Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Accepting advice in LFD / LFR

If you are in a dungeon, or an LFR run, and someone who clearly knows what they are doing offers to help you with advice to make your tanking better / dps higher / heals more efficient, would you not accept that advice?

Ive seen too many times where people simply dismiss other players offering to help them get better. Why do people feel the need to be dismissive towards other players only trying to help them improve? Is it pride? Is it arrogance?

People should be falling on the ground worshiping players who have figured out the game and how to excel in it, shouldnt they? Especially if they are looking to improve and get all the shiny gear / mounts / titles that the better players have. So why be dismissive and not want to accept the help someone tries to offer even if it is in an LFD environment?

Infracted [Trolling]: Exaggeration or not, suggesting people fall on the ground to worship other players is out of bounds [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-06-10 at 08:39 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Worshiping players? Fuck that is all I'm going to say hell I'd make fun of you pretty hard if I think you're trying to be amazing when your truly not in terms of trying to impress others.

Deleted
    I think worshipping goes a bit far lol, but yes, I will accept advice if I feel it is both valid and put across in a nice way.

Although I would kill to have players offer advice more in the first place, most of the time you just get people raging and shouting at each other with no useful information given what so ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, I've seen more of what Vellerix is pointing out--people at the middle of the Overall meter raging at the group for being bad--than I do supposedly magnanimous Heroic raiders slumming in LFR to dispense their knowledge and wait for all the poor, unenlightened casual peons to drop on their knees, open their mouths, and wait for a mouthful of wisdom like you seem to think either does or should happen, Jay.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Some people play this game to have fun. If spamming X and doing low damage is fun to them they will keep doing it.
    Some people ignore advice regardless of your intent
    Some people will accept it and thank you.
    Some people will bitch at you, who are you to tell them how to play the game.

If the person offers me advice is a nice calm manner, I will be more than happy to accept it. If the person is abusive and demanding and an asshole, I more than likely won't listen.

I don't know about worshipping them, but they should at least say thanks, I might try that (even if they don't).
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

If you sat there with no addon to track your dps, just playing for fun on the char you like playing....Would you accept help from someone jumping out saying you are doing thigns wrong, how you could be so much better and that you really could improve a lot, would you accept it? Not everyone is actually playing to be good, but just to play. Horrifying, I know
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A stranger offering me advice? Aren't you supposed to buy a girl dinner first?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    Worshiping players? Fuck that is all I'm going to say hell I'd make fun of you pretty hard if I think you're trying to be amazing when your truly not in terms of trying to impress others.
    Worshiping was obviously a little exaggeration, but you seem to not be able to decipher that and take everything literally. Fine, i can work with that.

What I mean is, if you are in an LFR or LFD dungeon, and you are pulling below normal dps for the gear you are wearing.. would you not jump on any information that would help you improve your dps?

If you would be unwilling to accept advice to improve, then why are you playing in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've helped tanks in LFD with their rotations when they were struggling to keep aggro.

The game doesn't do a very good job of teaching people how to play. Blizzard has always relied on the community to do it. But there's a toxic attitude when people receive unsolicited advice.

Dismissing the exaggeration in the OP, I think there's a place for offering advice in LFR/LFD. The few times I offered advice, I did it via whispers so the person wouldn't feel like he was being called out in front of everyone. I noticed that his itemization was really off so I just mentioned that there were other gearing options which might help him improve his performance and pointed him towards some good resources. He had a few questions so we had a brief back and forth where I answered his questions and that was pretty much it.

I made sure not to come off firing right away just in case he wasn't interested in what I was going to say. He seemed open to discuss it so I continued the conversation. Not everyone is open to criticism (constructive or not) nor should they have to be, so I try to use my best judgment when talking to others about stuff like this. I would consider myself a hardcore player, but that doesn't give me any right to speak down on anyone and i'm certainly not an ambassador for my class.

Unsolicited advice is the same as unsolicited feedback: intrusive douchebaggery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

If you would be unwilling to accept advice to improve, then why are you playing in the first place?
    there is a time and a place for everything. of course self righteous players obviously think they are great or something, when in reality they are far from it. its a game, not a job. not everybody wants to go pro. people just want to have fun with friends.

if you think you need to be a mentor or something, i suggest finding a guildie that actually WANTS your advice, instead of thrusting it onto random players in a dungeon who, for all we know, might have real life things happening that they are trying to deal with.

in short T~A~C~T.. TACT. learn to be tactful. discuss these "improvements" in whisper. or ask if they would like advice in the first place. if not, then dont worry your pretty little head with them, finish the dungeon and go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I've helped tanks in LFD with their rotations when they were struggling to keep aggro.

The game doesn't do a very good job of teaching people how to play. Blizzard has always relied on the community to do it. But there's a toxic attitude when people receive unsolicited advice.
    Aquamonkey brings up a very good point, people just aren't taught to play properly, it's easy to say go and read up online and look at guides, players like you and me will do this, but alot of players who are new to the MMO scene just aren't used to having to do research to play a game, it won't have crossed their minds, so there needs to be some more mechanics in place to teach newer players how to play as they level, I'm not sure what that could be.

If people give honest advice in a friendly manner, I'm sure they'd take it. 99% of the time in randoms it's some smart ass going on about how bad they are for 5 minutes before they offer any advice. Even then it's usually antagonistic and said in a demeaning way. So people have just tuned out everyone, no matter what they say.

10+ Year Old Account
    In response to your question in its entirety, Jay, I just went out and redid a couple talent choices after my first run in Terrace of Endless Springs on my warrior (after switching mains) on another's advice. My DPS saw a decent jump, but nothing that's going to have me topping the meters on my mostly-blue-geared warrior. The warrior in question was polite and respectful when he saw my talent choices and made suggestions--"I see you've got Derple. Right now, Blahdeblah is doing better overall, you'll probably see your DPS go up if you give it a shot." On the flip side, reading LFR chat, the only times I see advice being handed out, by and large it's worded with hostility--"Dude you fucking suck, Derple is a shit talent that only retards take, go take Blahdeblah instead baddie."

How you hand out advice matters almost as much as whether or not the person you're advising is open to unsolicited advice to begin with. Some people simply don't want to be told they're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Thage; 2013-06-10 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Parenthesized a couple words so people didn't think I swapped mains instead of talents on someone's advice
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

As usual, Jaylock, you find yourself on the wrong side of the issue. I know enough from having read your numerous belligerent posts to understand the sort of negative activity you engage in in-game.

Firstly, you should ask politely if someone would mind SPECIFIC advice on an important matter that could help them. Also, this should never be done in party chat, but rather whispered so as not to cause discomfort to the player. This is basic social advice, really. I feel certain that you call people out in party chat, because I believe your intent is to badger people rather than help them. I have seen your other posts that support this.

Finally, your "falling on the ground worshiping..." comment reveals so many things about your attitude that any additional comment or reply is unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worshiping was obviously a little exaggeration, but you seem to not be able to decipher that and take everything literally. Fine, i can work with that.

What I mean is, if you are in an LFR or LFD dungeon, and you are pulling below normal dps for the gear you are wearing.. would you not jump on any information that would help you improve your dps?

All depends on how the advice is given. If someone whispers me that I could probably increase my dps if I keep a higher up time on X but usually advice in LFR is lousy and the people that give are usually quite rude ("ie would the f'ing mage stop AOEing, seriously are you stupid").

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    there is a time and a place for everything. of course self righteous players obviously think they are great or something, when in reality they are far from it. its a game, not a job. not everybody wants to go pro. people just want to have fun with friends.

if you think you need to be a mentor or something, i suggest finding a guildie that actually WANTS your advice, instead of thrusting it onto random players in a dungeon who, for all we know, might have real life things happening that they are trying to deal with.
    I don't doubt that there are people who want to give "advice" to inflate their e-peen, but there's also a community of people who just want to offer some friendly advice to improve other people's game experience.

For example, if you went to the batting cages and saw someone holding the bat upside down, I don't think it would be necessarily intruding to point out their mistake. If you go on to begin analyzing their swing and appoint yourself as their new hitting coach, that's crossing the line, but those are two very different scenarios.

If you don't pretend to know what you're doing, that means you admit to the group you don't know what you're doing, and the chance increases you'll get kicked. Not saying it isn't stupid, just that there might be a certain logic behind it other than "HERP DERP U SO WRONG". Ofc, if the majority of the population was intelligent, the bluff would be called and they'd get kicked anyways, but as you know... That's not the case.
    10 char req. - because explaining is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are in a dungeon, or an LFR run, and someone who clearly knows what they are doing offers to help you with advice to make your tanking better / dps higher / heals more efficient, would you not accept that advice?

Ive seen too many times where people simply dismiss other players offering to help them get better. Why do people feel the need to be dismissive towards other players only trying to help them improve? Is it pride? Is it arrogance?

People should be falling on the ground worshiping players who have figured out the game and how to excel in it, shouldnt they? Especially if they are looking to improve and get all the shiny gear / mounts / titles that the better players have. So why be dismissive and not want to accept the help someone tries to offer even if it is in an LFD environment?
    You, my friend, have a God complex.

Yep, you've read right. This is the Xth thread you've made on LFR and how this hypothetical person (we all know you mean to talk about your own damn self here) is so much better than the rest, and that people should worship Him and His elite skills.

Thing is... you're putting this act up in LFR, of all places! This is like a bottom-feeder NHL player claiming he's the best... in a pee-wee league!

Being a multiple-time, multiple discipline gold medalist in a special olympics event does NOT make someone a world-class athlete!
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman