Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What should I be able to run?

Hi.
    Never posted on this section before so hope there isn't a thread like this already.. if so I sincerely apologise.
    Anyway.. to the point. I have a computer that I believe is under performing. I am computer smart... ish and would like to hear your opinion on what you think my computer is capable of. It is an old computer of my brothers that I've upgraded over the years so heres the specs.

Intel (R) Core 2 Duo. CPU E7300@ 2.66GHZ 2.67GHz
    4GB ram
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti ( G Card )

I have a 64-bit Windows 7 OS atm if that will make any difference. I hear it does but I've not researched it enough to know my shiz.

TY!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Its under performing because the hardware is old. Personal opinion, time for an upgrade (rig overhaul).
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

That processor is about five years old which is a major problem with WoW.

You should be able to see around 15-20fps on medium to low settings with that computer, but high settings is not gonna happen in 25man content. 10mans, solo questing and arenas should run at medium to high settings at playable speed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    My old system, which is currently hooked up behind me, is running an E7500 and GeForce 460. It runs wow... decently? I raided without issues on medium 10 man, but got the funds to upgrade.

Can it play wow decently? Sure. Will it play on high settings, or do 25m well? Newp.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    So what would a moderate upgrade be for my processor? Would love an i7 but don't see it happening. something within a paupers price range :P Motherboard and ram are just as old as the proccessor :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tserak View Post
    So what would a moderate upgrade be for my processor? Would love an i7 but don't see it happening. something within a paupers price range :P Motherboard and ram are just as old as the proccessor :/
    Your problem is that any meaningful CPU upgrade will require motherboard swap too which can also escalate into RAM swap.

All pauper options requires getting lucky with online auctions or trashbins of local computer stores.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    i hate my life

The problem is that even the fastest processor you can plug into the motherboard (maybe) is C2 Quad Q9650 that runs only about 20% faster than your current one. You might be able to find C2Q 8300/8400 CPUs really cheap used for that about 20% improvement. It's up to you if it's worth it. It's also not guaranteed your motherboard supports those higher end processors.

Getting a big upgrade with something like i5-3570k (2-4 times the fps you get now) will require new motherboard and maybe RAM, and be at least $300 operation.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    So any chance of a meaningful upgrade of CPU and Mboard for around £200-250 or am I being stupidly hopeful?

So any chance of a meaningful upgrade of CPU and Mboard for around £200-250 or am I being stupidly hopeful?
    If you're ok with not being able to overclock, then yes. Something like this will give 2-3x more speed to WoW.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...12&subcat=2517

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...12&subcat=2517

First one would be a massive upgrade since you've already got a decent enough gfx card, the second one would be the more ideal upgrade but it's a bit more than you're looking to spend.

I've used OCUK for many years and spent probably over £3,000 on the products they sell I highly recommend them.

Edit - here's another option if you want to support the red team :P
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...12&subcat=2513
    Last edited by mmocceaeb251f2; 2013-05-27 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Haha, Vesseblah and I had the same idea :)

It's a trap. 2500k overclock unlocked processor with H77 OC locked motherboard.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£42.12 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£48.96 @ Dabs)
    Total: £234.67
    You could push the budget by 20, and get a Z77 board which would allow you to get a 3570K

It might be worthwhile to wait a month and get a 4570 (Haswell) and Z85 board, once available, that way you could opt for a Z87 board and upgrade to a 4670K or 5670K (Broadwell?) down the road.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-05-27 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Had 1x8 ram instead of 2x4 by accident
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It's a trap. 2500k overclock unlocked processor with H77 OC locked motherboard.
    Didn't notice that :P
    Surprised they did that tbh!

Deleted
    you are all amazing thank you. Now I just have to persuade the missus that our lives depend on this :P

Deleted
    you are all amazing thank you. Now I just have to persuade the missus that our lives depend on this :P
    No worries, happy to help!

Claim that it's because of fire safety or something

Deleted
    Shit im sorry but what is K at the end of it? fuck I feel stupid but it has to be asked.. like 2500k.. yada yada

I'd say you should look at a website like systemrequirementslab.com, or something similiar. What it does is check your system specs, and compares that to the req and optimal spec requirements for a game, and based on that information it will tell if it runs smoothly, or its like a no go etc, if that is what you're looking for.

Deleted
    Shit im sorry but what is K at the end of it? fuck I feel stupid but it has to be asked..
    It means the CPU is unlocked, which will allow you to alter its clock speed in the BIOS if your motherboard supports it, ie overclocking.

Deleted
    Ahh ok that I understand. still a noob sorry.