Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Weight Loss, Walking ALLOT

Hey I'm in the process of losing weight. I'm male, 5ft 9 and 28 years old I'v gone from 304 pounds down to 244 at the moment, 30 of them pounds was just from changing how I eat. then I started exercising,

I was doing the treadmill and bike, for some months but it got boring, then I thought about walking outside, I started with a mile, worked my way to 5 miles, then few weeks later I did 2 laps of the lake where i live and home again which was 8 miles.. but it was all flat and was getting easy, I then found that the lake wasn't the only place to walk. the park had loads of trails and many went up hill,

I worked out a nice hard route, the flat part is about 460 feet above sea level and doing the walk I go up the hills to the highest point which is 1100 feet, its a good climb up the trails, my legs are burning, my calf's are screaming ( which have got bigger :P ) I'm out of breath and heart pumping, all together the walk is about 14 miles. ( even hit 23 miles in one day but that destroyed me for the next 3 days :P ) I do it every morning 6 days a week, and 5 of them miles is all up steep hills, Iv even started running up the hills,

I'm eating right, only drink water or green tea, meals are normally chicken or tuna or turkey, NO processed food at all, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potato, no salt. no butter, eat lots vegetables and salad and 1 or 2 fruits for snacks, + protein shake after training

my question is, will this be enough to lose the next 50 pounds I'm planning to lose, or should I start also doing the bike again or something else? I'm also doing weights 3 times a week,

the walk is long but I really enjoy it, I love my morning to midday walk lol
    Last edited by mmocfed25d410f; 2013-05-26 at 08:24 PM.

Deleted
    no help ?

Deleted
    Walking is okay for fat burn, but at one point your body will get so used to it that it will fight back and you won't lose much weight.

I would recommend you go back to the gym and start doing some HIIT training instead, as that worked really well for me for weight loss and its a very effective way of doing cardio. You can do like a 30 min HiiT session on a bike and then go and do 20-30 min of Cross trainer and then you should see nice results.

Well done on the weight loss so far, keep it up

ps: about your diet. It's good that you cut out bread, especially white bread as it's horrible. But I wouldn't recommend you skipping carbs completely as it's really good for getting energy back for the next day. I would eat a little pasta or rice sometimes.
    Last edited by mmoc9ab72d99d5; 2013-05-28 at 11:36 AM.

You should start running, walking will only lose you so many pounds. Also, keeping your heart rate elevated by activities such as running will increase your weight loss.

It's enough, when you feel like it you can swap the walk with actual running. The no bread, rice, past, potato, salt part is quite problematic though. For how long you think you can go like that? Once you dropped those 50 pounds you will go back to what you ate before or will you not eat bread, rice, pasta etc. for REST OF YOUR LIFE? If you gonna back to what you ate before you gonna gain all the weight back in no time. So what I suggest is, eat whatever you want just less portions, count calories and you won't even notice you are on a diet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had 284 pounds couple months ago, the weight was stable and didn't raise or drop in past few years.
    What I changed:
    - Avoid energy drinks, avoid coffee (don't like the taste) - get caffeine pills from sports food supplements shop instead. No calories, no taste, super cheap.
    - Drinking sugar-free drinks or water, or water + sugarfree syrup for taste.
    - Order bucket of sports food replacement with average calorie count (not gainer, not weight loser), and sometimes replace a meal with a glass of milk and scoop of that powder.
    - Fruits often, like apples. Avoid very sweet fruits, avocados, bananas and other fat/carbohydrates thingies.
    - Sometimes I don't feel like eating, so I just skip the meal or take next meal early.
    - Otherwise eat all you like, don't go overboard with fat meals. But a pizza or a burger sometimes is fine.

My weight went down from 129 kg (284 lbs) to 123 kg (271 lbs) in just 2 months of basically zero effort.
    Now I started walking extra 30 min a day, that should speed things up.

Note: If you want to be in shape, like strong arms and chest and stuff, go lift iron, that's the only real thing that makes you strong and converts fat to muscle. Worst case scenario you become bear-man, with bit of fat and LOT of muscle, which is also cool. All those training machines, bikes and stuff - not worth the time spent on it. Also running while overweight is putting strain on your knee joints, be very very careful with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kvakvs View Post
    converts fat to muscle.
    You can't convert fat into muscles, that's not how human body works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kvakvs View Post
    Note: If you want to be in shape, like strong arms and chest and stuff, go lift iron, that's the only real thing that makes you strong and converts fat to muscle. Worst case scenario you become bear-man, with bit of fat and LOT of muscle, which is also cool. All those training machines, bikes and stuff - not worth the time spent on it. Also running while overweight is putting strain on your knee joints, be very very careful with that.
    I'd just like to add that being strong might not be a goal in itself. The question should be "why do I want to be strong for?". If it's just vanity reasons then yeah, go ahead

But on topic: Running. The trail in the park you walked through? Try running through it. Try doing a lap where you run to where that uphill starts (The one you walked through), maybe rest 5 minutes, drink some water and stuff, and then walk up the hill. That would really be great for burning fat and generally getting in shape.

Congrats dude - huge accomplishment.

I had to lose a little weight myself and this is how my doc explained it to me and it made a lot of sense. As long as you have a calorie deficit every day, you will continue to lose weight even if you don't exercise. Exercise is important and does help with weight loss in addition to other health benefits, but it's more of just icing on the cake. The exercise you do should just be something you enjoy doing, and do it for at least 1hr a day. Obviously, if you have a deadline goal in mind, you want to amp it up, but if you are looking at it as a lifestyle change (as is usually recommended) just find something active and fun for you.

That advice worked wonders for me as a guy who tried to go hard every time I wanted to lose weight (like doing p90x) and got burnt out in 2 weeks. Since I hated doing it I just gave up. I like the outdoors and not watching a DVD in my living room so I started hiking and swimming and been doing that ever since.

Add on the topic of eating the right things, sure it's healthier, but not required to lose weight. There was a guy who did a study where he only ate hostess cupcakes for a month and lost 10lbs. It's just watching calorie intake. (Not suggesting that's what you eat, just there to make the point.)
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-05-28 at 12:16 PM.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/1...sor/index.html

Lost 27 lbs in 10 weeks. Body fat went down, bad cholesterol went down, while good one went up. All of this achieved only by earing Twinkies.

As you can see no matter what you eat, if you are below your calories limit you will lose weight. That's why all those DON'T EAT THIS OR THAT diets fail miserably in the long run. Eat normally, eat less, eat often - 3 basic rules. And best part is only thing you need to change about what you eat is the amount.

I've lost 15 kilos in the last 8 weeks and I only worked out for the first 5, the other 3 I had A LOT of birthdays and events going on where I sometimes ate bad foods like takeaways or got drunk which can add weight on too, but outside of those days I kept to my healthy foods and never went over my calorie intake even on the days that I cheated a bit.

Deleted
    thanks all for the comments and tips,

With the running/jogging , im trying to do it but I have a bad knee I have from an accident few years back and im still carrying a good bit of weight its hard on the knee but im still pushing.. even after todays hike, 13 miles i was on a straight and jogged/ran about 0.7 mile but i was knackered lol and legs burning and still had 2 miles to walk home..

im gona jump back on the exercise bike here at home for an hour or 2 a day extra,

im 29 in august im hoping to be close to 200 by then, and down to 190s before November, then will hit the gym more to tone up doing some more weights,

Thanks all

I also have a questions regarding weight loss. I'm 21, 188cm, and 87 kilos. I lost 11 kilos in about 5 months by diet, and started jogging recently. I'm able to go about 2-2.5 kilometres at the moment. Is diet+jogging enough to loose 2-3 kilos per month? Or something like push-ups/abs/gym is required?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    I also have a questions regarding weight loss. I'm 21, 188cm, and 87 kilos. I lost 11 kilos in about 5 months by diet, and started jogging recently. I'm able to go about 2-2.5 kilometres at the moment. Is diet+jogging enough to loose 2-3 kilos per month? Or something like push-ups/abs/gym is required?
    As long as you are burning more calories than you are taking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    Yes, you can lose weight doing that.

Pushups, core work, and lifting at a gym are all very good ideas for reasons unrelated to weight loss.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found a good quote that goes something like this ... your body shape isn't dependent on how hard you work at the gym its about how clean your eating.
    Eat good food, eat small portions, do some exercise. If this doesn't work you need to see a dr because you may have thyroid or hormonal issues that may be effecting your weight loss efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieP View Post
    I found a good quote that goes something like this ... your body shape isn't dependent on how hard you work at the gym its about how clean your eating.
    I wouldn't call that a "good" quote. You can lose fat purely with diet, you don't magically develop attractive musculature while sedentary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I wouldn't call that a "good" quote. You can lose fat purely with diet, you don't magically develop attractive musculature while sedentary.
    You mean those WWE belts that electrocute people while they watch TV don't work?!?!?!?

May I suggest battle ropes? A great way to relieve stress, and a great full body workout.

Deleted
    Those ropes seem interesting.