Internet connectivity problems help please.

Ok so, I have a few computers in my house 2 desktops and 1 laptop along with a few cell phones. All works fine until I get on my desktop that is hardwired to my router, then the other devices in the house slow down a lot or just lose connection all together randomly going in and out. It is the only device wired directly to it and I have a link speed of 1gbs on it. The other computer gets about 50-60mbs from what I can tell.

This is the router I have: SurfBoard SBG6580

I just don't understand the problem. I have more then enough internet for all of the devices to run without D/Cing especially when no one is really doing much of anything. Like streaming, downloading and uploading. Like I said, everything is in order until I use the hardwired desktop that I'm typing this on.

Suggestions? Solutions? If more info is needed please ask.

Also, idk if it has anything with me playing games like GW2, WoW etc.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like either a firmware issue or hardware issue. Really the router portion shouldn't be much related to the access point. I would go in your settings on the router and attempt to update the firmware. If that doesn't work, I would swap it out. There is no normal reason that should happen.

If there is QoS (quality of service) set up, it could be favoring your desktop heavily which could be why everything else is slow. But that shouldn't make anything disconnect.
    If there is a device access limit, it could be kicking one phone off when another attempts to connect or something like that. But that shouldn't explain any "slowness."
    Neither of those should be enabled by default.

If it was older or lower quality, I would blame it on crappy hardware, but that model is newer and plenty powerful for a few laptops and phones. It's typically 10+ devices connecting where lower quality hardware starts to rear it's ugly head.

A machine should be able to connect to your access point regardless of "how much internet you have." Whether you have dial up or gigabit fiber, that has no effect on your machines actually connecting to your access point. You can disconnect your internet completely and all your devices should connect to your access point just fine.

I would definitely be looking for a firmware update or faulty hardware. I am assuming you have power cycled it as a troubleshooting step. And with a device like that, it can make a difference if you don't unplug it for the full 10-15 seconds. A quick power off-power on isn't good enough.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

Thanks for the reply. @krognam Yeah I really just don't know. And it seems to only happen when I play games like WoW GW2 etc. QoS isn't enabled either. I'll try things you told me but one thing I do know is when I diagnosed the problem on one of the other computers, it said something about it not being able to connect to the DNS server.

One other random thing, I have this computer set to 1.0gbs full duplex, do you know what the recommended setting would be?
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.