The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Seems like my tank is getting trucked and im a baddie.

Jalak shouts one shot me in TOT.

Frost king burtalizes me.

And don't get me started on MEg

Been doing alt runs with a decent raiding guild after being kicked from a small grp for "not knowing how to play" Seems like my playing performance has gone down since.

is it in the gear?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Bigzo/simple

Any tips?

do you use your mitigation buttons? gear looks decent to me.
    do you play in defenstive stance?

Deleted
    Do you have any logs ?
    Cause you def dont get oneshotted that easily, maybe while tanking horridon + jalak while soaking a swipe ? :s

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding your survivability, I cannot see any flaws with your gear. I´d change some speccs perhaps, but non of them would boost your survivability. Logs would help a lot. Are you informed well about Shieldblock and Shieldbarrier Mitigation? Everything circles around those two when it comes to tanking.

Your gear is not right. You are missing two enchants. Your gems and reforges are off. Put stamina gems in every blue socket/prismatic socket you have. Also you should be able to reforge to the hit cap and hard expertise cap with your gear if you are going for that.

Would need logs to look at anything else.

in gear similar to yours i off spec tanked jinrok, council and durumu to twins
    if your dying the issue is either your healers are bad or you are just bad at keeping shield block up

Deleted
    Pop a major cooldown for frigid assault, disarm Jalak and use barrier over block on his later shouts. But if you want more specific tips your armory won't help at all (unless you only tend wear green items "of the whale"), the difference between gemming/gearing x or y is just minuscule - give us logs (enchant your gear won't hurt, though. And get rid of that colossus enchant, it's just super bad).

What you can think about: do you already use all your global cooldowns? You should be spamming your buttons like a madmen, 1 action per gcd & 40 actions per minute and not less Always shield slamming and revenge when those light up, else devastate (thunderclap only when the tank debuff tends to run out). Shout when you need the rage for active mitigation rather soon, Dragonroar+bloodbath is a fine button for some big numbers but not desired for you survivability.

Ps: Don't use heroic strike unless it's a ultimatum procc, it's no Cata any longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    It honestly seems as though it takes me some time to get enough rage for shield block so I am struggling to get that up much less consistently (unless shout and berserker rage is off of CD)and my snap aoe threat for add pickup is slow. Don't have any logs though. It is only an alt run but it seems like ever since I got kicked from my previous raid grp that was struggling in HOF i just haven't been the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    It honestly seems as though it takes me some time to get enough rage for shield block so I am struggling to get that up much less consistently (unless shout and berserker rage is off of CD)and my snap aoe threat for add pickup is slow. Don't have any logs though. It is only an alt run but it seems like ever since I got kicked from my previous raid grp that was struggling in HOF i just haven't been the same.
    Make sure you cap hit(7.5%) and exp(15%)
    Hit shieldslam, Shieldslam procs (SnB), Revenge, shouts, when on cd, hit devastate to fish for snb procs, to maximize rage.

Heroic leap, thunderclap, shockwave/dragon roar for aoe snap aggro.

If you log a LFR and post it here or in a PM ill be happy to take a look and help out
    (If you haven't, i really recommend reading up on the prot sticky guide again, tons of valuable information)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Make sure you cap hit(7.5%) and exp(15%)
    Hit shieldslam, Shieldslam procs (SnB), Revenge, shouts, when on cd, hit devastate to fish for snb procs, to maximize rage.

Heroic leap, thunderclap, shockwave/dragon roar for aoe snap aggro.

If you log a LFR and post it here or in a PM ill be happy to take a look and help out
    (If you haven't, i really recommend reading up on the prot sticky guide again, tons of valuable information)
    How do you get a logs going?

Deleted
    Go to http://www.worldoflogs.com/
    Download the java client, configure it towards your wow\logs folder.
    Just after you enter a LFR type /combatlog
    It will say something along, combat being logging bla bla :P
    After you killed the bosses, just open the client, click upload log twice, it will automatically open the website, copy paste the url.
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-05-27 at 04:49 PM.

The bosses abilities this tier are are tied very heavily to the active mitigation doctrine. Add to this the fact that the effective benefit of our two active mitigation abilities vary drastically against different boss abilities and you have a tier where knowledge and micromanagement are key to tank survival.

For example...

When tanking Tortos maximizing shield block is actually detrimental, you want to have it up for each bite. You also want to be watching you boss mod timers to align stronger cool downs with a stomp.

Switch to Horidon or Ji-Kun you want to be running a cool down for triple puncture and talon rake but the cool down you want to use is not shield block. These abilities cannot be blocked so shield block provides 0 protection. So you want to use shield barrier however you still want to have as much up time on shield block outside those required shield barriers.

Generally you want to use shield block for general tank damage outside of the need for cool downs but that is not even always the case. If you find yourself tanking the red hydra with high stacks of the dot than chances are shield barrier is going to provide better protection than shield block.

To summarize, with your gear level and normal mode encounters survivability should only be an issue if you are failing to use the correct abilities at the right time.

Deleted
    Eloquently and well put dodonpachi, although I would argue the Magaera thing, in terms of total damage reduction you are absolutely right however in terms of healability the DoT is extremely predictable and the burst is from the melee swings which is what you need to smooth out
    I would strongly suggest putting logs up for us

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    + 1 Internets to Dodonpachi.
    I´d like to add, that you will most likely get a feeling for each boss you wipe on regarding the usage of Cooldowns and Mitigation. Right after a few pulls you will simply know how many Shieldblocks you can use to still have 60 rage for a neat shieldbarrier. You will know when to to use Demoshout on Ji-kun to mitigate some hits, boost your ragebuilding via t15 4p bonus and still have it running for 2 or 3 seconds when Talon Rake hits. As long as you have maxed out Hit and Expertise, using Mitigation to the best quickly (should) become a question of repitition. That is because of the predictability of your rage generation and of boss abilities. The only thing required of you as a tank is awareness and knowledge about how your abilities work. May sound not like much, but as always it is easy to learn - hard to master.

Quote Originally Posted by dodonpachi View Post
    When tanking Tortos maximizing shield block is actually detrimental, you want to have it up for each bite. You also want to be watching you boss mod timers to align stronger cool downs with a stomp.
    It's entirely possible to maximize shield block on tortos though without ever eating an unmitigated bite. If you would, that's where cooldowns come in (and I would say that you should always barrier stomps).

Switch to Horidon or Ji-Kun you want to be running a cool down for triple puncture and talon rake but the cool down you want to use is not shield block. These abilities cannot be blocked so shield block provides 0 protection. So you want to use shield barrier however you still want to have as much up time on shield block outside those required shield barriers.
    You can't block triple puncture but you can block talon rake. Blocking talon rake is a pretty big deal, it's what makes warriors so good on that fight.

on a side note, I hate the tank meta shift from damage taken -> damage done now. Sure it's fun to put up big numbers, but I feel like most tanks never check their damage taken anymore as long as they live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dodonpachi View Post
    Switch to Horidon or Ji-Kun you want to be running a cool down for triple puncture and talon rake but the cool down you want to use is not shield block. These abilities cannot be blocked so shield block provides 0 protection.
    Talon rake is blockable afaik
    Edit, dawnrage beat me to it.