Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Blizzcon 2013 / WoW expansion

BlizzCon isnt until November, 6 months from now, meaning patch 5.4 will be near its middle-end and that a new expansion would be hitting the stores soon. So wouldnt they announce the next Expansion long before November?
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Deleted
    That's a question a lot of people have been asking. I think there will at least be a 5.5 maybe even a 5.6 with filler content. That or they'll announce the xpac before Blizzcon and it'll come sooner than expected.

Way I see it we'll have a few months of 5.3, then at least 6 months of 5.4 - which puts next expansion early 2014 sometime. November is about right for an announcement.

---------- Post added 2013-05-29 at 06:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    That's a question a lot of people have been asking. I think there will at least be a 5.5 maybe even a 5.6 with filler content.
    Seriously doubt it.

Does nobody else remember the long ends to all the previous expansions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

No idea what the marketing ramifications would be, but maybe they could reveal a near completed product at blizzcon that releases only a few weeks after. that would get people super stoked, I think. (of course it would be leaked before then).

November would also be way too late for the announcement of a d3 expansion, and about the right time for the final SC2 installment announcement.

The only time Blizzard has launched an expansion early in the year was with TBC in february. All other expansions has been late summer/autumn.

And I seriously doubt that they will ever launch an expansion before the summer break that (some/a lot of) people take from online gaming.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Which they don't want to repeat.

I see an announcement before Blizzcon coming.

Deleted
    Way I see it we'll have a few months of 5.3, then at least 6 months of 5.4 - which puts next expansion early 2014 sometime. November is about right for an announcement.
    If the expansion is announced in November, then early 2014 is way too early for a release. MoP was announced at Blizzcon 2011 in October. It took almost a year to release it.

Seriously doubt it.

And that's what they're trying to avoid.

Deleted
    That's a question a lot of people have been asking. I think there will at least be a 5.5 maybe even a 5.6 with filler content. That or they'll announce the xpac before Blizzcon and it'll come sooner than expected.
    Starting from today.

Say aprox 1 month of 5.3 Takes us to July.
    SOO 4 months Takes us to November (and announcment of beta testing the expansion)
    3 Months of Beta Testing takes us to February for release.
    During the three months of beta testing there would be the content filler to introduce the next expansion

I am guessing new year at the earliest, that is assuming they run the beta for a short period and over the same time as SOO.

If they keep up with their schedule 5.4 will be released around the end of September or beginning of October. That would put Blizzcon roughly a month after the patch launched which means the next expansion would be late March/early April at the earliest. They could definitely get an announcement off at Blizzcon and start beta soon after.

Each major tier content patch is designed to last 3-4 months, we've had 2months of this tier and we're looking at maybe 2months+ longer of this tier with the possibility of PTR being in a month. So, going by those estimates we got 1,5 tiers left for mop (6 months), so when blizzcon comes a couple things can happen, a filler raid, a major event (which I think is going to happen) or release of the next expo is closer than we think.

A major event patch (think pre cata or pre naxx 40) can be running while the next expo is in open beta.
    Like others have said I feel like there's a 2-3 month "hole" after blizzcon, what they intend to fill that with is prob gonna get talked about at blizzcon or earlier.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Starting from today.

Say aprox 1 month of 5.3 Takes us to July.
    SOO 4 months Takes us to November (and announcment of beta testing the expansion)
    3 Months of Beta Testing takes us to February for release.
    During the three months of beta testing there would be the content filler to introduce the next expansion

I am guessing new year at the earliest, that is assuming they run the beta for a short period and over the same time as SOO.
    I doubt beta testing will start immediately after the announcement.
    I doubt it will last only 3 months.
    I doubt the expansion will release immediately after beta testing is finished.

I think we get a 5.5 patch to introduce the storyline of the new expansion, with 6.0 after. It makes sense since Wrathion is already mumbling about stuff, yet there's not enough to get us excited for. Also this way they can easaly announce the expansion at blizzcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    I think we get a 5.5 patch to introduce the storyline of the new expansion, with 6.0 after. It makes sense since Wrathion is already mumbling about stuff, yet there's not enough to get us excited for. Also this way they can easaly announce the expansion at blizzcon.
    Yea, they have already hinted at a 5.5 where we will most likely find out who the new warchief is.

November announcement? If the new expansion is going to be early 2014 beta for it would have to start little after 5.4 goes live. A new expansion doesn't just show up.

If it really is coming that soon we'll know before blizzcon but who knows how much past 5.4 this expansion has.
    Last edited by Wow; 2013-05-29 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    Which they don't want to repeat.

I see an announcement before Blizzcon coming.
    And that's what they're trying to avoid.
    Avoid = SoO lasts 6 months instead of 12. Expansions don't make themselves.

---------- Post added 2013-05-29 at 07:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    November announcement? If the new expansion is going to be early 2014 beta for it would have to start little after 5.4 goes live. A new expansion doesn't just show up.
    Then mid 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    No idea what the marketing ramifications would be, but maybe they could reveal a near completed product at blizzcon that releases only a few weeks after. that would get people super stoked, I think. (of course it would be leaked before then).

November would also be way too late for the announcement of a d3 expansion, and about the right time for the final SC2 installment announcement.
    I don't understand this part - Blizzard don't usually leak what makes you say such?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowwind View Post
    I don't understand this part - Blizzard don't usually leak what makes you say such?
    I believe just about any expansion has had info put on MMO-Champ before the official announcement. I remember them posting about how Blizzard had trademarked the name 'Cataclysm' and wild speculations about how they would redo the entire old world ran rampant. Turned out to be mere speculation, of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    I believe just about any expansion has had info put on MMO-Champ before the official announcement. I remember them posting about how Blizzard had trademarked the name 'Cataclysm' and wild speculations about how they would redo the entire old world ran rampant. Turned out to be mere speculation, of course.
    The best discussion was about MoP, how it was mobile game, comic book or even TGC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowwind View Post
    Essentially, Blizzard already knows what it is and they have staff that "anonymously" leak information occasionally. Also, public information can provide strong clues.

For Mists of Pandaria, it was Mysnc (IIRC) who noticed a patent had been registered and that all roads pointed to Rome. He posted it here, Boub was comfortable that it was legitimate enough to post on the front page, and Mists of Pandaria started being argued about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if 5.4 will be sooner or later. 5.3 really, really felt disappointing to me.