Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Roleplaying - as non-Pandaren Shado-Pan member.

    So I want to be a member of Shado-Pan Monastery...
    Can you help me anwser few qestions?

    1. Shado-Pan's do not like outsiders (most of them) how to act?
    2. Being a Troll Monk (combaining my martial arts with Voodoo magic) with what kind of duties would I be able to cope with?
    3. Do I require any kind of training? Initiation event to be completed?
    4. What's Shado-Pan's view on Sha in general? (I know its a bad one)
    but
    I want to make a mixture of empowering and forcing these ancient powers to do my bidding... (sort of mastering it)
    something like below:

    would they accept me in their ranks?
    Last edited by Hoodacz; 2013-05-27 at 11:51 AM.
    Woop Woop Woop...

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Mengucekli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where i lay my head is home..
    Posts
    581
    I don't know about your other questions but, "mastering sha" seems off to me. As far as i know, sha are somewhat related to old gods which makes it extremely corrupting. I don't think that would be okay, but this is just my opinion.

  3. #3
    The Shado-Pan's primary purpose is to defend Pandaria from the Sha. To gain Sha powers is to allow them to gain strength through (and usually, over) you. This is extremely counter-intuitive to their purpose and is in fact essentially impossible without the Divine Bell or some other similar ancient artifact, though the Bell seems to be the only one discovered thus far.

    So no, that one at least is impossible and the Shado-Pan would never allow someone who willingly uses Sha magic to join their ranks.

    You probably would need to undergo an initiation if you did join and your duties would be the same as any other Shado-Pan of your rank... but I'm not sure if they let any non-pandaren join in the first place. They are an order whos sole purpose is to defend Pandaria from internal and external threats. At best, your character would probably have to denounce all ties to his people and the Horde in order to be able to join and you would have to stay on Pandaria.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-05-27 at 05:13 PM.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire Number Eighteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Constructing additional pylons.
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    1. Shado-Pan's do not like outsiders (most of them) how to act?
    That's obvious, and with the on-going conflict I doubt they'd be willing to let an outsider join them. I think it should remain a solely-Pandaren run organisation. It's not the Argent Crusade or Earthen Ring y'know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    2. Being a Troll Monk (combaining my martial arts with Voodoo magic) with what kind of duties would I be able to cope with?
    Not every Troll utilizes the powers of Voodoo. Only Witch Doctors and Hexxers utilize this, Monks have their own set of skills. Provided number 1 gets ignored...well, they'd probably send you to the Isle of Thunder to assault the Thunder King, or some outpost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    3. Do I require any kind of training? Initiation event to be completed?
    In my eyes, you shouldn't even join the Shado-Pan as a non-Pandaren. But you'd probably be sent to the Monastery for initial training.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    4. What's Shado-Pan's view on Sha in general? (I know its a bad one)
    but
    I want to make a mixture of empowering and forcing these ancient powers to do my bidding... (sort of mastering it)
    something like below:
    Yeaaaah...No. You'd get yourself booted out instantly (if not killed) if you try to use the Sha as a tool of power. They don't like that and they won't appreciate one of their own to be doing it. All the ones that use the Sha for empowerment lost themselves to it - don't try to be a snowflake and retain your sanity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    would they accept me in their ranks?
    I honnestly hope not, the Shado-Pan are a pretty badass organisation but I think they should remain inaccessible to other races save for Pandaren. This shouldn't become a faction like the Argent Crusade on some servers...

  5. #5
    Using any sort of Sha energies might just be the best way to Taoshi's (dagger in your) heart.

  6. #6
    Epic! Ealyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,725
    They will probably kill you rather than let you join them.

  7. #7
    Field Marshal Rathnor The Flesher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The Eye of Terror
    Posts
    96
    Bring food and booze. It'll be a shoe-in.

  8. #8
    The Shado-Pan do not allow outsiders into their ranks, full stop. The training is designed to kill you, and very few live past the first test. Even in some weird twist of fate that a Troll was accepted into the Pandaren Ninja Club, you would be executed on the spot for trying to harness the sha.

  9. #9
    I'm pretty sure the Shado-pan begin training their members as children. So, even if they do accept other races(which I don't think they do) a troll wouldn't be allowed to become a member. Golden Lotus on the other hand definitely accepts members of other races, but also as children.

  10. #10
    At the end of the Shado-pan exalted quest, you are inducted as a member of the order. I was under the impression that this was a one-time thing that came with a lot of honour and stuff.

  11. #11
    I was going to say, lol. You become a member at the end of the exalted questline so all the NO THE SHADO-PAN WOULD NEVER LET ANOTHER RACE JOIN posts are all wrong.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ImportantLoreInformation View Post
    I was going to say, lol. You become a member at the end of the exalted questline so all the NO THE SHADO-PAN WOULD NEVER LET ANOTHER RACE JOIN posts are all wrong.
    In roleplaying, there is an additional requirement, typically speaking, other than whether something is possible within the lore: whether something is plausible within lore.

    As I've said, the likelihood of the Shado-Pan letting an average troll into their ranks seems very low indeed, especially if you consider the kind of things that the player has to do to get their respect. Again there'd also be further ramifications for that character, like for starters taking their vow, which would conflict with any vow you had made previously to the Horde. You'd also have to probably cut ties with your people, as your vow forces you to be a guardian of Pandaria.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    In roleplaying, there is an additional requirement, typically speaking, other than whether something is possible within the lore: whether something is plausible within lore.

    As I've said, the likelihood of the Shado-Pan letting an average troll into their ranks seems very low indeed, especially if you consider the kind of things that the player has to do to get their respect. Again there'd also be further ramifications for that character, like for starters taking their vow, which would conflict with any vow you had made previously to the Horde. You'd also have to probably cut ties with your people, as your vow forces you to be a guardian of Pandaria.
    Not hardly.

    If the Pandaren allow a member of another race to join via exalted reputation, then that's an open source to write backstory for yourself to explain it with your new character.

    Sure; it has to be better than "ONE DAY MY TROLL DEATHXKILL WENT TO PANDARIA AND DID A FLIP AND TARAN ZOO THOUGHT IT WAS COOL SO HE MADE ME A PANDAREN ASSASSIN AND TOUSHI IS MY GIRLFRIEND I FUCK HER ALL DAY", but it can still be written easily with enough careful tact to make the story plausible and believable.

    There's also the fact his character could go through the quests and "actually" become a member.

    And who says he has to throw off all ties to the Horde? He could be an "ambassador" or work with both factions to help each of them meet mutual goals together, or he could RP as a troll who really has thrown off ties with the Horde.

    I don't see any point at all in your argument that this couldn't work for some reason.

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral KunkkaTheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Seventyseven sea's.
    Posts
    1,003
    Really? You want to be a Shado-Pan Member while dabbling with Sha powers? You will get killed instantly, nothing else.

    If you think you wanna RP as a Shado-Pan Member, enjoy staying in Pandaria for the rest of your trolls life, they don't leave pandaria.
    Secondly you have to impress them a shit ton, to even be considered, the character ingame is one of the few fuckin heros of Azeroth, of course he is accepted.
    "Why do we fight? To protect home and family, to preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is, what is worth fighting for?"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Really? You want to be a Shado-Pan Member while dabbling with Sha powers? You will get killed instantly, nothing else.

    If you think you wanna RP as a Shado-Pan Member, enjoy staying in Pandaria for the rest of your trolls life, they don't leave pandaria.
    Secondly you have to impress them a shit ton, to even be considered, the character ingame is one of the few fuckin heros of Azeroth, of course he is accepted.
    There's no reason he can't leave Pandaria. Taran Zhu himself is in Orgrimmar.

    And as a player character, he falls under "one of the few fuckin heroes of Azeroth, of course he is accepted".

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ImportantLoreInformation View Post
    Not hardly.

    If the Pandaren allow a member of another race to join via exalted reputation, then that's an open source to write backstory for yourself to explain it with your new character.

    Sure; it has to be better than "ONE DAY MY TROLL DEATHXKILL WENT TO PANDARIA AND DID A FLIP AND TARAN ZOO THOUGHT IT WAS COOL SO HE MADE ME A PANDAREN ASSASSIN AND TOUSHI IS MY GIRLFRIEND I FUCK HER ALL DAY", but it can still be written easily with enough careful tact to make the story plausible and believable.
    You can do that with a lot of different topics. That doesn't mean they aren't taboo nor realistic for a member of the sea of faces.

    There's also the fact his character could go through the quests and "actually" become a member.
    That's really irrelevant. It's gameplay, not lore. Realistically not very many Alliance or Horde would get in that deep with the Shado-Pan.

    And who says he has to throw off all ties to the Horde? He could be an "ambassador" or work with both factions to help each of them meet mutual goals together, or he could RP as a troll who really has thrown off ties with the Horde.
    You take an oath to defend Pandaria. That means at any time you would be recalled there and you would be honor-bound to do so. If you took an oath to the Horde to defend it, then you have a clash of interests. You couldn't realistically honor both of them without shirking your duties to one or both groups. Thus, you wouldn't realistically be able to be a part of the Horde as an active member if one became a Shado-Pan.

    I don't see any point at all in your argument that this couldn't work for some reason.
    It's because I'm not talking possible, I'm talking plausible. Is it likely that a member of the sea of faces could become a member of a relatively small, elite group of pandaren, who's leader has respect for but a few outsiders?

    I'd say not. It's not realistic for a troll to be a part of the Shado-pan. To have helped? Probably. To have worked alongside them? Maybe. But be an actual official member? Not really.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImportantLoreInformation View Post
    There's no reason he can't leave Pandaria. Taran Zhu himself is in Orgrimmar.
    It's not about leaving Pandaria. It's about your duty to her. Taran Zhu isn't going to be staying in Kalimdor indefinitely. He's duty-bound to return to Pandaria. This troll would have that same responsibility

    And as a player character, he falls under "one of the few fuckin heroes of Azeroth, of course he is accepted".
    No, no he isn't. A roleplaying character is in a different league than the avatar we directly control and perceive events through. The player avatar is far too outlandish to be a good RP character. They do too much, are in too many unique circumstances.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-10-26 at 06:13 PM.

  17. #17
    Okay this is just going in circles and you refuse to not be wrong, so I'm only leaving one last collection of thoughts to sum up my points before leaving you to whatever shattered reality you prefer to keep your mind in.

    Point A: "The Shado-pan are duty bound to return to Pandaria/never leave it"

    As we've established just now, they CAN leave it, they're just bound to return and protect it. This is a minor hurdle that can be 'jumped over' in a few ways.

    First of all you could be, as I said, some sort of ambassador or "outside agent". The Shado-pan want to protect Pandaria and realize that they need to have ears and eyes all over the world to watch for potential dangers to the mother land, and therefore enroll and deploy away agents to scout across the world, something a Troll would be wonderful for because they're not a Pandaren and therefore have slightly less 'honor bound blood' to stay on the island AND they've already been across much of the world and would be the perfect candidate for the job. This is not by any means a stretch of lore or character and would suit the purpose JUST FINE.

    If not that, then you could say your character just ventures out now and again to scout across the outside lands, but mostly returns back to Pandaria for the good part of his duties.

    Point B: "Outside races would never be allowed to be Pandaren"

    We've just debunked this. There's nothing wrong with his character finding his way to be an official Shado-pan member as long as it's done tactfully and with good taste and isn't just "he's cool and beats people up so he's a shado-pan man now."

    Point C: "The player character CAN'T be your role player character!"

    Sure it can. It might not be a credible OC creation to say "Yes, all the achievements my actual player account has are all my character's lorical achievements", but you could still be your character, and discount stuff like "He is the one who lorically killed Arthas". He's still a hero of Azeroth, or he can choose to be, at least. Again this is something best handled with care, thought and tact, but it's not impossible or going too far.

    In closing; it's perfectly fine for him to be a Shado-pan agent running across the world, as long as, again, he's within reasonable boundaries with the character but then again it's his RP so who gives a fuck what you or anyone else thinks? He can, at the end of the day, do whatever he wants.

    I'd say the whole "controlling the Sha" thing is a little too 'out there'. I'm not saying it's impossible to Roleplay, but that's kind of like saying "My character is actually a super saiyan". It's just kind of breaking too many restraints that makes decent RP decent.
    Last edited by ImportantLoreInformation; 2013-10-26 at 06:16 PM.

  18. #18
    the shado pan only accepts children. if you want to join the shado pan you have to be inducted into it as a child.

    theres no possible way to roleplay as a member of the shado pan as a non pandaren for many more expansions
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ImportantLoreInformation View Post
    Okay this is just going in circles and you refuse to not be wrong, so I'm only leaving one last collection of thoughts to sum up my points before leaving you to whatever shattered reality you prefer to keep your mind in.
    You've yet to point out why I'm wrong. I've given examples as to why this isn't a realistic character. You simply say "nope, not true." for the vast majority of points. Add in the fact that you ignore or misinterpret my points to try and say they're incorrect and there's very little reason for me to acquiesce to your insistence that I am incorrect.

    Point A: "The Shado-pan are duty bound to return to Pandaria/never leave it"

    As we've established just now, they CAN leave it, they're just bound to return and protect it. This is a minor hurdle that can be 'jumped over' in a few ways.

    First of all you could be, as I said, some sort of ambassador or "outside agent". The Shado-pan want to protect Pandaria and realize that they need to have ears and eyes all over the world to watch for potential dangers to the mother land, and therefore enroll and deploy away agents to scout across the world, something a Troll would be wonderful for because they're not a Pandaren and therefore have slightly less 'honor bound blood' to stay on the island AND they've already been across much of the world and would be the perfect candidate for the job. This is not by any means a stretch of lore or character and would suit the purpose JUST FINE.

    If not that, then you could say your character just ventures out now and again to scout across the outside lands, but mostly returns back to Pandaria for the good part of his duties.
    Why would they need to employ outsiders to do this? Why not pandaren that they've trained for years? What's the benefit if the Horde and Alliance already respect pandaren and the Shado-Pan?

    If they give the pandaren the job to act as ambassadors or scouts, they'll do it. There's no relative degree of "honor bound blood" here. It's all the same.

    Again, it's not about possible, it's about plausible. Taran Zhu's not going to let in a lot of people. The Shado-Pan aren't a conventional army. At most, probably one or two outsiders of each race.

    If a pandaren can do basically the same job as a troll for this sort of mission and considering the nature of the organization, how likely is it that THIS guy's going to get that job?

    There's no real difference between this and claiming that you've killed Arthas or Deathwing or any other named boss. You have a limited number of spots and an obvious bias towards one race in particular. How likely is it that your character out of the hundreds of thousands to millions would have that spot? Not very.

    Point B: "Outside races would never be allowed to be Pandaren"

    We've just debunked this. There's nothing wrong with his character finding his way to be an official Shado-pan member as long as it's done tactfully and with good taste and isn't just "he's cool and beats people up so he's a shado-pan man now."
    That isn't a point of mine. My point is that realistically a non-pandaren would find it extremely unlikely to join the Shado-Pan considering the organization's size and biases.

    You wanna debunk that, prove to me that it's realistic. Possible is not the same as plausible. It's possible that I could make a demon hunter that people might actually like or let into a town or city. Is that plausible? Hell no. Basically everyone hates or is wary of demon hunters. If I made a demon hunter he would barely be allowed to get some supplies from a town and the idea that he would be allowed into a dense population center like a city is outright laughable.

    Point C: "The player character CAN'T be your role player character!"

    Sure it can. It might not be a credible OC creation to say "Yes, all the achievements my actual player account has are all my character's lorical achievements", but you could still be your character, and discount stuff like "He is the one who lorically killed Arthas".
    I'd argue that the "killed arthas" stuff applies to FAR more aspects of the story you experience than you might realize. Being Vol'jin's confidant in 5.1... being the savior of Hyjal... saving that man in Icecrown Glacier... there are a lot of unique or unique-enough plotlines that you personally experience to make the player avatar an okay RP character. In fact, most of what you experience can't directly be used. It's the nature of the story-telling medium, tragically.

    In closing; it's perfectly fine for him to be a Shado-pan agent running across the world, as long as, again, he's within reasonable boundaries with the character but then again it's his RP so who gives a fuck what you or anyone else thinks? He can, at the end of the day, do whatever he wants.
    You come for advice, you get advice. I'm saying it isn't a plausible character concept because of the limited nature of the position and the biases of the organization. Simply by the standards of the community which I work with.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-10-26 at 09:05 PM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the shado pan only accepts children. if you want to join the shado pan you have to be inducted into it as a child.

    theres no possible way to roleplay as a member of the shado pan as a non pandaren for many more expansions
    A: You write in you were, in fact, chosen at birth somehow (a bit of a stretch but it could be doable)

    B: You were simply a unique case. The Shado-pan have already proven that people can be inducted into their order despite not being raised into and not being pandaren.

    Do people even try using their brains anymore?

    - - - Updated - - -

    At the mad god-

    I didn't read much of your post (because it's a bad post), and I merely skimmed it.

    When I said "you're not the one who lorically killed Arthas", I meant exactly that. Your roleplaying character didn't do any of the major achievements your player avatar did. I was OBVIOUSLY not just speaking of Arthas.

    If you're going to sit there and whine and nit-pick every little nuance as to why a character just CAN'T work, then I have no more to say to you. You're clearly upset I have presented a perfectly reasonable and plausible backstory and you're just going nanners, saying "NO IT CAN'T WORK WHY WOULDN'T THE PANDAREN JUST SEND OUT SOME OF THEIR OWN NO NO NO NO IT'S NOT POSSIBLE" and that's getting nobody anywhere. We get it, you're mad that someone is doing something you don't like regardless of whether or not it's plausible.

    Also, just because you come for advice doesn't mean you're somehow locked into following it. I dunno what kind of mindset that is to have, but it's a pretty bad one. Good luck with it, I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •