10+ Year Old Account

What implies skill in pvp now?

As the title states what implies skill, as the pvp scene shifts a lot different classes pop up, skills get nerfed, adjusted, added, removed. People develop certain tactics and stick with them. People come up with comps that end up working well so what implies skill? A certain class? A certain comp? A certain play style? Me personally skill is someone that has played a class or spec through thick and thin and still excels at it.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    As the title states what implies skill, as the pvp scene shifts a lot different classes pop up, skills get nerfed, adjusted, added, removed. People develop certain tactics and stick with them. People come up with comps that end up working well so what implies skill? A certain class? A certain comp? A certain play style? Me personally skill is someone that has played a class or spec through thick and thin and still excels at it.
    It's hard to come up with a proper answer...
    WoW changes too drastically from patch to patch:P Making some comps more viable than others... (Utilizing oneanother)
    Something that looks totally fine atm... will be making you (literally pickin up soap from the floor) in next patch...

/10chars bitchez

15+ Year Old Account
    Skill can be quite hard to quantify IMO, some classes/specs are harder to play than others, I know back when I did a lot more PvP Enhancement Shamans were generally laughed at (much to my dismay as I loved them at the time) but there were a handful of players who had the skill and did very well with them. I think that suggests that if they can get say gladiator level with a spec that doesn't have an easy time of things - how much better would they then be if they played a class/spec that was considered better...

I could argue this next point both ways - people that can change classes and still do well, and people that stick with one class through thick and thin. I think what that comes down to is adaptability. Some people just have a knack for these things, in WoW PvP terms I think this kinda equates to spacial awareness in game - they know what is going on in the entire arena and don't just tunnel. If you can do that well it will be much quicker learning the nuances of a new class, or adapting to the changes in your current class after a game chaning patch - especially when your class has gone from being a OP powerhouse to a struggling mess over night =p

Deleted
    In wow the best skill is being a step ahead on the next fotm OP combo. Balance is so bad that going fotm combo usually works best

Playing ret/warr, and destroying everything that comes if your path. Thats skill.
    Healing your warrior friend as ret pala from 10% to 100% in 1 heal, thats skill.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    Playing ret/warr, and destroying everything that comes if your path. Thats skill.
    Healing your warrior friend as ret pala from 10% to 100% in 1 heal, thats skill.
    Yeah.. Because that actually happens.

Skill can't really be defined in that sort of way.
    I played Ret last season to 2250, does that make me more skillful than the hunters that played to the same rating because Ret was bad?
    Maybe.. But who knows.

Deleted
    All the whines about class balance. Always...

I would say that general knowledge and adaptation to the pvp scene is being skilled. To have a very good positioning, communicate well with team mates, sync your moves with partners, have eyes open to see what happens right now and what will come etc would be examples.

To maximise your class is also skilled of course, so you can apply pressure and keep it that way for a damage deal for example.

Deleted
    It is all about how many oneshot macros you have on your bars.

Playing the underdog and doing well. That is skill.
    RETH

People with High Warlord. /s

Real Answer: In my opinion, people who are skillful at PvP are people who are consistently reaching high ratings in Arena. I don't care much for RBG rating at all, if you're high in RBGs it could any number of a multitude of reasons. I can't just look at someone and say "you're good" or "you're bad", even if I watched them play for 5 minutes, because honestly everyone has off days or moments when they make stupid mistakes.

The reason that consistently reaching high rating is important is because it shows that they aren't just a FOTM player. If you consistently reach high ratings, patch after patch, season after season, even if you are reaching high ratings playing 'overpowered' comps, you definitely aren't doing it in the same comp. It shows you can adjust and play around different playstyles, and not just play a rush-down comp for high rating in one season and think you're the best.

Also, as Kipling touches on, awareness and communication are really what sets apart R1 players and the rest of us. Being able to not tunnel a single target, and communicate PROPER swaps with triple/cross CC is very skillful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    People who get constantly high ratings season after season

SKill in pvp has many aspect, Class knowledge, item optimisation Talking about reforge, gems, enchant), coordination and communication with partners and probably the biggest one, awareness.

Being able to be aware of what your ennemies have left on CDs and reacting to it before its used or as its used is probably the best form of skill.
    http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/97457-scissors is not a sword... or at least thats what my mom told me when I was 6.

If you consistently do well when you play, then you're a good player. I don't put any stock in ratings and things like that. Well, that's not fair to say. If someone has a high rating I assume they're good, but if someone has a low rating, I don't assume they're bad. Many people simply don't care or don't enjoy arena, and that doesn't make them good or bad. As far as sticking with classes or moving on with the patches, I definitely have more respect for the people who don't hop around to what's best. This genre doesn't require much mechanical skill compared to others, so class knowledge and general awareness are the most important aspects to being a skilled player.