View Poll Results: Would you like a 2nd Hearthstone like this?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like this idea as presented; I think it would add to the game.

    28 31.82%
  • I like this idea, but I think it should just replace the standard Hearthstone.

    21 23.86%
  • I like this idea, but I would change it and here is how…

    3 3.41%
  • I do not like this idea and here is why…

    35 39.77%
  • Other

    1 1.14%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire WarlockJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Robot Island
    Posts
    426

    I Propose a 2nd Hearthstone that you bind to ANY location of your choice.

    Greetings,

    I've been on a RP server for several months now (I am enjoying myself greatly) and the topic of 'having a home' was presented to me.

    Now obviously, you cant have your 'own' home in the game, but there are a large amount of houses you can RP inside.

    The awkward thing is most of these spots are NOWHERE near any cities and are very inconvenient to go to say, on a daily basis.

    The standard Hearthstone is bound to an Innkeeper.
    The 2nd Hearthstone is bound to ONE location of your choosing using a way-point. You can pick the middle of nowhere if that is what you want.

    I don't see how this would hurt the game at all, and I can come up with a dozen quick ways that this would enhance the game for people; especially on a RP server.

    I'm sure I'm not the first, but what does the community think about having a 2nd Hearthstone that operates differently?

    If this has a positive reaction, I'll present it on the official forums as an idea.

    Thank you,

    Jack

  2. #2
    I don't see how this enhance anything in game. The hearthsone is already at 15mins.

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire WarlockJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Robot Island
    Posts
    426
    Did you read my post? Its not a matter of how long the hearthstone is set for. I think the current duration of 15 minutes on the Hearthstone is MORE than reasonable. However, The hearthstone CD could be reduced to 5 minutes or less without effecting this idea at all.

    There are a lot of locations that people may like to visit often (Especially in an RP environment) that are not close to a town.
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-05-26 at 09:04 PM.

  4. #4
    I think the point is more on having two bound locations rather than needing to hearth more frequently.

    I've started a webcomic. Updates Sporadically. Last update 9/4

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlockJack View Post
    Did you read my post? Its not a matter of how long the hearthstone is set for. The hearthstone could be reduced to 5 minutes without effecting this.

    There are a lot of locations that people may like to visit often (Especially in an RP environment) that are not close to a town.
    But that's not the point of a hearthstone. Hearthstones are meant to take you to the hearth (or however you say it).

    What you're suggesting just adds more teleports to a already heavy porting game.

  6. #6
    Pandaren Monk Agent Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    1,806
    The point isn't hearthing more frequently it is hearthing to a remote spot. Read the guys post.

  7. #7
    Pandaren Monk Lemposs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,844
    I'm a big roleplayer and housing was never something that we really cared about. Because to be honest in a world like this it is all about being together in a public place, not sitting at home sipping tea with the same people everyday. If the game doesn't have player housing this is just something we work around. Same reason mini versions of bosses and mechanical pets are completly banned in unwritten rules and is completly overlooked.
    Now for the question at hand; I think it is nice idea from a RP point; but it would require far to many restriction, since it would be used for spawning right at the raid entrance etc. and be exploited in all sorts of ways. So no, I personally don't see this is a viable thing

  8. #8
    Mechagnome MeHMeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    right over mjah!
    Posts
    596
    It should be a Mage talent if implemented. Make a portal to anywhere you've put it or somthing.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    3,544
    I offered up this idea looooong ago and it was shut down. I presented as a 'flag' you would plant in the ground somewhere that would now be that hearthstones hearth location. I guess there could be exploits used with that kinda device. Personally, I would luv it - and I came up with it in a very similar way as you - as I longed for a "home" to hearth to. I personally would pick the most obscure place I could find.

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk Agent Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    But that's not the point of a hearthstone. Hearthstones are meant to take you to the hearth (or however you say it).

    What you're suggesting just adds more teleports to a already heavy porting game.
    A hearth is a fireplace or a home. So that is the point of a hearthstone. He is asking to be able to set it to a remote house not just for a city inn.

    The game isn't teleport heavy and it wouldn't effect your gameplay at all.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 05:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I'm a big roleplayer and housing was never something that we really cared about. Because to be honest in a world like this it is all about being together in a public place, not sitting at home sipping tea with the same people everyday. If the game doesn't have player housing this is just something we work around. Same reason mini versions of bosses and mechanical pets are completly banned in unwritten rules and is completly overlooked.
    Now for the question at hand; I think it is nice idea from a RP point; but it would require far to many restriction, since it would be used for spawning right at the raid entrance etc. and be exploited in all sorts of ways. So no, I personally don't see this is a viable thing
    That is as simple as having a lockout area for the spell. Fizzle zones are commonly used in WoW so the tech is already in place and would require a small team to implement after the heart spell was added.

  11. #11
    What he means is that he'd like an item that could port you to any spot, any where in the world that you've saved previously. Not inns, not with some npcs... just stand anywhere in the world you like, click the item and have it save that location in it. Use the item after that to go back to that place from anywhere else.

    I used to play a MUD with a similar spell. Except on reboots of the server it would clear the ability so you couldn't automatically zap to rare items and get them for yourself.

    I don't really see the need for it though. You can get anywhere in the room pretty fast as is. It'd be nice I guess but I don't see it really needed.

  12. #12
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,414
    I do like th eidea, but it might present a lot of technical issues that must be overcome... because it might conflict with the world when it changes. Having a limited set of hearthpoints like the current inns makes it manageable, but say Blizzard wanted to change the world or parts of it, then the hearthpoints might become inaccessible or at least be in a position where they would not want you to go.
    For instance say you'd have your hearthpoint at the bottom of Dalaran crater, then with patch x they decide to return Dalaran or just fill up the crater. Hearthing there might get you underground, perhaps unable to move or even be able to clip through parts of the world where you would be able to find shortcuts or glitches that might assist you in some way.
    By having only inns they can manage those better because there are only a few inns as opposed to an almost infinite number of positions if you could choose. Though I like it, I think it might be hard to implement safely really. Perhaps a reset with every patch would fix that, so that you would have no location stored any longer.... but still...

    Besides that, they would probably need to block a lot of areas too, like raid or dungeon instances, and possibly more.

  13. #13
    The Patient GameFreakRPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Twisting Netherlands
    Posts
    320
    Why would you want a second Hearthstone? Why not allow the original one to be bound anywhere?
    And seeing as you could easily come up with a dozen ways this would improve the experience, please give me three (keep in mind that having to travel is part of an MMO).

    Thanks Quosk1867, for the amazing sig! <3

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk Agent Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    1,806
    Anyways for the matter at hand I would change it as followed.

    It would have to use the base hearthstone. The hearthstone would now be able to be changed to the building of your choosing except for some restricted areas. Meaning that the individual would have to travel there first to set it and wouldn't have the benefit of another teleport. Houses will have a node to attune your hearthstone to or it will now be a spell to set it.

    If role players are using this as a home of sorts it should be their main hearth.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 05:16 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by GameFreakRPG View Post
    Why would you want a second Hearthstone? Why not allow the original one to be bound anywhere?
    And seeing as you could easily come up with a dozen ways this would improve the experience, please give me three (keep in mind that having to travel is part of an MMO).
    You can't say that about travel or why would we have one in the first place.

    It basically comes down to ease of access and time. Both reasons for the hearthstone in the first place.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    2,545
    Even if Sunsong Ranch is supposed to be your "home", i support this idea.
    However, to avoid too easy traveling (which already is very easy) they should set the original Stone to 25-30 minutes.

  16. #16
    There isn't one place in Azeroth that takes more than a few minutes to travel to. Seriously, I'm scratching my head here trying to think of any one spot in the game that takes a level 90 more than five minutes to travel to. With that fact in mind I don't see how a second HS would bring much more to RPers than they already have.

  17. #17
    Floating island in Nag here i Come!!!!! love this idea

  18. #18
    Pandaren Monk Agent Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    I do like th eidea, but it might present a lot of technical issues that must be overcome... because it might conflict with the world when it changes. Having a limited set of hearthpoints like the current inns makes it manageable, but say Blizzard wanted to change the world or parts of it, then the hearthpoints might become inaccessible or at least be in a position where they would not want you to go.
    For instance say you'd have your hearthpoint at the bottom of Dalaran crater, then with patch x they decide to return Dalaran or just fill up the crater. Hearthing there might get you underground, perhaps unable to move or even be able to clip through parts of the world where you would be able to find shortcuts or glitches that might assist you in some way.
    By having only inns they can manage those better because there are only a few inns as opposed to an almost infinite number of positions if you could choose. Though I like it, I think it might be hard to implement safely really. Perhaps a reset with every patch would fix that, so that you would have no location stored any longer.... but still...

    Besides that, they would probably need to block a lot of areas too, like raid or dungeon instances, and possibly more.
    This has happened before and the hearth just moves back to your main city. And as stated it would have fizzle zones which are already in place for other spells.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 05:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    There isn't one place in Azeroth that takes more than a few minutes to travel to. Seriously, I'm scratching my head here trying to think of any one spot in the game that takes a level 90 more than five minutes to travel to. With that fact in mind I don't see how a second HS would bring much more to RPers than they already have.
    Do you use your original hearthstone? Then your point is moot.
    People without max flying also RP.
    And there are plenty of places that take far more than five minutes to reach.

  19. #19
    i think blizzard are running out of ways to make this game more convenient as it is. rp reasons or not, i vote no. where can't you fly to in less than a few minutes? you're already playing an mmo so you clearly have time to spare
    you wanted the best? well they didn't make it. so here's what you get

  20. #20
    Bloodsail Admiral sugarlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    1,018
    I like the idea! As for now, I used to use these for a second hearth stone; Ruby Slippers

    And I think ANY location is a good idea too :)

    EDIT- nm, I see that the shoes go to the same place @ a hearthstone is set. Well shit, as a mage I use ports so often I guess I didn't realize they were unable to be set to a different Inn. :( poop

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •