on using ES like ever with the death of the traditional "tank healer" nowadays. I'm not arsed at all about breakpoints; haste is the least of my worries at the moment. I'll just take it when it comes.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    Execution Sentence is single target and takes too long. It would likely overheal by the time it gets the "final burst". The only fight it has been good on was Tsulong.

    Holy Avenger is better than Divine Purpose more often than not, so I would stick with it. I wouldn't bother going for eternal flame breakpoints ever.
    Holy Avenger is great on fights where burst healing is needed, but DP will generally grant you more holy power in a fight, thus saving you more mana. It's probably better for him with his low gear.

  11. #11
    Epic! Freia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Holy Avenger is great on fights where burst healing is needed, but DP will generally grant you more holy power in a fight, thus saving you more mana. It's probably better for him with his low gear.
    HA is great on all fights.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    HA is great on all fights.
    Doesn't change the fact this his gear is very low on spirit, and that DP will save him more mana.

  13. #13
    Epic! Freia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Doesn't change the fact this his gear is very low on spirit, and that DP will save him more mana.
    When I started the expansion, I used HA and it was fine. I didn't switch to DP until the PvP 4p which we all know heavily favored it. He already says he prefers HA so obviously he wasn't seeing any sort of mana save from DP and would rather pick and choose when to get out burst healing over favoring rng.

  14. #14
    Well tbh I think I'll be using Holy Avenger on most fights for 2 reasons;

    1. Random procs are random. It could potentially save me 0 mana.
    2. I'm a good player and very experienced with managing mana in low gear. I won't have any mana issues in T14 and won't be touching T15 till I'm around iLevel 500+ where spirit won't be an issue for normal modes.

  15. #15
    Moderator Malthanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Not nearly out of the way enough
    Posts
    4,509
    If you're looking for help/critiques on your healing, please use the appropriate thread.

    Closing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •