Yes, Another relationship thread.

inb4 cliche relationship thread.

Halp!! I need advice. I just recently started dating my best friend that I've known for over a decade, and initially, it made me ridiculously happy. I felt like I was on top of the world. I still am extremely happy, but there's a problem. This is my first real relationship, and I'm super new to the boyfriend role. I need things to do that separate me from the best friend role and transition me to the partner role. I care about her so much, and I don't want this to end prematurely because I can't show her that we can be great together. Any and and all advice is welcome.
    Last edited by antigravitydogs; 2013-05-29 at 04:41 AM.
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

Just stick your penis in her from time to time; transition complete.

Seriously, if she liked you enough as a best friend to "upgrade" you, then she likes what you're doing. Don't fuck it up by changing who you are.

Just don't be an idiot.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best advice you can get is from her. Talk to her. Discuss things. If you've been her best friend for 10+ years, you ought to know her pretty well. Communicate.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Well, some people want a romantic partner. Assess the kind of long term role she's looking for, and be what they need. Thoughtful stuff like flowers or food, people love to be given food. Hmmmmm, well it's hard to say since I dunno them. Don't try to change them, it doesn't work and you'll resent each other. Help/encourage them to pursue interests that don't necessarily involve you.

It would help to describe your relationship dynamic, and what they're like in the OP.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2013-05-29 at 04:54 AM.

The people above me said what I wanted to say. Congrats on getting out of the friendzone, too. Another thing... if you feel an argument coming on, or something similar. Compromise, talk it out and meet her halfway. Talking things out, discussing them rationally without yelling and accusations goes along way. My husband and I have been married for 1 year, and together for 6 We're happy as can be. We both feel that one of our defining relationship points is how we communicate. It TRULY IS key.

And listen to her, be direct, as well. I hate it when my husband tries to lead me around the mulberry bush. Luckily he only does it when he wants something, or has a surprise for me :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by antigravitydogs View Post

Halp!! I need advice. I just recently started dating my best friend that I've known for over a decade, and initially, it made me ridiculously happy. I felt like I was on top of the world. I still am extremely happy, but there's a problem. This is my first real relationship, and I'm super new to the boyfriend role. I need things to do that separate me from the best friend role and transition me to the partner role. I care about her so much, and I don't want this to end prematurely because I can't show her that we can be great together. Any and and all advice is welcome.
    Stop thinking about it so much and just go with it.

The above line will pretty much solve your relationship problems, no matter the problem. It's quite simple.
    Call me House.

Deleted
    just be who u were and dont seem too fixated / give alot of extra attention to her more then before.

Just keep doing what you're doing. She liked you because of what you already were.

Don't overthink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Seems like she already loves you for who you are. Don't go trying to change.
    My only advice is don't underestimate that value of communication in a relationship. I've had a bad long term relationship and I'm currently in a very good one.
    The issue that defined the bad one, was the fact that we did not communicate very well with each other. If one was upset, we'd leave the hurt to fester until it exploded into a massive row.
    Don't let problems get that far. Talk. Discuss. Be prepared to compromise, but make sure you aren't always the one that is making concessions - Nobody respects a doormat.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want advice from a super stud like myself,don't ever try to transition from best friend to boyfriend,even if your with her still be her best friend,nothing has to change,when you start being more of a boyfriend than a best friend thats when shit gets serious and you will fuck up,and she will say things like "i liked it better when we were friends". Seriously the best couples when they get married always say "i didnt only marry my husband/wife i married my best friend aswell".

Just incase you need more persuasion DONT CHANGE A THING!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by antigravitydogs View Post

no, you absolutely do NOT need to.

being her boyfriend is, and should be, being her best friend who occasionally gets to kiss and bone her.

how occasionally is largely up to you (her).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Seriously, if she liked you enough as a best friend to "upgrade" you, then she likes what you're doing. Don't fuck it up by changing who you are.

Just don't be an idiot.
    The Cake is the Truth! You don't need to change, aside from physical intimacy. It was you she liked in the first place.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-05-29 at 06:31 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    On her birthday make her a nice dinner AND go down on her.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Is this a first relationship for her, too?

She's the first person you should be asking these questions to, not us random folks on the internet. And if you're shy about asking her, try asking your parents, your pastor, her parents, your friends. They know far more about the situation than we ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Just don't be an idiot.
    This. If you've gone from best-friend to boyfriend then you're doing it right, so keep doing it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-29 at 05:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    On her birthday make her a nice dinner AND go down on her.
    That's what I call two-for-one Tuesdays.. Giggidy.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Perhaps she's with you because she likes you for what you are, and suddenly overthinking things and trying to put on some "boyfriend act" would only ruin something that seems to be working pretty well so far.