Crusader Kings II

Heya. I've been looking at this game, and wondering if it's worth getting. It looks cool, and I enjoy games such as Medival II Total War, and this game is on sale on Steam right now, so I'm really tempted, but recently I've blown a lot of money on sub-par games and don't want to make any more risky purchases. Can anyone tell me about this game, the pros and cons, what might make me enjoy or dislike it, generally how good it is, etc?

Also, all the insanely numerous DLC's are on sale too. If I got this game, which ones should I get?

Thanks!

Edit: I don't actually know much about how this game works too; compared to total war, does it have similar city management in terms of setting taxes and maintaining public order and building stuff? Is there any of that at all in CK2? Is there any combat? (As in, are battles auto-resolved or do you get to fight them, and how good are they if so?)

Sorry for all the questions!
    Last edited by Migey; 2013-05-28 at 11:08 PM.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

If you go to Amazon right now they are selling the crusader kings II pack for 14.99. You get Crusader Kings 1 and 2 and around 21 DLCs or so for that price. All of it is redeemable on steam except the first Crusader Kings. I bought that pack. As for the gameplay, I'm still learning. The curve is high and I haven't really played anything like it, but for the price, I feel it's worth checking out. I think the sale is on till the end of the month.

But I don't want to spend money on it until I know more about the game. Can you please shed some light on this for me by answering some of the specific questions I asked?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Hard question to answer. My guess is.... maybe.

Crusader Kings II isn't for everyone. Paradox tends to make overly complex games, and CKII is no exception. It's a game where you really need the tutorial, as well as online suggestions, or else you'll be lost when you first play. If we're comparing it to the Total War series, it's much more in depth, has a strong focus on micromanagement and political relations, and has significantly less focus on warfare and provincial development. If you're into games with deep strategy and micromanagement, CKII might be your cup of tea. If you prefer games with a quick pace and conquest, CKII will probably disappoint.

My two cents, anyway.

There is no combat of any kind. At least nothing visual. It's all auto-resolved with the many variables factored in. The game is mostly about the territory management with sophisticated politics embedded in the game. Definitely look at some vids on youtube before making the purchase to see if the game is for you. It's a great game but for the very few IMO.

Think of total war games without their 3d battles (so mapmode only) but a thousand times more detailed and complicated , you may spend hours of playtime without war trying to have a cause to wage a war using intrigue , marriage , politics.If you want to have an oversized army and steamroll your way conquering eerything game is not for you.Also unlike total war games or other similar paradox games , ck2 is not a nation/country simulator , it is actually a dynasty simulator.

Also i have been playing the game for over a year and i am still discovering new stuff so it is a big commitment , but it has great playtime compared to its price especially if you are into history
    Last edited by Anaralah; 2013-05-28 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played it a fair bit, but as others have said there is a ton going on. If you like resource management/diplomacy though it's great!!

I would recommend this game. Spent about 600 hours on it before getting bored. I'd wait with buying DLCs, see if you like the game first. DLC's for CK2 for the most part are small graphical tweaks. There's a couple DLCs that allow you to play for republics or Muslims (so don't buy either if you aren't certain you're going to enjoy playing as such).
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

The combat in CK & other Paradox Entertainment games is soooooo different from Total War series though..that's one thing.

Other than that..you'll find lots of similarities/familiarity. Much more complex/immersive gameplay & dynamic strategic outcomes/choices in CK's than in M:TW's, but.. at the cost of suuuper boring combat compared to the visual feast of Total War's.
    >>> And then.. <<<

So this is looking like I'll make the purchase, but just to check, is there any sort of similar settlement management? As in do you have to regulate whats being built in a town/city and stuff? Like in Total War where building things like roads and docks increases trade, and you need certain buildings to train certain troops?

Also, if I buy it on steam, can I still get the mods for it? One of the things which made me look at the game was being told that it has a Westeros/Game of Thrones mod! Do I need to buy a physical/amazon copy to be able to get this with it?

In your Demnse (castles,citys,churches that you control directly) you can build loads of buildings which add stuff like income and fort/garrison size and army size you can raise. So yes plenty of building to do. You can buy the steam version and still use mods as i do, the Game Of Thrones Mod is fun and they are working on the new continent now, i also play The Prince And The Thane mod which adds even more depth to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that old gods is finally out, I am hell bent on resurrecting the sassanid empire!
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Now that old gods is finally out, I am hell bent on resurrecting the sassanid empire!
    You mean unify scandinavia under proper viking pagan rule, as it was always meant to be.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."