View Poll Results: Does WoW need more races?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

    106 54.36%
  • No!

    89 45.64%
Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778

    New races; Do we really need them?

    With speculation about the next expansion continuing to brew, I had a question for the forum;

    Does WoW need anymore races at this point?

    Using this site here;

    http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

    I realized that over 30% of players on the Alliance side play humans, while almost 30% of players on the Horde side play Blood Elves. The other remaining 6 races on each side were quite a bit lower. Of course almost 20% of the Alliance players also play as Night elves. So over 50% of Alliance players are either Humans or Elves, while almost 30% of Horde players are Blood elves. In contrast, the least populated Horde and Alliance races are Goblins (9%) and Pandaren (5%) and Dwarves (8%) and Pandaren (6%) respectively.

    The class distribution is far better. The top class is at 12%, while the bottom class is at 5%. This goes for both factions.

    So after this poll that shows that the majority of Alliance players would choose another elf race over anything else, and this poll showing that the vast majority of players want remodeled vanilla races over 2 new races, should Blizzard even bother creating new races for this game? Should Blizzard instead focus on making the existing races more interesting so that the race distribution looks a bit more like the class distribution?

    What do you think?
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-06-01 at 09:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned True Anarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shadowlag Valley
    Posts
    7,543
    There comes a point at which it feels very bloated to have so many different races. I already was iffy about the pandaren ... and even Worgen seemed like a weird addition to me. The further they stray away from Warcraft III, the less I recognize the game as a Warcraft game.

    They -could- add a bunch of new races still, from gnolls to kobolds to fey dragons to water giants to scorpids, but at one point it's just going to feel stretched too far from the original lore. I'd rather they just sticked to what they have right now in terms of races instead of making the game look like a circus.
    Last edited by True Anarch; 2013-06-01 at 10:31 AM.

  3. #3
    On either faction? Not really, except for High Elf and Ogre. Neutral races? Sure, we should have more Neutral races.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    The further they stray away from Warcraft III, the less I recognize the game as a Warcraft game.
    This is a good point, and why I think Draenei should've been just been broken (as seen in WCIII) and not angelic space goats. Worgen were also kind of random, didn't ened to be a player race, they were fine as NPCs. Horde is good in this regard.

    The problem is that the Horde is more 'open' to a greater variety of physiologgically and morally diverse groups. So, Naga, for example are a race lots of people would like to see, but would fit better in the Horde. Same goes for Ogres. It's not because the Alliance is innately racist or human-looking supremacist; but because the Alliance is the faction of established Azerothian powers. Adding new members dilutes and confuses what they are. The Alliance of Azeroth is like 'the Allied forces' of Europe in WWI and WWII- a coalition of top-dogs, established prosperous nations with long standing colonial holdings. They were 'the establishment'- whereas the Horde is a lot like the Axis forces- a coalition of new players, unstable and authoritarian regimes who were too late to the party to gwt their own colonial empires, and want a bigger slice of the pie. Old guard, and new guard.

    It's based on this reasoning that I think that it'd be better if the two factions weren't so perfectly mirrored. Give Alliance model upgrades of their core races and quit adding random shit to their ranks. Let them be the proud and shining defenders of the realm from the monstrous savaers and invaders. Let the Horde be a disparate mix of questionable factions with the common problem of needing to fight for a place in a world that doesn't want them. I was ok with the Alliance exclusively having paladins, and the Horde having Shamans. I'm ok with the Alliance having geopolitical dominance over the 'good bits' of Azeroth, and the Horde being a warlike force that is pushed to desperate measures by having to scratch a living out of barren and inhospitable outer regions. Nelves should thoroughly control Northern and western Kalimdor. Winterspring, Azshara, Ashenvale, Hyjal, Moonglade, Darkshore, Stonemaul, and Feralas should all have major Nelf cities in them. Horde should feel the pressure bearing down on them, and be more established in places like Desolace, Tanaris, Sillithis, and Uldum.

    When I play Horde, I don't want to feel like an equivalent faction balanced against the Alliance with positive and negatives in similar proportion. I want to feel like an abused and violent dog backed into a corner. I want most of the world to be a hostile zone for me, to rampage across these sectioned estates, then rest in the remote and inhospitable reachers where the iron fist of the alliance can't relatiliate.

    WCII used to have the factions as perfectly mirrored and balanced; and in terms of gameplay it was dull. Advancing to the 3 armies different but balanced model of WCIII and Starcraft was way better. They should think about it for WoW 2 (because too much is invested into the current framing of WoW to change, I think).

  5. #5
    As a general rule no.

    There are already many races available presenting a range of possibilities. It is preferable to develop and improve current races (especially their background and narrative development) rather than adding new ones.

    However there are some races that, for reasons of marqueting and greater involvement with the plot should be playable, I mean neutral races associated with some expansions, as were the Pandaren in MoP or will the Nagas in the expansion of Azshara.

    Finally we must not forget of the last two basic races for the Horde and the Alliance that have yet to be added. I refer of course to the Ogres and High Elves. In fact I think that these should be the last two races that can be assigned to each faction individually, as all other races could develop as neutral races.

    As a conclusion:

    • Urgent races for both the Horde and the Alliance: Ogres / High Elves
    • Accessory neutral races: Nagas (among many others)


  6. #6
    we will always need new toys and things to play with, blizzard cant add in new classes every expansion and they cant add in new model upgrades every expansion.

    tell me what vanity/graphic change they could have as a selling point that couldnt be done via transmog?

    the only thing i can think of is sub races for existed races which probably isnt something they are thinking about doing right now.

    point is we will continue to get races as long as the game keeps going
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    On either faction? Not really, except for High Elf and Ogre. Neutral races? Sure, we should have more Neutral races.
    Also High Elves are ridiculous and don't exist anymore. The 'High Elves' you see in the game are Blood Elves in denial, who refuse to take the name to honour the fact that 90% of their race died in a horrible catastrophe, refused help rebuild their homeland and assist their people in their greatest time in need, and instead chose to abandon them all, then join their enemies, then kill them. High Elves are a very small band of sociopathic traitors, it beggars belief that the Alliance would even take them in (High Elves were never a part of this Alliance).

    High Elves died with the despoiling of Quel'thalas. The silver covenant are a bunch of children who think by preserving the past in a jar they somehow can deny the present; who enjoy the luxury of looking down upon the blood elves for the measures they took to survive, whilst enjoying the fruits those measures secured (in the blood elf outland campaign and rebuilding/purging of undeath from Quel'thalas- resulting ultimately in a reignited sunwell).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    This is a good point, and why I think Draenei should've been just been broken (as seen in WCIII) and not angelic space goats. Worgen were also kind of random, didn't ened to be a player race, they were fine as NPCs. Horde is good in this regard.

    The problem is that the Horde is more 'open' to a greater variety of physiologgically and morally diverse groups. So, Naga, for example are a race lots of people would like to see, but would fit better in the Horde. Same goes for Ogres. It's not because the Alliance is innately racist or human-looking supremacist; but because the Alliance is the faction of established Azerothian powers. Adding new members dilutes and confuses what they are. The Alliance of Azeroth is like 'the Allied forces' of Europe in WWI and WWII- a coalition of top-dogs, established prosperous nations with long standing colonial holdings. They were 'the establishment'- whereas the Horde is a lot like the Axis forces- a coalition of new players, unstable and authoritarian regimes who were too late to the party to gwt their own colonial empires, and want a bigger slice of the pie. Old guard, and new guard.

    It's based on this reasoning that I think that it'd be better if the two factions weren't so perfectly mirrored. Give Alliance model upgrades of their core races and quit adding random shit to their ranks. Let them be the proud and shining defenders of the realm from the monstrous savaers and invaders. Let the Horde be a disparate mix of questionable factions with the common problem of needing to fight for a place in a world that doesn't want them. I was ok with the Alliance exclusively having paladins, and the Horde having Shamans. I'm ok with the Alliance having geopolitical dominance over the 'good bits' of Azeroth, and the Horde being a warlike force that is pushed to desperate measures by having to scratch a living out of barren and inhospitable outer regions. Nelves should thoroughly control Northern and western Kalimdor. Winterspring, Azshara, Ashenvale, Hyjal, Moonglade, Darkshore, Stonemaul, and Feralas should all have major Nelf cities in them. Horde should feel the pressure bearing down on them, and be more established in places like Desolace, Tanaris, Sillithis, and Uldum.

    When I play Horde, I don't want to feel like an equivalent faction balanced against the Alliance with positive and negatives in similar proportion. I want to feel like an abused and violent dog backed into a corner. I want most of the world to be a hostile zone for me, to rampage across these sectioned estates, then rest in the remote and inhospitable reachers where the iron fist of the alliance can't relatiliate.

    WCII used to have the factions as perfectly mirrored and balanced; and in terms of gameplay it was dull. Advancing to the 3 armies different but balanced model of WCIII and Starcraft was way better. They should think about it for WoW 2 (because too much is invested into the current framing of WoW to change, I think).
    so what you're saying is horde should get all the new races?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  9. #9
    Epic! Naztrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nagrand Arena
    Posts
    1,532
    Good thing there are more orc than blood elves my horde realm. If we allready get new races then I want 2 things: old races remodeled and no more elves pls

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Also High Elves are ridiculous and don't exist anymore. The 'High Elves' you see in the game are Blood Elves in denial, who refuse to take the name to honour the fact that 90% of their race died in a horrible catastrophe, refused help rebuild their homeland and assist their people in their greatest time in need, and instead chose to abandon them all, then join their enemies, then kill them. High Elves are a very small band of sociopathic traitors, it beggars belief that the Alliance would even take them in (High Elves were never a part of this Alliance).

    High Elves died with the despoiling of Quel'thalas. The silver covenant are a bunch of children who think by preserving the past in a jar they somehow can deny the present; who enjoy the luxury of looking down upon the blood elves for the measures they took to survive, whilst enjoying the fruits those measures secured (in the blood elf outland campaign and rebuilding/purging of undeath from Quel'thalas- resulting ultimately in a reignited sunwell).
    please stop, the ONLY reason blood elves arent alliance is because of population issues
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk gypsybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    1,913
    I don't have a problem with new races, brings more variety into characters. Just as long as we don't keep adding classes and screw with balance into the game.

  12. #12
    when one of the elves greatest heroes was nicknamed orcslayer you know them siding with the horde makes no sense
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  13. #13
    Warchief TheDangerZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burt Reynolds' stache
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Also High Elves are ridiculous and don't exist anymore. The 'High Elves' you see in the game are Blood Elves in denial, who refuse to take the name to honour the fact that 90% of their race died in a horrible catastrophe, refused help rebuild their homeland and assist their people in their greatest time in need, and instead chose to abandon them all, then join their enemies, then kill them. High Elves are a very small band of sociopathic traitors, it beggars belief that the Alliance would even take them in (High Elves were never a part of this Alliance).

    High Elves died with the despoiling of Quel'thalas. The silver covenant are a bunch of children who think by preserving the past in a jar they somehow can deny the present; who enjoy the luxury of looking down upon the blood elves for the measures they took to survive, whilst enjoying the fruits those measures secured (in the blood elf outland campaign and rebuilding/purging of undeath from Quel'thalas- resulting ultimately in a reignited sunwell).
    Talking about extreme bias y'all!

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral Lostwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Under the couch
    Posts
    1,011
    The developers are already struggling to involve every race in a story. There is only a limited amount of time and resources to develop the races. More races simply translates into that development being spread thinner.
    Last edited by Lostwood; 2013-06-01 at 10:49 AM.

  15. #15
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Also High Elves are ridiculous and don't exist anymore. The 'High Elves' you see in the game are Blood Elves in denial, who refuse to take the name to honour the fact that 90% of their race died in a horrible catastrophe, refused help rebuild their homeland and assist their people in their greatest time in need, and instead chose to abandon them all, then join their enemies, then kill them. High Elves are a very small band of sociopathic traitors, it beggars belief that the Alliance would even take them in (High Elves were never a part of this Alliance).

    High Elves died with the despoiling of Quel'thalas. The silver covenant are a bunch of children who think by preserving the past in a jar they somehow can deny the present; who enjoy the luxury of looking down upon the blood elves for the measures they took to survive, whilst enjoying the fruits those measures secured (in the blood elf outland campaign and rebuilding/purging of undeath from Quel'thalas- resulting ultimately in a reignited sunwell).
    I gotta agree. Blood Elves were the perfect addition to the Horde. They represented a great race that was torn down from its heights of glory, and then got brought to the edge of extinction by Arthas and then trampled on by the Alliance. Lor'themar vowing that the Blood Elves would no longer be pushed around by either the Horde or the Alliance was a great culmination of all the crap the Blood Elves had gone through up to that point.

    Adding High Elves as a playable race pisses all of that great history away, and makes Blood Elves obsolete as a race in the game (and would confuse the hell out of new players). That would be a horrible thing for the game because it would make faction imbalance even more pronounced, and make the Alliance playerbase nothing more than a collection of Humans and Elves.

  16. #16
    i had rather that they stick too the current races and wait atleast 1 expansion before adding more.

    i feel the same about new classes.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    The developers are already struggling to involve every race. There is only a limited amount of time and resources to develop the races. More races simply translates into that development being spread thinner.
    but why is it required that every race be developed equally and at the same time? why shouldnt we expect for them to be developed when it makes sense for the story?

    even if it were still just the vanilla races we would have this same problem, we shouldnt expect for every race to always have their moment in the spotlight all the time
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  18. #18
    Did the game ever need any new ones?

    It has become so common to redundantly overthink everything. Everybody's playing analyst and game designer. What's so bad about new races. My God. It's always fun to see something new. It would certainly be no tragedy if they don't implement any new races any more. But if they do, seriously, why not. "Race representation" - who gives a damn? How is that important? What useless ideal is that, to have equal player distribution among all races? I can see how class distribution is important, but race, come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    every video game has gamey aspects to it

  19. #19
    Legendary! Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Beautiful city of Duwang
    Posts
    6,128
    But...but i need my catgirl race for horde !!! Still would make more sense than lolpandas

    So yeah we really need them.

  20. #20
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    With speculation about the next expansion continuing to brew, I had a question for the forum;

    Does WoW need anymore races at this point?

    Using this site here;

    http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

    I realized that over 30% of players on the Alliance side play humans, while almost 30% of players on the Horde side play Blood Elves. The other remaining 6 races on each side were quite a bit lower. Of course almost 20% of the Alliance players also play as Night elves. So over 50% of Alliance players are either Humans or Elves, while almost 30% of Horde players are Blood elves. In contrast, the least populated Horde and Alliance races are Goblins (9%) and Pandaren (5%) and Dwarves (8%) and Pandaren (6%) respectively.

    The class distribution is far better. The top class is at 12%, while the bottom class is at 5%. This goes for both factions.

    So after this poll that shows that the majority of Alliance players would choose another elf race over anything else, and this poll showing that the vast majority of players want remodeled vanilla races over 2 new races, should Blizzard even bother creating new races for this game? Should Blizzard instead focus on making the existing races more interesting so that the race distribution looks a bit more like the class distribution?

    What do you think?
    You reading the stats wrong........

    At level 90 it's 16.1% Human and 10.5% Night Elf. That makes a total of 26.6% And not over 50%.
    And there are some very important reasons:

    1. Trinket... If you PVP....... Every Man for Himself. Human racial.
    2. Druid. Up until Worgen got introduced, Night Elfs were the exclusive Druid race on Alliance side. Makes all those Druids not go away, just because Worgen exist now.
    You are reading too much into these stats. Since they also include toons that may not have been played in a long time.
    And regarding the polls. They only reflect nerd opinion somewhat. A few hundred WoW nerds on the specialized platform MMO Champion are hardly any valuable representation compared to the millions of players, of which the vast majority never bothers to use any online platform like this site or others at all.
    We here are an extreme minority. Our opinions are anecdotal at the best.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •